Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ravens Rookie Class Gets Bad Marks for Participation

As a group the 2013 rookies managed to take just 1,345 snaps – 1,034 of those belonging to Matt Elam.

Comparatively speaking the other conference championship participants from the 2012 season had rookie classes that had snap counts of 2,401 (Falcons), 2,202 (Patriots) and 1,872 (49ers).

So what happened?

Is there a disconnect between the scouts and the coaches?

Did Ozzie Newsome have a bad draft?

MORE HERE
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Re: Ravens Rookie Class Gets Bad Marks for Participation

I'm not concerned. Brown, Williams, Simon and Juszczyk will all contribute significantly next year. Wagner could very well be our starting RT. We'll see about Lewis-Moore.

I wonder how the Ravens would compare if you added Marlon Brown's snaps.

I know Marlon Brown was not a Draft Pick... But Im just curious, how many snaps did he play? Does including him bring the total snap count up to 2000 snaps? When you take ALL of the Rookies into acct. how do the Ravens match up with the league?

IMO opinion, it's hard to compete with draftees starting right away when you are picking in the #28-#32 range for 5-6 years instead of the top ten every year like some teams. And Ozzie has a reputation of finding an UDFA here and there who get a lot of time. And in reality that's a better Salary vs. Contribution than some of those teams getting their asses kicked week in and week out with higher paid top 10 (sure thing) picks getting playing time... like Sam Bradford, Tavon Austin or Matthew Stafford. And, some of those guys aren't contributing they had hoped.

Quote Originally Posted by Money227 View Post
    Yes... beat me to it. ;)

Marlon had 791 offensive snaps this year (and 7 Special Teams snaps).

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Marlon had 791 offensive snaps this year (and 7 Special Teams snaps).

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts
    Okay...so throw them in and they are ahead of the 49ers and right there with the Patriots.

Okay...so throw them in and they are ahead of the 49ers and right there with the Patriots.
    But, you also have to add the 49ers and Pats UDFA snaps as well...

I'm not concerned. Brown, Williams, Simon and Juszczyk will all contribute significantly next year. Wagner could very well be our starting RT. We'll see about Lewis-Moore.

I worry about Simon. He reminds me of Zibby 2.0. Different position but basically a heart guy that is just not athletic enough for their position but a good Special Teamer.

Brown and Williams I am not really worried about. It shocked me that Williams was thought so highly of at the beginning of the year. It is a very difficult transition from college to NFL for interior linemen. The fact that he came from a real small school made it more difficult. Brown will get there. He missed time in the pre season. He will be ready to go this year.

I am excited about KLM. He was the best all around Dline guy at ND last year. The other two guys are going to be 1st rounders this year. If he comes back 100% he will be a good player.

I am probably least excited about Elam. He seems to have the lowest ceiling. He does not seem to be a playmaker. I think he will be a solid to above average SS.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post
    But, you also have to add the 49ers and Pats UDFA snaps as well...
    Yeah and I'm pretty sure the Pats played quite a few of those. At the very least they had Vellano as an UDFA start most of the year

Blog Entries

This also doesn't include special teams FWIW

Strangely I remember an article last year that talked about how quickly the Ravens plug in their rookies as opposed to other teams. I think 3 rookies started in the Superbowl, while 9ers had none.

Draft em to play em

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by landshark52 View Post
    Yeah and I'm pretty sure the Pats played quite a few of those. At the very least they had Vellano as an UDFA start most of the year
    Yeah, looks like Vellano had 664 defensive snaps and Kenbrell Thompkins had 574 offensive snaps.

Those are the only two I can think of, but there are probably a couple more with more limited snaps.

Not sure about the 49ers.

The Falcons started UDFA rookies at both their ILB spots for most of the year (Worrilow and Bartu).

This post isn't really accurate at all. According to Rotowire, Elam played 1,087 total snaps this year, not 1,034. He played 946 snaps on Defense, 141 on Special Teams

This is kind of a dumb stat anyway because it's all contextual. Our draft class this year just happened to be positions in which we didn't need to see many snaps out of them this year because of who was already in front of them on the depth chart.

Matt Elam saw his appropriate share for a 1st round pick filling a starter role, but none of the other guys we really needed as starters for much of the year. Elam played 946 Defensive snaps this year, 141 S/T snaps (1,087 total).

Marlon Brown (rookie UDFA) was pretty valuable to us this year and lead our receiving corps in TD's. He played 726 Offensive snaps this year, 7 S/T snaps (733 total).

Arthur Brown started the year injured and was then behind Smith and McClain and you had Bynes in there as well, he played 201 Defensive snaps this year, 215 S/T snaps (416 total).

Brandon Williams was behind Ngata and Cody mostly and played 75 Defensive snaps this year, 30 S/T snaps (105 total).

Kyle Juszczyk was a backup FB on a team that barely even used their starting FB all season. He was, however, notably valuable on S/T all year as a blocker. Juice played 4 Offensive snaps this year, 353 S/T snaps (357 total).

John Simon was behind Suggs, Dumervil, Upshaw, and McPhee. There was not much room for him. He's just depth for now. He played 4 Defensive snaps this year, 155 S/T snaps (159 total)

Ricky Wagner was a 6th round pick and was behind McKinnie (at first), Monroe (later) and Oher on the depth chart. He isn't better than McKinnie, Monroe or Oher so he never had much of a chance at playing time. He played 127 Offensive snaps this year, 65 S/T snaps (192 total)

Kapron Lewis-Moore was a 7th round pick because he was injured to end his college season and was drafted with the knowledge that he would be on IR all season. His true rookie year will be next year.

Ryan Jensen was a 7th round pick who was behind Gradkowski and Shipley on the depth chart. I don't know if he plays G too but he was behind a bunch of guys there too so he wouldn't have seen any playing time this year.

Aaron Mellette went on IR for the year, but he actually looks like he has some promise.

So overall, our rookies this year saw a TOTAL (including S/T) of 3,049 snaps. If you take out the Special Teams snaps, then our rookies saw a combined 2,083 snaps. Either way it was pretty much on par (or beyond) our usual rookie snap counts for the year.

I could be a little off with some of these, this is going by Rotowire's snap count statistics. But either way I think this article is hyperbole.
    Last edited by Medications; 01-10-2014 at 03:51 PM.