Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: C.J. Fiedorowicz

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I think he is what he is.

Kyle Rudolph is a similar type of player and he ran a 4.78 at the combine. He's more of a straight-line guy.

When I watch Fiedorowicz play, I see Heath Miller...and not because Iowa has a similar color scheme to the Steelers. I think their skills are very comparable.

The biggest knock on him is he isn't a YAC guy at all.
    Heath Miller is a spot on comp IMO.

I'd like to see a lot more nasty and leg strength with CJF. The latter will come over time, I'm sure. Probably not the former, but he can be coached to use his hands and arms more.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

TE that I like better than CJ is Niklaus. Surprised that he entered the draft. He same size maybe a bit bigger. He runs better and gets better YAC. He is also fairly new to the TE position. Only been playing it the last 3 years. He was projected as a DE or OT when he was being recruited. He would be a great complimentary TE to a Dennis Pitta. As he is a good blocker.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see a 4.85 TE dominating in today's NFL unless he is a superb hands guy. If you are that slow, you better be able to catch every contested ball, b/c the coverage is going to be on you like a glove. From what I've watched on CJ, he isn't even close to Heath in terms of highpointing/snatching that ball from defenders. And I don't think that can be 'taught' to an elite level. It can be improved, yes, but it will never be a skillset where CJ is best in the league. With that lack of speed, he needs elite hands or else he is just another TE in league.

My $.02 draft profile... wouldn't take him before the 4th.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Wow I didn't realize how thin the TE crop was this year. Maybe it'd be better to look at a free agent.

Can't believe guys like Ben Watson are still playing. Would've been nice to have him around this year
    Finding a TE who can block and catch is pretty rare. That's why Watson keeps making teams.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    I'm sorry, but I just don't see a 4.85 TE dominating in today's NFL unless he is a superb hands guy. If you are that slow, you better be able to catch every contested ball, b/c the coverage is going to be on you like a glove. From what I've watched on CJ, he isn't even close to Heath in terms of highpointing/snatching that ball from defenders. And I don't think that can be 'taught' to an elite level. It can be improved, yes, but it will never be a skillset where CJ is best in the league. With that lack of speed, he needs elite hands or else he is just another TE in league.

My $.02 draft profile... wouldn't take him before the 4th.
    I agree with this. I'm actually not sure how much daylight there is between what we are saying and what some of the other guys on here are saying. I don't think people who are higher on Fiedorowicz than you and I are saying he has the potential to be dominant. I think people think to themselves, "oh he could be a good #2/blocking TE at the next level." But the reality is you can get guys like that in the 7th round or as UDFAs. Why in the world would you spend a high pick on a guy whose upside is backup-caliber?

Any team that drafts Fiedorowicz and expects to get a do-it-all starting TE is going to be disappointed. He is absolutely not athletic enough to be a "flex" type TE who can move around and run the full route tree. He can block well, find some holes in intermediate zones, and catch checkdowns; all of the old-school TE stuff. In today's NFL, those kinds of TEs are rapidly becoming obsolete.

The best current player comparison to Fiedorowicz is probably Scott Chandler (coincidence? I think not), but Chandler was a better athlete coming out of school. Fiedorowicz looks like the 2013 version of Chandler coming off an ACL tear. And hell, if they want Scott Chandler, why not just sign Scott Chandler for a veteran minimum deal?

IF the Heath Miller comparison is accurate as an "overall" player... Good Blocker and catcher, limited athletically..

Then I like him as a second option, assuming Pitta is retained. IF Pitta is NOT retained, Then I think it might be better to go after a more athletic T in the draft, and get Brandon Pettigrew on the cheap in FA.

Blog Entries

Find a big fast basketball player and convert him

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Find a big fast basketball player and convert him
    That would be Austin Seferian-Jenkins.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    That would be Austin Seferian-Jenkins.
    CJ was a four year letterman in BB also

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

CJ was a four year letterman in BB also

That he was.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Honestly, CJ reminds me of a slightly better Quinn Sypniewski. Same size, speed, and stats as a SR.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    Honestly, CJ reminds me of a slightly better Quinn Sypniewski. Same size, speed, and stats as a SR.
    wasnt sypniewski a pretty decent player with a knack for getting open before he blew out his knees 30 catches 300 yards as a blocking first TE? Im not sure why i should be opposed to a player like that. plus at 6'7" he has a natural advantage of most LBs. I havent seen enough to say he doesnt catch away from his body but as long as he does that well hell be a mismatch even when covered.

where are people getting his speed? there hasnt been combine or pro-day yet right?
    -JAB