Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Who to Re-Sign, Who to Let Go of

I would like Daryl Smith, Monroe, and Pitta back, but ideally, if we can get it done, bring Grahame back, as he's a really solid number 3 corner in the league, and can start and perform at a decent level. The Ravens really like all four of those guys, but retaining Grahame may be quite a task as other teams will be offering him a starting place for Cary Williams type money....

Blog Entries

Graham i dont think will draw anywhere near what Cary did. Cary had size and was a bonafide starter, our best in 2012. Graham to me is filler. He had an up and down season and was clearly the 3rd CB on the team. Ozzie likes depth in the secondary and I think he can be had for a cheaper deal. if its anything close to that, im fine with letting him walk and going with Asa and Chykie and a rookie.
    -JAB

Extend Suggs. He would be a valuable contributor for 2-3 years if paid accordingly. If you cut him while it saves cap money this year it also creates dead money and an hole on the roster. Will Suggs realize that he is not going to get much on the open market and be amenable to a deal? If they cut him he will be gone like Dumervil. There is no going back once they take the dead money.

Must sign Monroe. Must sign Pitta.

I would try and sign Graham and D Smith to reasonable contracts. If they want to too much money you let them walk.

Release Leach and McLain.
    They probably have to release JJ this year as well. He will be missed on special teams and as a 4th wr but money is going to be tight.
    Let Ihedigbo go as it is clear they do not feel they can start to SS. Starting to wonder if Elam was best use of 1st rounder last year.

Blog Entries

Absolutely Must Sign:
    Eugene Monroe (Why sign Joe to 120 mil and give up 2 mid round draft picks to only get half a season for this guy)
    Dennis Pitta (Do I really need to post a reason?)
    Jacoby Jones (Playmaker, pure and simple)

Really Should Sign:
    Daryl Smith (Can't let one of our most solid defenders go)
    Arthur Jones (I've heard this ain't gonna happen, but he still makes this list)
    Corey Graham (We have Asa Jackson, but I hate seeing a decent corner walk)

Right Player/Right Price
    Terrence Cody
    James Ihedigbo
    Jeromy Miles
    Bernard Scott

Do Not Sign:
    Dallas Clark
    Brandon Stokley
    Ed Dickson
    Michael Oher

The only guy who absolutely MUST be re-signed to a long-term deal is Eugene Monroe. I think we're all in agreement on that one. I would really, really like to see them re-sign Daryl Smith and Dennis Pitta to team-friendly deals, but they're not essential like Monroe.

At ILB I believe Arthur Brown will win a starting job next year, and they have Josh Bynes under control cheaply for another few years. He's not the best player on the team but he has experience as a starting ILB and he plays the run well. I would love to see Smith back, but they have some insurance behind him, he's quite old, and the team might not view him as a good investment above a certain price.

At TE, Pitta is a good player with a ton of chemistry with Joe, but he is quite old for a guy coming off his rookie contract. The franchise tag number for a TE is 6.7m, which is a lot, but it's probably less than the guaranteed money Pitta is asking for on a long-term deal. If Pitta's contract demands are not team-friendly enough, I would probably tag him and continue to negotiate, but be prepared to enter the 2014 season with him under the tag and then let him walk.

Those are the only 3 players that I really feel the Ravens should re-sign. The others are either not good players or not good value/talent investments.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    Do Not Sign:
    Dallas Clark
    Brandon Stokley
    Ed Dickson
    Michael Oher
    Clark and Stokeley are no-brainers because of age/physical status. Dickson and Oher due to disappointing early careers when they were thought to be part of the Ravens future. If these two turned out as their draft status would indicate, the Ravens would have less dependence on taking a TE early or over-paying Pitta, and we'd have less problems with restocking the Oline... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Clark and Stokeley are no-brainers because of age/physical status. Dickson and Oher due to disappointing early careers when they were thought to be part of the Ravens future. If these two turned out as their draft status would indicate, the Ravens would have less dependence on taking a TE early or over-paying Pitta, and we'd have less problems with restocking the Oline... Bc
    I would actually move Oher to the Right Player/Right Price category. If they could pay him to be the 6th lineman on the team I think it works. But my guess is some team will be willing to give him starting RT money.

I would actually move Oher to the Right Player/Right Price category. If they could pay him to be the 6th lineman on the team I think it works. But my guess is some team will be willing to give him starting RT money.
    If I was a GM out there, I would be looking to bring Oher in on a decent deal to play Guard.

I think he'd be a very good guard, and could play Tackle in a pinch due to injury, etc, at a reasonably decent level.
    Last edited by Doctor; 01-09-2014 at 02:09 PM.

Absolutely Must Sign:
    Eugene Monroe (Why sign Joe to 120 mil and give up 2 mid round draft picks to only get half a season for this guy)
    Dennis Pitta (Do I really need to post a reason?)
    Jacoby Jones (Playmaker, pure and simple)
    Completely agree with you on Jones, ERay. Surprised there's not more mention of him in this thread.

I know Ed Dickson caught a lot of flak early in the season for his play, and rightfully so, but I thought he had a decent second half. If we bring him back on the cheap to be a backup TE that wouldn't be terrible.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenstatsman View Post
    I know Ed Dickson caught a lot of flak early in the season for his play, and rightfully so, but I thought he had a decent second half. If we bring him back on the cheap to be a backup TE that wouldn't be terrible.
    Sorry, I wouldn't want to see that. If Pitta is resigned, I'd rather have a young TE with a future (like Furstenburg or a draft choice) rather than a guy who failed as a 3rd round draft choice, without IMO much upside... Bc

As mentioned above, Monroe is the only player I think we're in trouble if we can't bring back.

I'd like to see Daryl Smith back and I think he'd like to come back for another year. McClain is likely gone and I'd rather not see just Bynes and Brown in the middle. Smith should be inexpensive to retain.

I don't want to give big money to Pitta, but if a market for him fails to develop I'd like to see him back. Same goes for Corey Graham.

I would take Jacoby Jones back at a returner's salary, but I don't want to see him higher than fourth on our WR depth chart next season. I doubt this happens.

We can't afford to match what Art Jones is going to be offered.

Ihedigbo is the only other UFA I'd like to see back, and he'll probably get better money somewhere else, as we move Elam over to starting SS. He'd be a backup and would need to be paid like a backup. We have prospect safeties behind him.

I don't want Oher back as a guard, even in reserve. I think he needs to go false start for someone else.