Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Center Position

Re: Center Position

I think this type of move would ultimately depend on what happens with Suggs but if they could pull something like this off they'd have a ton of flexibility going into the draft. I feel pretty good about the prospects of Monroe, Smith and to a lesser extent Pitta even though that could get tricky. I didnt really expect any other signings of note other than those 3...bargain signings and the draft. But if they can shave Sugg's cap number a bit or get rid of it all together that creates room for a deal like this. Paying Monroe, Mack, and Yanda all at the same time put's pressure on the front office to win in the draft as far as Joe's weapons but i think that pressure was there anyway looking at our salary structure, who's available, etc.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    So, Eisenberg indicates that the Ravens liked the way Gino played this season, but they think his best role is as a depth guard/center instead of a starter.

We know the Ravens are likely going to resign Monroe and Ozzie indicated that he would have no problem letting Suggs walk if some things can't be worked out. His release yields almost $8 mill in cap space IIRC.

I know we have all kind of joked around about it, but is it really so outlandish or unlikely to think that the Ravens could target Alex Mack as soon as free agency hits?

Think about it...he has familiarity in the AC offense. He knows the AFC North. He is still young enough (28) to sign him for a long term deal and keep him into his mid 30's. Centers typically can play at a high level into their mid to late 30's. And while he would be pricey, would he be so expensive that the Ravens wouldn't or couldn't afford him? I'm not sure, but considering how important the running game is to the Ravens and how they have to protect Flacco in order to be successful, Mack's asking price might be worth it.

Christ Myers signed a 4 year $25 million deal in 2012.

Max Unger's deal is essentially a 5 year $25.5 million deal.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those are the highest paid centers in the NFL.

So, realistically, the Ravens could give him a deal averaging about 6-6.5 mill per year and he would be one of the hugest paid centers in the league.

Maybe a 5 year deal, worth $30 mill with $15 guaranteed.

Am I way off base here? I just think this is a scenario that could really work out well for Baltimore. The Ravens need a center. One of the top centers in the league is a free agent and doesn't want to stay in Cleveland.

Signing Mack gives them flexibility heading into the draft so they can focus on receivers, tight ends, safeties and maybe a pass rusher.

I'm sure it is probably a pipe dream, but it just makes sense for a lot of reasons and while Mack could command a lot of money, the top paid centers have the same costs as an average receiver or a below average tackle.

Sign Monroe.
    Sign Mack.

Draft a RT prospect to compete with Wagner.

Get KO healthy.

OL is infinitely better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Solo. Appreciate all the names you've been dropping. Any of those are better than what we got if we can
    afford them. Don't forget, fans were a little upset when Jason Brown left and Ozzie signed Birk who was the best C
    we ever had and he won a SB with him. Oz also signed Zuess when he needed a RT, so it will be somebody good.

I posted a link from the Ravens site on the Raiola thread that Ravens will bring in competition for Gino and that
    Ryan Jensen would compete. To his credit Gino said bring them all in and he'll compete but these guys will be a lot
    better and costlier than Shipley whom he beat out last summer but Eisenberg and the Ravens own site are saying the same thing. We need a better Center.

BTW Solo, when are you coming out with your first mock or have you?
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 01-08-2014 at 10:32 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Thanks Solo. Appreciate all the names you've been dropping. Any of those are better than what we got if we can
    afford them. Don't forget, fans were a little upset when Jason Brown left and Ozzie signed Birk who was the best C
    we ever had and he won a Sb with him. Oz also signed Zuess when he needed a RT, so it will be somebody good.

I posted a link from the Ravens site on the raiola thread that Ravens will bring in competition for Gino and that
    Ryan Jensen would compete. To his credit Gino said bring them all in and he'll compete but these guys will be a lot
    better than Shipley whom he beat out last summer.

BTW Solo, when are you coming out with your mock or have you?
    I've done a couple in the draft sub forum, but I'm working on a 3-round right now.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

OK,

I'll check them out and wait for the new one. I go to about 20 sites and mocks but will stick mostly to yours
    and nfldraftblitz.com. Thanks for doing my home work for me-lol.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I would love to see Mack here but I think it's unlikely, even if the Ravens make a strong offer, since he's said before his preference is to remain in Cleveland, he's going to allow Cleveland to match any offer, and Cleveland way more cap space than we do. That is, unless the Chud saga has caused him to change his mind.
    They all say that. They hope to drive up the price to the home team, by getting fans on the player's side.

What he's got to decide is whether he wants to spend the peak of his career rebuilding - yet again -- with that disaster of a sinking ship in Cleveland, or play on a winner. He cannot possibly believe in what they are doing there, so if they sign him, it's going to really cost them a hellacious sum.

any high end guys coming off injuries? I just think of where we were with MLB last year and we got a pretty good one out of the bargain bin.

The one thing about Ozzie, is it's usually the last person you expect...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I would love to see Mack here but I think it's unlikely, even if the Ravens make a strong offer, since he's said before his preference is to remain in Cleveland, he's going to allow Cleveland to match any offer, and Cleveland way more cap space than we do. That is, unless the Chud saga has caused him to change his mind.
    Mack said, and I quote, "I can't leave Cleveland. I'm just too loyal to Head Coach Eric Mangini, I mean Pat Shurmur, make that Rob Chudzinski, or the next guy." Now that's the kind of loyalty that bonds a player with a Head Coach... Bc

Blog Entries

I would let Suggs walk if it meant bolstering our oline. Having a solid oline is more important.

Blog Entries

Whats the word on Swanson in the draft? Ive saw a few mocks have him linked to us in the 2nd round. Best available Center or someone better to keep an eye on?
    -JAB

I don't see any big money contracts coming from the Ravens other than to their own free agents. The biggest contract will be to Monroe. After that the only other significant signing will be around Pitta or WR. They have to keep or replace Pitta and they need another WR. Whether they do it through the draft and free agency remains to be seen. They are going to be tight on funds so I see them going the veteran route on C. A two year deal for a guy in his early to mid thirties. Trying to draft a starting center is risky. One of the biggest problems this year was the inability to pick up blitzers, stunts and twists. A rookie may take time to adjust mentally.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Whats the word on Swanson in the draft? Ive saw a few mocks have him linked to us in the 2nd round. Best available Center or someone better to keep an eye on?
    The majority of info that I've read thru November had him at the top. Stork from FSU won the Remington and may be atop the latest rankings now.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Free Alex Mack!
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver