Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Center Position

Blog Entries

Re: Center Position

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    can you link the eisenberg article?

I dont think theyd give up so quick on Gino. I also dont think theyd spend big on a center, even a great one.
    http://m.baltimoreravens.com/mediaIt...6&media-type=A

Hopefully that works.

If not, it is on their main baltimoreravens.com website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I think Monroe compares favorably to a player like Will Beatty (after 2012 season) for the Giants. Both young players, around the same size, same upside/value, and played at similar levels. Beatty fractured his tibia this season, lets hope we wouldn't have the same luck with Monroe. Beatty signed a 5 year $37.5M deal, with $19M in guaranteed money.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    They could go the cheap, older route and go for a Jon Goodwin or something, but that buys them what...one, maybe two years? Who knows if those old vets will stand up? Look at how quickly Jeff Saturday deteriorated.

Dan Koppen may make some sense, but he is coming off an injury IIRC and he is old too.

Signing Mack means paying a bit more, but you're getting one of the top 3 or 4 centers in the league, in their prime, with minimal injury history for several years.

I was unsure before and I know the Ravens RARELY make splash moves, but who saw them trading for Monroe midway through the season? I sure didn't. Most of us didn't.

Alex Mack makes the running game better, protects Flacco, and gives him a pocket to step up into.

If the Ravens spend big money on any free agent, it's Alex Mack. (Though the press conference today made me think they might spend on a WR ...)

Or maybe like you say, they try and "Birk it" again with an old plug-in vet, not wanting to allocate money to that position.

Blog Entries

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I believe GG will be the Ravens starting Center in 2014. I think he improved some towards season's end, and will be put through a rigorous off-season strength & conditioning program. A. Q. Shipley was a mistake, so I can see another veteran Center being obtained, but not one like Mack who would co$t a lot... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    If the Ravens spend big money on any free agent, it's Alex Mack. (Though the press conference today made me think they might spend on a WR ...)

Or maybe like you say, they try and "Birk it" again with an old plug-in vet, not wanting to allocate money to that position.
    Well, they said that they will have that guy on their roster by the end of 2014, right?

To me, that means they will be drafting a couple of receivers that fit their mold and develop them. At pick 16/17 it is likely that one of the top 3 receivers will be available to them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I think Monroe compares favorably to a player like Will Beatty (after 2012 season) for the Giants. Both young players, around the same size, same upside/value, and played at similar levels. Beatty fractured his tibia this season, lets hope we wouldn't have the same luck with Monroe. Beatty signed a 5 year $37.5M deal, with $19M in guaranteed money.
    To me, that seems pretty affordable when you are talking about protecting a guy you just invested the future of the franchise in.

That deal averages about 7.5 per year. Bump that up to around 8 for 5 years and make it an even $40 mill with 20 guaranteed.

Mack and Byrd will be the most coveted free agents.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    To me, that seems pretty affordable when you are talking about protecting a guy you just invested the future of the franchise in.

That deal averages about 7.5 per year. Bump that up to around 8 for 5 years and make it an even $40 mill with 20 guaranteed.

Absolutely, and they will likely back load the deal as they do with most of their big contracts.

In the press conference today Ozzie mentioned that we need to get bigger in the interior of the O line. IMO pointing the finger right at Gino. We would all like to see him sign Mack but I don't think it will happen. There are questions around KO and whether he can play at the same level he did prior to the back injury. There is the WR position that needs to be addressed, and IMO they need to build the depth chart at all of the O line positions. So there is too much to do to spend top 5 money on a center.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

In support of Wickeds argument however, the Ravens were not afraid to sign Dumervil last offseason, they were also not afraid to cut Boldin to help with that deal. If you're considering cutting a player like Suggs, you better replace him with a pretty good player. Signing Alex Mack, and getting KO back healthy, and resigning Monroe imo would make this a top 5 unit, is it worth the investment?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    In the press conference today Ozzie mentioned that we need to get bigger in the interior of the O line. IMO pointing the finger right at Gino. We would all like to see him sign Mack but I don't think it will happen. There are questions around KO and whether he can play at the same level he did prior to the back injury. There is the WR position that needs to be addressed, and IMO they need to build the depth chart at all of the O line positions. So there is too much to do to spend top 5 money on a center.
    When you consider what Flacco did with Marlon, Torrey, and Jacoby with very little time and zero running game, can you really afford to NOT spend on the OL?

Monroe, KO, Mack, Yanda, Wagner

That's significantly better than last year even if Wagner sucks.

They still have Jah, Jensen, and Gino and they could easily draft another mid to late round swing tackle for depth. However, KO can also play RT in a pinch and Gino, Jah or Jensen can play guard.

I actually think the depth isn't as bad as some would make it out to be. The problem is those depth players are good spot/depth players, but not someone you'd want as a starter for the whole season.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    In support of Wickeds argument however, the Ravens were not afraid to sign Dumervil last offseason, they were also not afraid to cut Boldin to help with that deal. If you're considering cutting a player like Suggs, you better replace him with a pretty good player. Signing Alex Mack, and getting KO back healthy, and resigning Monroe imo would make this a top 5 unit, is it worth the investment?
    Considering how poorly the OL played and how it impacted both phases of the offense in a MAJOR way...yea, is say it is worth it.

Additionally, if Wagner even remotely plays at an average level, he is so cheap that the Ravens would have LG and RT playing at inexpensive rates.