Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    iggyman555 Guest

Re: Why didn't any report ask about Jim Caldwell?

btw why are we not interviewing possible OCs? not even 1...

Blog Entries

When Harbaugh said that everyone is in a state of flux, did he mean the defensive staff as well? They haven't exactly been very supportive of Pees through the media lately I've noticed, and Ozzie seemed a little pissed about the way the defense performed despite its ranking.

Answer A- We'd love to have him back, and we are monitoring his progress as he interviews for HC roles and wish him the best, but we hope we can bring him back for next season. - Committing to him.
    To which my follow-up question would be: WHY??? The offense was in the bottom 3rd of the league in virtually every category across the board. Why would you "love to have him back"?

I wish more reporters would ask hard-hitting questions, instead of the usual fluff/softball questions.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Not exactly.

The Ravens had Jack Del Rio lined up to be the DC if Lewis left, but Marvin said he was staying...so they let Del Rio go to Carolina to be John Fox's DC...and then Marvin turned around and fell in love with Snyder's money. Lewis really screwed the organization when he left, imo. Fortunately, to Bilick's credit, he had another coordinator-caliber coach on staff in Nolan to step up.
    Gotcha. At the time the Ravens tried to make it like it was a mutual decision. What you say makes more sense and explains a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    When Harbaugh said that everyone is in a state of flux, did he mean the defensive staff as well? They haven't exactly been very supportive of Pees through the media lately I've noticed, and Ozzie seemed a little pissed about the way the defense performed despite its ranking.
    I thought Ozzies comment about attitude was interesting. He talked about the defensive players being to tentative and how guys are afraid to try to be the guy to make a play. Basically saying the D wasn't aggressive enough. That was a direct shot at the bend but don't break philosophy that we talk about with Pees.

Blog Entries

The media dropped the ball on this one. They should have asked the question. It doesn't matter if it would have been spun or even not answered. This is their chance to ask the tough questions and they blew it.
    He Who Dares.....Wins

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    He was referring specifically to the offense at that point. There were a few comments about the D not being able to get off of the field in late in games but no mention of coaches.
    "Screw it, let's ride"!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Not exactly.

The Ravens had Jack Del Rio lined up to be the DC if Lewis left, but Marvin said he was staying...so they let Del Rio go to Carolina to be John Fox's DC...and then Marvin turned around and fell in love with Snyder's money. Lewis really screwed the organization when he left, imo. Fortunately, to Bilick's credit, he had another coordinator-caliber coach on staff in Nolan to step up.
    I remember that! Marvin Lewis was back and forth on that one. Once Snyder sent the helicopter to pick him up that was it. He told Art Modell he was staying and then turned around and left. I also Remember Modell bitching about it to the Sun.

Blog Entries

I wish someone would have asked if they are looking at OC candidates. They have to be, since he could be hired by someone else, or they already know he won't be back regardless. Surprised no media leaks have linked the ravens to any OC names.

Whoa! I think we're looking at this all wrong. The real question that should have been posed is who exactly is running this Ravens offense? Last season with the elevation of Jim Caldwell to OC, we saw a freed Joe Flacco running an uptempo offense that aggressively attacked the middle of the field to great success. This season, we all witnessed a muted offense with a cuffed Joe Flacco rarely attacking the middle. Surely there must be something or someone clogging a system that worked so well when Caldwell was given the free hand to run the offense. Until that problem something or someone is identified, it won't matter who the OC is, the root problems with this offense will persist.

Blog Entries

Looks like Moeller is headed to LSU to join Cam

http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-ra...-heading-south
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    They're not exactly rushing to re-sign him.

Though I'm not ruling out the possibility he will be back either.

Very odd times for this team right now.
    I don't know how the Raven's do it, or the NFL for that matter, but the in my corporate experience, changes start at the top so new managers are given the opportunity to build their own staff. I saw the Montgomery termination, however it evolved as that's it, otherwise the changes would have started at the highest level impacted. My money based on that is Caldwell and Pees stay. Seems too the sooner they start planning for 2014 the better and they need all of the lead time they can get.

One thing I think we are all losing sight of is that Caldwell didn't really want the OC job last year. He was asked to do it, so he did, reluctantly. Someone on here mentioned "The Peter Principle" the other day, which I think applies to Caldwell's time as OC. He was honest about it up front, so I respect him for that.

I would love to see him back as QB coach if he does not get a HC job. And I think there is some chance that might happen. But as some have mentioned, they should be actively looking for a replacement if they were thinking about this at all.
    "Screw it, let's ride"!

Quote Originally Posted by DonNMass View Post
    I don't know how the Raven's do it, or the NFL for that matter, but the in my corporate experience, changes start at the top so new managers are given the opportunity to build their own staff. I saw the Montgomery termination, however it evolved as that's it, otherwise the changes would have started at the highest level impacted. My money based on that is Caldwell and Pees stay. Seems too the sooner they start planning for 2014 the better and they need all of the lead time they can get.
    There were other reasons Montgomery was let go, IMO. I think that's the exception, not the rule.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Looks like Moeller is headed to LSU to join Cam

http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-ra...-heading-south
    It makes sense. LSU is trying to become a more pass oriented team than in years past. Cam took the first steps towards that last year and it worked until the QB tore his knee up.
    He Who Dares.....Wins

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Caldwell isn't under contract.

So, really isn't much to ask IMO.

Harbs kind of laid it out there anyway saying that other than Castillo as the OL coach next year, every other coaching spot on offense was up in the air.

I took that as a clear sign that they're going to see what their options are elsewhere.
    This is the point -- there is no point in asking the question until they have the OC position settled. There are reports that whether the Ravens want him back or not, and it's not clear if they do, Caldwall probably doesn't want to come back to the OC job in Baltimore, even if he fails to land a head coaching job.

So until you've hired your coordinator, it's pointless to talk about what schemes they'll run.

BTW, it's a mistake to think Castillo barely tweaked the scheme. There are definite reports that he change a lot when he came in.