Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The WR Thread.

Blog Entries

Re: The WR Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Thank you for the information on Sammy Watkins. Now, what about Mike Evans. How does he shape up? If we go AC or WC?
    Good fit for both systems. He isn't that fast really, and can't give you straight line speed that a Mike Wallace or a Torrey Smith can give you, but he's big and can make contested catches, and get jump balls. He's a good YAC player too which the Ravens seem to lack right now. I think you could put Evans in pretty much any scheme and do well. Sammy Watkins is a better fit for our "current" offense however.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post

Good fit for both systems. He isn't that fast really, and can't give you straight line speed that a Mike Wallace or a Torrey Smith can give you, but he's big and can make contested catches, and get jump balls. He's a good YAC player too which the Ravens seem to lack right now. I think you could put Evans in pretty much any scheme and do well. Sammy Watkins is a better fit for our "current" offense however.
    That's what we need on this offense, a receiver who:

(a) Is a precise, explosive route runner who can consistently gain separation.

Or

(b) Can either through size advantage and/or sheer physicality make contested catches a la Boldin in the 2012-2013 playoffs.

Right now, we have neither. Torrey is a deep threat with slightly expanded/diverse route tree. He's not a consistent enough of a route runner to gain separation when he's not running past the DB. He's also not consistently physical enough in those jumpball situations. He was doing it some in 2012, but I didn't see that as much last year, which is probably due to all the attention opposing DCs paid to him.

In terms of the draft, I'd be happy with Mike Evans, Marqise Lee or Jordan Matthews. I think all of them would compliment Torrey in that they'd offer something different in size/physicality or route running proficiency. Sammy Watkins, no way he falls to 16/17 and no way in hell is Ozzie mortgaging our future to jump in the top five to get him. He's no Thomas Dimitrioff.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    The Falcons traded multiple picks in order to get Ryan that one impact player that would elevate them into the Super Bowl. That was 5 picks to the Browns (including two #1's) for the right to draft Julio Jones. They did make the NFCCG in 2012 (lost to 49ers), but dropped to 4 - 12 in 2013. Ozzie isn't the type on man to put all his eggs in one basket. I do not think he will trade up... Bc
    Maybe not eggs in one basket but I'm talking above pick 15 and below pick 10. You don't see that as feasible? I honestly think in the right conditions, that can certainly happen.

Blog Entries

I see anonymous smearing is already starting. People questioning Watkins height in terms of being a WR1.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    I see anonymous smearing is already starting. People questioning Watkins height in terms of being a WR1.
    It's a legitimate question. Of the top 14 receiving leaders (those who had 1,200 yards) 11 of those were at least 6'2" with the only one not at least 6'3" being Dez Bryant.

The three were Antonio Brown, Desean Jackson, and Pierre Garçon. This is a good discussion because Watkins hasn't had many opportunities to showcase his ability to make contested catches which is where the taller wideouts have an advantage. Can he be like those three. Possibly. Is his potential limited from only being 6'1"? I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by landshark52 View Post
    It's a legitimate question. Of the top 14 receiving leaders (those who had 1,200 yards) 11 of those were at least 6'2" with the only one not at least 6'3" being Dez Bryant.

The three were Antonio Brown, Desean Jackson, and Pierre Garçon. This is a good discussion because Watkins hasn't had many opportunities to showcase his ability to make contested catches which is where the taller wideouts have an advantage. Can he be like those three. Possibly. Is his potential limited from only being 6'1"? I don't know.
    Plenty of dominant receivers have been sub-6'2".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mizerooskie View Post
    I think he was merely pointing out the recent trend, which is pretty lopsided.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    Maybe not eggs in one basket but I'm talking above pick 15 and below pick 10. You don't see that as feasible? I honestly think in the right conditions, that can certainly happen.
    I'm not saying it isn't possible to trade up a few spots to get the guy Ozzie has his sights set on. Just keep in mind we've traded our 4th and 5th round picks, and those are quite useful when trading up. I don't see Ozzie throwing a 2nd or 3rd into a trade when the Ravens have so many holes to fill... Bc

I'm talking about in today's NFL. This is an era when receivers have to face bigger and faster cornerbacks than ever before. The trend is for teams to get guys like Sherman and Jimmy Smith who have both the speed and size to match up with wide receivers. These corners are thus giving tighter coverage.

It's why in today's NFL I think if you want a dominant receiver you need a guy who is preferably 6'3" and well built. It's no coincidence that this year the most dominating receivers average around 6'3" 220.

Quote Originally Posted by landshark52 View Post
    I'm talking about in today's NFL. This is an era when receivers have to face bigger and faster cornerbacks than ever before. The trend is for teams to get guys like Sherman and Jimmy Smith who have both the speed and size to match up with wide receivers. These corners are thus giving tighter coverage.

It's why in today's NFL I think if you want a dominant receiver you need a guy who is preferably 6'3" and well built. It's no coincidence that this year the most dominating receivers average around 6'3" 220.
    Steve Smith, Reggie Wayne, Roddy White, Wes Welker. They'd all qualify as #1s in today's NFL.

The size thing isn't an issue.

Blog Entries

Steve Smith, Reggie Wayne, Roddy White, Wes Welker. They'd all qualify as #1s in today's NFL.

The size thing isn't an issue.
    they are all over 30, and not part of the current trend.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    they are all over 30, and not part of the current trend.
    Exactly the young number 1's are, by a wide margin, the big guys. Plus those guys aren't putting up big time top wideout numbers anymore