Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Webb ...restructure deal?

Yes, Mike Preston suggested that this was a possibility in an article on Wednesday:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,7614435.story

The basics are:

Brian McFarland ‏@RavensSalaryCap 2 Jan
    Restructuring LWebb's contract -> a simple restructure would create over $5M in '14 Cap space, but would add $1.7M onto his 15,16&17 Cap #'s
    Over the last couple of years, the Ravens have done a couple of these (Yanda was the last of these in 2012, Jarret Johnson did so in 2009 IIRC).

Webb makes sense because he is still young and has 4 years left on his deal. Doing one of these at a time, with a couple of years spread between them, isn't going to put the team in Cap jail or make them anything like the Steelers or Cowboys. Those teams did wholesale restructures with multiple players on the roster and then did it all over again the next year. That's what gets you in Cap hell.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Thing about "Cap Hell" is that if your team won because of it, then it was worth it. Teams like the Redskins, who overpay but don't win, have not used their CH wisely. The Ravens OTOH were one catch away from the Super Bowl (2011) and follow that season up with a Championship (2012). IMO the ravens have used their CH sensibly... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    Won't this put us in "Cap Hell" a la the Steelers, Saints, Cowboys, etc? Or are we already there with Rice, Suggs and Ngata's bloated contracts?
    You do realize that those 3 teams are at least 20 million OVER the cap. The Ravens are not in cap hell. They just dont have a ton of space. They have worked with less.

I would prefer not to restructure his contract. Right now it seems like Jimmy could be our #1 CB of the future and that Webb could get released after like 2 more seasons. Not saying this will happen, but it's not unlikely, and that's a situation we can prepare for by not restructuring him.

If Suggs is released, I don't think we have huge salary cap issues in 2014, at least that's my impression.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    because we were 8-8 with the 29th ranked offense... fix that even moderately and were right back to 10+ win seasons. Such doom and gloom after JUST missing the playoffs.
    And consider the schedule we had this year and the one for next year. Moderate improvement will put us in the playoffs. Providing of course we improve our OL and get a good WR.

I think the concept of Webb restructuring is a fallback if they can't get an extension with Suggs or decide to let him play under the final year of his deal.

The $5M from Webb would go a long way toward replacing the $7.8M savings from releasing Suggs or whatever amount they would save with an extension.

The "leaking" of this info (Preston, for all of his faults, has been know to carry the water for the organization in the past) could also be an attempt to create leverage with Suggs, ie, we'd like to reach an extension, but we have other options if you won't play ball.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

I love Webbie, but no way would I restructure his deal.

His "reckless" play by throwing his body around and his injury history scare me long term.

He plays like a guy who whose body will betray him earlier than anticipated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

I don't mind this deal as Webb has plenty more years left. It was clear he didn't fully trust his knee this year and I'm hoping with another offseason of rest and recovery, he'll be back to early 2012 form.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    Won't this put us in "Cap Hell" a la the Steelers, Saints, Cowboys, etc? Or are we already there with Rice, Suggs and Ngata's bloated contracts?
    It does push the cost down the road. Eventually you end up with a Ngata situation which is a crazy cap number that you are just stuck with. Once you give huge money to a player there is no easy way to get out of it. You can just move it around.

Sure, why not. His restructure will not add materially to future years' cap issues. He's a guy who played decent during his first year back from an ACL. He's be stronger next year, and he's still young.

Suggs on the other hand, I would need to be convinced that he's going to produce. He looked like a liability during the second half of the season.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

We're no where near cap hell. Cap hell is having to cut or restructure players to get under the cap when you only have a little over 40 players signed like the Cowboys, Steelers, and Saints.

Don't touch Webb's contract, it's one of the few big contract that doesn't get more bloated as it goes on and we can get out of for actual savings if it doesn't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I love Webbie, but no way would I restructure his deal.

His "reckless" play by throwing his body around and his injury history scare me long term.

He plays like a guy who whose body will betray him earlier than anticipated.
    Quote Originally Posted by kronusthebonus
    I don't mind this deal as Webb has plenty more years left. It was clear he didn't fully trust his knee this year and I'm hoping with another offseason of rest and recovery, he'll be back to early 2012 form.
    Webb made more mental mistakes this year (a boom year for that across the roster), but he didn't seem particularly gimpy beyond muscle pulls, etc. Once they moved Graham outside and brought Webb in on the slot, I was overall pleased w/ the CB play. It would be nice to keep all 3 CBs.