Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: If we lose Dennis Pitta it is going to hurt, and it looks like that could be coming

Just to compare, here are Scott Chandler's numbers the past two years - 53/655/2, 43/571/6

And here are Pitta's last two healthy years - 61/669/7, 40/405/3

They are the same age. One has played with Flacco, the other the likes of Ryan Fitzpatrick, EJ Manuel, and Thad Lewis. Yet Pitta could get 1.5-2M more a year than Chandler? Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't see the value.

FA hasn't even started, guys. It's not like this is August and Pitta is hurt and we have to turn to bums. There are guys out there we can get at a price more favorable to the team and get a similar level of production.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

Re: If we lose Dennis Pitta it is going to hurt, and it looks like that could be coming

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Just to compare, here are Scott Chandler's numbers the past two years - 53/655/2, 43/571/6

They are the same age. One has played with Flacco, the other the likes of Ryan Fitzpatrick, EJ Manuel, and Thad Lewis. Yet Pitta could get 1.5-2M more a year than Chandler? Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't see the value.
    Agreed.

Where are people getting the idea that Pitta is going to get $1.5-2M more per year than Chandler (I may have missed it)?

Chandler's last deal was signed before the 2012 season. He is a FA right now. His 2012 contract was a 2-yr deal at $2.75M per year ($5.45M total).

His stats up to that point (before 2012) were 1 reception for 8 yards in all of 2010, and 38 rec for 389 yds and 6 TDs in 2011.

The idea that the Ravens are going to pay Pitta a premium for his special chemistry/"friendship factor" with Flacco is wrong. It doesn't jive with the basic concept of negotiating on an open market.

If the "friendship factor" is unique to the Ravens and Joe Flacco, that means it won't be a factor to other teams. If it's not a factor in negotiating with other teams, it won't be a factor in negotiating with the Ravens.

Bottom line, there won't be a "friendship factor" premium for Pitta. He's going to get paid like any other player with his combination of age, production, and injury history--i.e., not much...

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    The idea that the Ravens are going to pay Pitta a premium for his special chemistry/"friendship factor" with Flacco is wrong. It doesn't jive with the basic concept of negotiating on an open market.

If the "friendship factor" is unique to the Ravens and Joe Flacco, that means it won't be a factor to other teams. If it's not a factor in negotiating with other teams, it won't be a factor in negotiating with the Ravens.

Bottom line, there won't be a "friendship factor" premium for Pitta. He's going to get paid like any other player with his combination of age, production, and injury history--i.e., not much...
    I agree that the Ravens will not pay a premium due to his friendship. If anything it would make him not leave for offers slightly higher because he is comfortable with the Ravens.

I don't agree with you as far as the not getting paid much due to age and injury history. He does not have an injury history. He had a freak injury this past off season and actually came back from it. It was not ligament damage so there should be no long term issues. The Ravens signed Webb to a long term big dollar contract 1 year after he had ACL surgery. Pitta's age probably limits him to a 3-4 year contract.

Scott Chandler and Pitta will probably get comparable contracts. Heath Miller got nearly 6m a year after he put up similar stats to Pitta.

Blog Entries

I should have said something more along the lines of "if you ask many here Pitta is getting 1.5-2M more than Chandler". I have no idea what Chandler will get. My main point was more that there are other options out there besides Pitta in FA that they can pursue pending Pitta's contract demands and other teams interest in him, guys who may in fact be better than him but not have the same level of name value or fanfare. This panic that if Pitta leaves they are going to be left with nothing at the position again is foolish and unwarranted IMO.

I'd be okay with something like Fred Davis, a drafted guy, and Furstenburg. I just don't value Pitta as highly as some. Love the guy, but not at these prices.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    maybe if the friendship didn't then transfer to the field, but it clearly does. the bond on and off the field is clear.

Flacco and Pitta clearly have a connection on the field. A connection that has value and has to factor into the negotiations.
    So you overpay for a TE because the QB always look for him more than other options? IMO, from watching the games, Pitta gets the majority of his yards not because he is a mismatch, but because he is a "clear-out" guy that gets a lot of his yards split-out or in the slot. The other guys clear out space for Pitta to sit in gaps of the zone. Pitta doesn't scare anyone. He can't block and his not going to blown by anyone. I think his yards can easily be replaced with a real OC.

I'm not saying that the Ravens bend over and let Pitta have his way with them.

They should pay him fairly.

Blog Entries

FA hasn't even started, guys. It's not like this is August and Pitta is hurt and we have to turn to bums. There are guys out there we can get at a price more favorable to the team and get a similar level of production.
    Good post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I don't know that much about Chandler, but stats don't always tell the whole story. Pitta is like Joe's security blanket, and is looked for when we need that 3rd down pass to move the chains. He, along with Boldin, were Flacco's go-to guys. Ed Dickson was drafted one round before Pitta, but can the Ravens count on his hands when they need an important 1st down? I'm not advocating over-paying Pitta, but comparing numbers do not give a complete picture of our specific situation... Bc

Blog Entries

While Pitta's stats aren't elite, his relationship with Joe should certainly motivate the front office to do what they can to keep him.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    While Pitta's stats aren't elite, his relationship with Joe should certainly motivate the front office to do what they can to keep him.

I'm sure Pitta is the first choice. They'll make him what they feel is a fair offer. Pitta will then take it to the market. It all depends on if he can get a better deal or like Leach last year take what Ozzie offers him.