Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: If we lose Dennis Pitta it is going to hurt, and it looks like that could be coming

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Has Pitta been a top 10 TE in any statistical category?
    Ill answer my own question... best season he ranked 9th in yards/rec and its his best season by good measure.

Add in the uncertainty with injury, his age, and that there isnt a great history of production at a high level (top 10) and I dont think hell be as heavily sought after as some think. I think his lack of blocking somewhat goes into this as well. Hes not a top notch receiving TE (considering theres been 9 better than him every year) and he has little to no value as a blocker (kind of sad that Dickson is our better blocker). I think if we offer in the 4.5 range hell jump on it.
    Last edited by JAB1985; 01-03-2014 at 10:53 AM.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Re: If we lose Dennis Pitta it is going to hurt, and it looks like that could be coming

Quote Originally Posted by drocksthaparty View Post
    The Ravens do not have much cap space, but let's be honest I feel if we lose Dennis Pitta it is going to hurt. Pitta is a weapon on this offense, and with Jimmy Graham as the top tier tight end probably getting franchised, will the Ravens have enough money to pay him?

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articl...offs/15447107?

This has Pitta as one of the most underrated free agents
    That article is tough to read...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

It's interesting that the Ravens' offers to their own free agent defensive players tend to be a solid barometer of the guy's true value. Usually that value is higher to the Ravens than to wherever the guy is going to, owing to the unique construction of the Ravens' defense. Ultimately anyone that outbids us on one of our own defensive players gets hosed, because our offer is already greater than the guy's (true, on-field) value to the rest of the league. Not by much, but a little. Which is why we always laugh when some team throws $20MM more at a guy than we would have.

OTOH, the Ravens seem to go a little nuts with offensive players (Flacco, Rice) because it seems like they latch on to a useful offensive player so rarely they are terrified of having them walk out the door, knowing it'll be 10 years before they find a replacement. I shudder to think what they'll offer Torrey....

With Flacco I realize there was a bit of a gun to their heads -- there were teams out there who'd been pitifully underspending and had assloads of cap room to dump on Joe, plus it would have been a PR nightmare. Still wonder though if other teams really would have stumped out the cash the Ravens did. We will never know....

All of which is to say, don't be shocked if we overpay Pitta.

At this point, I don't think we can overpay anybody now.
    We will have to be prudent with every contract from here out.
    That is what happens when you win a Lombardi.
    Everyone wants to get paid.
    We lose some, we retain some.
    We have to decide what the core of this team really is.
    And I would say it is Joe and then those that surround him.
    If we can't pay Pitta enough and lose him, then we better draft someone that is special at TE.
    We must give Joe the weapons or Joe's contract is a waste.
    We need a true talent at center to run the line AND Joe needs weapons...thru the draft.

This thread is ridiculous. Dennis Pitta is one of my favorite Ravens, but he isn't even an every-down TE and he's certainly not a top 10 TE in the league. He's not going to see 5m/year IMO.

Jimmy Graham is about to break the bank, but today the NFL's highest paid TE is Jason Witten (who will be in the HOF one day) at just over 7m/year. It's just not a premium position unless you're an otherwordly talent like Graham.

Brandon Myers, a very similar player to Pitta in terms of play-style and skill set, had no injury concerns entering FA last year, was a year younger than Pitta is now, and was coming off a great statistical year. He got 3.5m a year from the Giants. Greg Olsen is another comparable--better player than Pitta, over 2 years younger, and got 4.5m/year a couple years ago.

Pitta will get around 4m/year, I think. Call it 3 years, $12m.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    This thread is ridiculous. Dennis Pitta is one of my favorite Ravens, but he isn't even an every-down TE and he's certainly not a top 10 TE in the league. He's not going to see 5m/year IMO.

Jimmy Graham is about to break the bank, but today the NFL's highest paid TE is Jason Witten (who will be in the HOF one day) at just over 7m/year. It's just not a premium position unless you're an otherwordly talent like Graham.

Brandon Myers, a very similar player to Pitta in terms of play-style and skill set, had no injury concerns entering FA last year, was a year younger than Pitta is now, and was coming off a great statistical year. He got 3.5m a year from the Giants. Greg Olsen is another comparable--better player than Pitta, over 2 years younger, and got 4.5m/year a couple years ago.

gronk is highest paid I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post

Agreed all around. If someone wants to pay him $6m per year, let them
    A good "cheap" fallback option, IMO would be Brandon Pettigrew, who should get 3 years for $8m total, or so. I actually wouldn't mind him whether we sign Pitta or not.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    It's interesting that the Ravens' offers to their own free agent defensive players tend to be a solid barometer of the guy's true value. Usually that value is higher to the Ravens than to wherever the guy is going to, owing to the unique construction of the Ravens' defense. Ultimately anyone that outbids us on one of our own defensive players gets hosed, because our offer is already greater than the guy's (true, on-field) value to the rest of the league. Not by much, but a little. Which is why we always laugh when some team throws $20MM more at a guy than we would have.

OTOH, the Ravens seem to go a little nuts with offensive players (Flacco, Rice) because it seems like they latch on to a useful offensive player so rarely they are terrified of having them walk out the door, knowing it'll be 10 years before they find a replacement. I shudder to think what they'll offer Torrey....

With Flacco I realize there was a bit of a gun to their heads -- there were teams out there who'd been pitifully underspending and had assloads of cap room to dump on Joe, plus it would have been a PR nightmare. Still wonder though if other teams really would have stumped out the cash the Ravens did. We will never know....

All of which is to say, don't be shocked if we overpay Pitta.
    I agree to a point. They had to lock up Rice and flacco. Both were special talents that they figured would be the drivers to take then to the holy land. ...And they were 100% correct. They paid Rice because they needed to keep him and keep him happy. They paid Flacco because he delivered...big-time. Also, how often do franchises get to land a franchise QB (Flacco is at the minimum, a franchise QB whether you think there are better options out there now or in the future)? So, I get it.

Yes, several teams would have rolled out the Brinks truck in a heartbeat. Just look at the number of teams that drafted a QB last year and will draft one this year. A good QB is VITAL to success in the NFL now.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    gronk is highest paid I believe.
    Spotrac has his annual average at only 6.9 which is lower than Witten's by a few hairs. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-engla...ob-gronkowski/

Either way, the position is VERY low paid.

From Over The Cap, the highest paid TE's: average pay per year:

1. Gronk 9M
    2. Witten 7.4M
    3. Vernon Davis 7.35
    4. Antonio Gates 7.235
    5. Jared Cook 7.02
    6. Gonzalez 7
    6. Finley 7
    8. Mercedes Lewes 6.8
    8. Zach Miller 6.8
    10. Heath Miller 6.75
    11. Greg Olsen 5.7
    12. Owen Daniels 5.422
    13. Martellius bennett 5.1
    14. Celek 4.875
    15. Keller 4.25
    16. Fasano 4
    17. Carlson 3.8875
    18. Craig Stevens 3.6
    19. Pettigrew 3.2
    20. Dreesen 2.833
    21. Gresham 2.819

Okay now we are getting into rookie contracts and players who aren't as good as Pitta. Regardless though now we see the potential pay day for him.

I see no reason why Pitta won't be asking for at least 6M. He won't get laughed out of the building if he does. I can easily see him getting 5M, minimum.
    Last edited by ursula; 01-03-2014 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Agreed all around. If someone wants to pay him $6m per year, let them
    A good "cheap" fallback option, IMO would be Brandon Pettigrew, who should get 3 years for $8m total, or so. I actually wouldn't mind him whether we sign Pitta or not.
    Pettigrew would be taking a paycut with a 3 year 8M contract. Not gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    61 receptions was good for 9th in the NFL by a TE
    669 yards, 11th in the NFL
    7 TDs, T-6th in the NFL

Those numbers put him solidly in the same category with guys like Jermaine Gresham, Jermichael Finley, Owen Daniels, Martellus Bennett. All of those guys have contracts that average over $5Mil per (except Gresham, who's still on his rookie contract)

Don't think anyone's overvaluing him - he's close to - if not in - the top 10 of NFL TEs. And he's going to get paid like it.
    I'm not disputing that. $5M a year isn't really breaking the bank is my point. That would put him around 9 or 10 on the team for average salary. All the other guys you listed have put up number like that or better more than once too.