Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick draft question

Maybe this was discussed already, but I didn't see it. Why do the Steelers draft ahead of us at 15, when technically they finished ahead of us? I know its only a few spots, but ....

Re: Quick draft question

Finished with the same record, but they had a higher strength of schedule than us.

We got a boost from DEN, but got supremely screwed from playing HOU.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Thank you for the information, but that sucks

I am pretty sure you guys are wrong here...Pitt gets the higher draft spot because WE had a higher strength of schedule than Pitt. Draft order in event of tie records go in order of strength of schedule. So those teams with a lower SOS get placed ahead of those teams with higher SOS. In our case, our SOS was higher than Pitt, so they are placed ahead of us and we tied with Dallas, hence the coin filp.

Blog Entries

Pretty much everywhere has Pittsburgh at 15 and Baltimore/Dallas up in the air for 16 and 17.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Yards-
    I'm sure Pitt's advantage will be neutralized when the league steps up (harumph, harumph!) to penalize them and Tomlin for his little faux pas v. Baltimore...;)

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    Yards-
    I'm sure Pitt's advantage will be neutralized when the league steps up (harumph, harumph!) to penalize them and Tomlin for his little faux pas v. Baltimore...;)
    LOL I wont hold my breath

Quote Originally Posted by RavensXLVII View Post
    I am pretty sure you guys are wrong here...Pitt gets the higher draft spot because WE had a higher strength of schedule than Pitt. Draft order in event of tie records go in order of strength of schedule. So those teams with a lower SOS get placed ahead of those teams with higher SOS. In our case, our SOS was higher than Pitt, so they are placed ahead of us and we tied with Dallas, hence the coin filp.
    Correct.

Our schedules were exactly the same except for two games.

They played 7-win Titans and 4-win Raiders (total 11 wins).
    We played 13-win Denver and 2-win Texans (total 15 wins)

We had the harder schedule. And RavensXLVII's explanation is correct. A team that finishes 8-8 against the easier schedule (Steelers) is seen to be a worse team, and seen to need more help, and gets to draft ahead of the team who went 8-8 against a tougher schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Correct.

Our schedules were exactly the same except for two games.

They played 7-win Titans and 4-win Raiders (total 11 wins).
    We played 13-win Denver and 2-win Texans (total 15 wins)

We had the harder schedule. And RavensXLVII's explanation is correct. A team that finishes 8-8 against the easier schedule (Steelers) is seen to be a worse team, and seen to need more help, and gets to draft ahead of the team who went 8-8 against a tougher schedule.
    Yet they finished the division 2nd place, us third. Can't wrap my head around that. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Yet they finished the division 2nd place, us third. Can't wrap my head around that. Lol
    Heh, that is because divisional ties are settled first in terms of playoffs and divisional schedule seeding. But the draft order involves the whole league not divisions, so a league-wide system to break ties needs to be used, one that ignores divisions and even conferences entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensXLVII View Post
    Yes. You are correct, thanks.
    I was way wrong. Weaker SOS drafts higher.
    Not sure what I was thinking.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver