Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Re: Jim Caldwell to the Lions!!!?????

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Applying message board generalities is not an accurate representation of the insight used to accurately portray Caldwell and the litany of mistakes he's made this season.

OC's are held accountable when offenses stink. Why? Because they run the show. No improvements were made from the first game of the season to the last, so much so, a Patriots team was actually able to accurately predict what play was coming. Our offensive line was so abysmal, they abandoned a rather easy system to grasp, ZBS, mid season and tried to go back in time to a hybrid system. Our pro bowl running back, even before his injury, was averaging a putrid 2.3 YPC.

That's not simple message board outrage. That's the realistic summation of what has transpired this year on the offensive side of the ball.

Now yes, blame should get spread. But the buck stops with the OC.
    Right, right, but we were literally discussing the board and YOU brought up the gnashing of teeth about Caldwell on this board in an attempt to, 'Apply message board generalities to accurately represent the insight used to accurately portray Caldwell and the litany of mistakes he's made this season,' so now I'm confused.

Are all coaches held accountable? Does the Oline coach get the boot? Does the RBs coach get the boot? What about Pees? What about Teryl Austin? Sure, Jimmy made him look okay this year but we sure did give up a lot of long plays this year. My point is that it was a team collapse from the offense to the defense to the special teams. I don't give a fuck what, 'analysts' say and I don't believe you do either, since half the time in those, 'ESPN SAID SOMETHING SOMETHING ABOUT THE RAVENS,' you're the first one in there going on about how you can't believe we even still listen to those people. Sorry, the offensive line being awful isn't on Caldwell. The ZBS wasn't on Caldwell. The giving up on it and going back isn't on Caldwell. The running back(S) sucked. Blame the running back coach.

Once again, THAT'S the reality. It certainly wasn't just Caldwell and I don't think the buck stops with him, I think the buck stops with the entire goddamn team.

EDIT: Obviously, that's not how the NFL works. I'm saying in terms of goats, I'd include the entire team and personally refuse to just slap the, 'You blow, get outta here' tag on just Caldwell.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I do have to wonder WHY he didn't install his own offense...and stuck with Cam's offense...

That never made much sense to me.
    Maybe he doesn't have his own offense to install. He was never a coordinator anywhere.

it's not like anyone anywhere is drawing up new innovative plays that no on has seen before. Any formation you can think of, from wildcat to pistol to five-wide to the wing T has been done. The job of an OC is to find which plays best fits with your personnel, while simultaneously putting together a plan that keeps defenses off balance. E.g., if you figure out a good way to put a group of guys together on the field that can run the ball and pass the ball out of the same formation, that's a win for you. If you can use motion to create mismatches, that's win for you. If you have a receiver who can't get off the line but is deadly after the catch, and you use a stack formation to get him a free release, that's a win for you.

These are the things I fault Caldwell for. He has no history of doing them, and didn't show this year that he was able to scheme things to minimize our weaknesses (middle of the line, injured backs, receivers who can't gain quick separation) and maximize our strengths (big armed QB, speed at WR, backs with great hands.)
    "Chin up, chest out."

I found it interesting to see what Cadwell can do at OC, a position he never had. It was a frustrating Offense to watch all year. A lot of things played in the worst Offense we have had. I thought the passing might struggle some, but a running game that we always had disappear? I surely didn't see that coming. Even with Gino this yr.
    Maybe they hire him, but either way, as bad as a offense we had, and got our QB hurt with it, I think we will finally bring fresh minds and new faces in for a scheme that's in today's NFL.

I'm in my own boat, as to I was pumped that the Ravens retooled the D this past Off season. The Super Bowl yr D, I have never felt nasty and sick of our D the way that felt that yr. It's better and not Raven Great yet, but we will get it.
    I do think this was just going to be a Offense building offseason anyway. But not making playoffs and seeing that, wow, Joe got hurt , no run game at all, and no O line, will make Ozzie and company, focus hard on The O harder.
    Im really excited because I think it will be redone, top to bottom on that side of the ball. Good luck to Cadwell!!

But Question, Some say Ozzie was never to good Drafting Wr's, and another thread mention, Oher was best drafted lineman. Not counting KO, do you think the Ravens are good enough to draft the offense players that can hit right out of camp?
    I'm pissed off for greatness!!

Twitter Bmore Finest

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    Exactly. And that's a big selling point. It may not be to us -- but in the overall market place, its still a very big deal. Some people may say he rode Manning's coattails,others will say he has a great track record of achievements. Its all in the eye of the beholder.

And hopefully one of those beholders will hire him and get him the hell out of Baltimore so we can evolve.
    I agree with this, but I don't see any great track record.

In 11 years as a head coach in college and the pros, he's had 3 winning seasons.

And to me, his Super Bowl appearance means nothing. He took another coach's team somewhere that numerous mediocre coaches could IMHO...he's our version of Barry Switzer...without anywhere remotely close to Switzers success at a lower level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I do have to wonder WHY he didn't install his own offense...and stuck with Cam's offense...

That never made much sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It would be nice to get some detail around this. Its no secret that I am a fan of the AC offense that Cam runs and I think it's a great fit for Flacco's skills. The playcalling sometimes would drive me crazy but the offense had the capability to do it all. Maybe they thought - great offense, let's just fix the play calling. In theory I wouldn't disagree but it sure went to hell.

Also I have no idea if Caldwell really has an offense that he is versed in, guess I'd have to go back to his college days to check that out. If they keep Caldwell, then they have to make changes to the system.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

6. Re: Jim Caldwell to the Lions!!!?????

Ian Rapoport is now saying the Redskins are also interested in Jim Caldwell. Once again, we don't know if this is for the Rooney Rule or not but, the more options the better!

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/418464847831900160

Blog Entries

I remember when Art Shell used to be the guy all the teams would interview to comply with the RR. Then Dennis Green. I guess now it's Camwell.

He can fix RG3 - Hire him Snyder!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IBleedPurple2127 View Post
    Ian Rapoport is now saying the Redskins are also interested in Jim Caldwell. Once again, we don't know if this is for the Rooney Rule or not but, the more options the better!

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/418464847831900160
    I feel like that one is Rooney Rule mostly.

Don't worry. If Caldwell doesn't land a HC job, I think then he'll be dumped off.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

I don't see the reason to get excited whether Caldwell stays or goes. We could hire a reincarnated Bill Walsh and it wouldn't matter as long as we stick with the same system/playbook and Harbaugh stays with his conservative approach.

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Maybe he doesn't have his own offense to install. He was never a coordinator anywhere.

it's not like anyone anywhere is drawing up new innovative plays that no on has seen before. Any formation you can think of, from wildcat to pistol to five-wide to the wing T has been done. The job of an OC is to find which plays best fits with your personnel, while simultaneously putting together a plan that keeps defenses off balance. E.g., if you figure out a good way to put a group of guys together on the field that can run the ball and pass the ball out of the same formation, that's a win for you. If you can use motion to create mismatches, that's win for you. If you have a receiver who can't get off the line but is deadly after the catch, and you use a stack formation to get him a free release, that's a win for you.

These are the things I fault Caldwell for. He has no history of doing them, and didn't show this year that he was able to scheme things to minimize our weaknesses (middle of the line, injured backs, receivers who can't gain quick separation) and maximize our strengths (big armed QB, speed at WR, backs with great hands.)
    He did create and run his own system in college as a coordinator and head coach but obviously creating or running an offensive system in college is completely apples and oranges to creating or running one in the NFL.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cj34 View Post
    He did create and run his own system in college as a coordinator and head coach but obviously creating or running an offensive system in college is completely apples and oranges to creating or running one in the NFL.
    Found this on wiki and thought it was interesting:

College[edit]

Caldwell served as an assistant coach at the University of Iowa, Southern Illinois University, Northwestern, Colorado, Louisville, and Penn State before being named head coach at Wake Forest in 1993. He was the first African-American coach in the ACC.
    In eight years, Caldwell had a record of 26–63. He installed a powerful passing attack that set numerous school records (many of which have since been broken under his successor, Jim Grobe). However, his teams rarely ran well; in one year the Demon Deacons' leading rusher only notched 300 yards for the entire season. He only had one winning season, in 1999 when the Deacons won the Aloha Bowl.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cj34 View Post
    I don't see the reason to get excited whether Caldwell stays or goes. We could hire a reincarnated Bill Walsh and it wouldn't matter as long as we stick with the same system/playbook and Harbaugh stays with his conservative approach.
    This. X1000.