Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Full Offseason Roster and Salary Cap breakdown

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I don't think Pitta gets anything close to that on the open market. He's going to take a 1 year low salary deal like so many others to try and get his numbers up for next season.
    Here are the TEs in the $4-7M range:

Jared Cook $7,020,000
    Jermichael Finley $7,000,000
    Tony Gonzalez $7,000,000
    Marcedes Lewis $6,800,000
    Zach Miller $6,800,000
    Heath Miller $6,750,000
    Greg Olsen $5,700,000
    Owen Daniels $5,421,875
    Martellus Bennett $5,100,000
    Brent Celek $4,875,000
    Dustin Keller $4,250,000
    Anthony Fasano $4,000,000

http://overthecap.com/top-player-sal...hp?Position=TE

You can't tell me a SB winning TE with good hands doesn't belong in that group.

I fully expect Pitta to sign a Ravens friendly contract for 3-4 years. But anything that averages less than $4M/year would be a steal. The TEs under $4M/year are largely nobodies.

----I'd think Pitta gets resigned in the 3 year/$10million range. The Ravens can probably get him in the $2-2.5m range in terms of 2014 cap #.

----I'd put Monroe in the 5 year/$37.5 range. Again, I'm sure a contract can be structured so that his 2014 cap figure is about half of his $7.5 annual salary.

----I don't think that tendering Doss or McClellan makes sense, I'd expect both back in a similar fashion to Cox/Reed/Harewood last year.

----I'd love to think the Ravens would be able to keep Ihedigbo. I just don't think he pairs well with Elam, which is not a reflection on either's talent, but just their overall skills. I think you are going to run into two problems.

#1- Ihedigbo has been primarily a special teams guy for most of his career. He's never really hit his big pay day. I suspect he might get a 2 or 3 year contract from another team in the $2.5-3m/year range, which the Ravens clearly won't match. It might be hard to see a 31 year old (2014 age) veteran who has made less than $5m in his entire NFL career take backup money to stay when starter money is offered.

#2- Even if the Ravens wanted to give him a generous contract to be a backup, they likely don't have the money to do so when they have "need" positions that need addressed. Bringing back Ihedigbo as a backup/ST ace is more of a luxury than a need.

----If I was Ozzie, I'd extend Suggs. However, past precedence says he will be told to take a pay cut or released (which worked out so well with Boldin). I think the Ravens need to assess his market value heading forward and go from there. For instance, if the market for Suggs next year when he turns 32, is 3 years-$15m, then I think they essentially extend him to that level.

Here's how I would do that: Take his $7.8m and convert it to a $1m base salary and a $6.8 signing bonus. Then give him a 2 year/$7.2m extension with an additional $1m signing bonus for the extension. I'd guarantee his 2015 pay too. If I am true in assessing Suggs' market value, this would be an instance of giving him fair market value in a more team-friendly manner. It would make sense for Suggs because he gets to stay with a team that he's familiar with for a rate similar to what he would attract on the open market. He'd also get $7.8m of his new contract upfront, which certainly would not happen if he were to sign a 3 year deal elsewhere. Getting the $7.8 upfront for a player with Suggs' mileage is the big win for him. With NFL contracts, it's not the size of the contract, but rather the guaranteed money and Suggs would get $8.8m guaranteed for 2014 and an additional $2.5m guaranteed for 2015.

From the Ravens standpoint, it clears us $4.67m against that 2014 cap, which as we saw last year, can be enough to sign 2-3 decent players.

2014: Cap figure is $4.6 original dead money+ $1m base salary+ $2.3 prorated bonus= $7.9m, which sounds a lot more reasonable than $12.4

2015: $2.5 base salary+ $500k prorated extension bonus+ $2.3 prorated restructure bonus= $5.3m

2016: $3.7 base salary (non guaranteed)+ $500k prorated extension bonus +$2.3 prorated restructure bonus= $6.8m

Blog Entries

Thanks for the break down as always ravor.

Personally, I think its almost certain that there is at least some type of alteration to Sizzles cap number next year that would reduce the cap hit by at least $4M, and if not, straight up released, which would save around $7M if I'm not mistaken.

If everything Luke pointed out comes to fruition. I think we sign a vet C (Brian De La Puente), a FS (Ryan Mundy), and a RT to compete with Wagner (Eric Winston). Not saying in any way that these are the players the Ravens will look at, but just examples of players that would make sense financially.

That would leave us with the opportunity to focus on getting play makers or maybe an impact defensive player in the draft. WR, and TE are key holes, ILB, CB, and DE/DT are more minor holes if the above happens.

Blog Entries

^^^^ I think both the projected Pitta and Monroe contracts are at the low end of what they will get. Those look more like baseline values to me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Here are the TEs in the $4-7M range:

Jared Cook $7,020,000
    Jermichael Finley $7,000,000
    Tony Gonzalez $7,000,000
    Marcedes Lewis $6,800,000
    Zach Miller $6,800,000
    Heath Miller $6,750,000
    Greg Olsen $5,700,000
    Owen Daniels $5,421,875
    Martellus Bennett $5,100,000
    Brent Celek $4,875,000
    Dustin Keller $4,250,000
    Anthony Fasano $4,000,000

http://overthecap.com/top-player-sal...hp?Position=TE

You can't tell me a SB winning TE with good hands doesn't belong in that group.

I fully expect Pitta to sign a Ravens friendly contract for 3-4 years. But anything that averages less than $4M/year would be a steal. The TEs under $4M/year are largely nobodies.
    A 29 year old TE who only caught 50 catches once in his career and is coming off a major injury won't get anything close to that. If he's lucky he'll get $2.5 for 1 year. It could be a lot less. If he kills it next year then he could get that big contract but I be shocked to see it this year.

Blog Entries

A 29 year old TE who only caught 50 catches once in his career and is coming off a major injury won't get anything close to that. If he's lucky he'll get $2.5 for 1 year. It could be a lot less. If he kills it next year then he could get that big contract but I be shocked to see it this year.
    so is your goal to challenge everything I post?

Because that is what it seems like.

Go look up the TEs getting $2.5M and see if Pitta belongs in that group.

Fred Davis? Scott Chandler? Brandon Myers? Jacob tamme?

Less you say? Ben Watson gets $1.6M.
    That is who pitta is closest to?

He's 28.

The injury might be a concern if he hadn't taken the field at the end of this season and looked healthy and productive.

Prior to 2013, he had only 2 years as a starter, the last being a 61-catch season @ 11.0 Yds/rec and 7 TDs. This is what people will look at when judging what they expect to get from him, and TEs who put up those kind of numbers get paid in the $4-6Mil per range on multi-year contracts.

Greg Olsen, for example: In his 4 seasons with the Bears, he averaged just under 50 catches, 500 yards, and 5 TDs - just about exactly what Pitta averaged in 2011 and 2012. Olsen got a 5-year, $23Mil contract from the Panthers. The market for Pitta won't be much less.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    He's 28...
    I believe that GOTA meant that Pitta would be 29 (birthday on June 29th) before the 2014 season started. AND he's right... Bc

Blog Entries

Sorry Gota, but I think you have a short memory on this one imo. GMs are going to turn on the tape of that SB run, and offer Pitta big bucks, he was money in that run, and was a huge part of why we won the SB.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Sorry Gota, but I think you have a short memory on this one imo. GMs are going to turn on the tape of that SB run, and offer Pitta big bucks, he was money in that run, and was a huge part of why we won the SB.
    I beg to differ here. If Pitta was an UFA after the Ravens Super Bowl victory, then the sky's the limit (well almost) for a TE of his talent. After his injury in 2013, missing so many games, and being 29 at the start of next season, I do not think many teams will be bidding high $ numbers and/or years for his John Hancock... Bc

Blog Entries

So you guys that think pitta is going to be limited to a one year lowball contract...please throw out some numbers.

1/$500k?
    1/$1M?

I think that it dead wrong, but I am curious to see how little you think he is worth.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    So you guys that think pitta is going to be limited to a one year lowball contract...please throw out some numbers.

1/$500k?
    1/$1M?

I think that it dead wrong, but I am curious to see how little you think he is worth.
    1 year $2 to $ 2.5 million