Page 51 of 251 FirstFirst ... 4950515253 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: The 2014 Ravens Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Kubiak isn't drafting or signing the players, Ozzie is. Kubiak isn't even the HC, he's the OC. Ozzie's draft philosophy isn't going to change just because Kubiak is here now. Kubiak will have more of a say on who they sign, because he knows some of his guys like Eric Winston are good scheme fits for him, but that's about it, he isn't drafting the players. If Martin is the BPA at 16 or 17, Ozzie will take him, as he fills a position of need on the OL (if anything, I'd play him at C). I don't see the value in him at 16 or 17 personally, and think it's more likely to be a guy like Mike Evans. Kubiak did have that guy Andre Johnson you know.
    I'd all but guarantee that part of wooing Kubiak was giving him assurances that the Ravens were willing to let him build the offense however he saw fit.

I realize that Ozzie, DeCosta, and Harbs are the guys making the draft picks, but let's not act like Kubiak is some greenhorn 30 year old who has never run an NFL offense before. The Ravens wanted somebody with experience and someone who could tell them what they needed to be successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

I was high on Evans early on but now with Kubiak in the fold not so much. His O demands quick and crisp route running and Evans is still raw in that category to put it mildly. Im starting to warm to Matthews or maybe even Lee at 16-17 although some might see him as a Torrey clone.

If we don't go WR in the 1st (I wouldnt mind at all us grabbing an OL there) then we can think about Robinson and maybe even Abberderis.....he showed out BIG at the Sr Bowl and has a skill set that I think with continued development would transfer nicely to the pros. If hes still around by the 3rd day that might be a no brainer.
    They hate us..... but they want to BE us. (.... or at least poach all our players/coaches/FO people!) :respect

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I'd all but guarantee that part of wooing Kubiak was giving him assurances that the Ravens were willing to let him build the offense however he saw fit.

I realize that Ozzie, DeCosta, and Harbs are the guys making the draft picks, but let's not act like Kubiak is some greenhorn 30 year old who has never run an NFL offense before. The Ravens wanted somebody with experience and someone who could tell them what they needed to be successful.
    I agree. An experienced cat like him doesn't come here without being dealt a few extra cards.
    He's not stacking the Board for the FO, but he'll significant have input for sure...even if our offense hadn't been so horrible, he would have significant input.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Werewolf View Post
    I was high on Evans early on but now with Kubiak in the fold not so much. His O demands quick and crisp route running and Evans is still raw in that category to put it mildly. Im starting to warm to Matthews or maybe even Lee at 16-17 although some might see him as a Torrey clone.

If we don't go WR in the 1st (I wouldnt mind at all us grabbing an OL there) then we can think about Robinson and maybe even Abberderis.....he showed out BIG at the Sr Bowl and has a skill set that I think with continued development would transfer nicely to the pros. If hes still around by the 3rd day that might be a no brainer.
    WRT FA and the Draft, I expect Kubiak to focus on the OL first and foremost.
    Monroe WILL get signed. That was never in doubt IMO, but now it's a stone cold lock.
    And as we damn near directly heard at the presser, Pitta will get signed too.

WRT WRs and such, I think Joe will have an intense passing camp with the post FA WR/TE corps and then again in late May once the rookies get onboarded. I think this will be pretty much demanded by Kubiak with the backing and blessing from Harbs, and a personal note for the guy that writes the checks. I've been watching 2013 Joe and the throws that he missed are absolutely stupid and beyond frustrating; and the WRs had separation just fine. Such "camps" will also be necessary to practice the new formations, reads and any changes in "language" of the Kubiak system.

HOU under Kubiak has drafted WRs Holliday at 5'5 and Poser 6'2, so everyone from Evans on down to the 5'7ish guys like Michigan's Jeremy Gallon, Oklahoma's Saunders, and Toledo's Bernard Reedy may be in play to be drafted.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Totally agree. It would be interesting to know what the understanding is as far as his "level of control" over the offense. That was the sticking point with Cleveland - they wouldn't give him the degree of control that he wanted, or felt like he needed to have, in order to succeed.

I assume then that the difference was the Ravens would give him that control, though I don't know for a fact that they did; but if they did, I'd love to know exactly how that plays out -- to what extent is he free to dictate personnel, for example.

Someone above made the point that Oz isn't going to draft for a particular OC (presumably because they come and go) and that is a good point.

But something in the presser struck me, where they said they are going to create a "Ravens offense" or something like that. That suggested they meant they were going for a re-design, something they could implement, draft toward, etc., over the foreseeble future (5-10 years?).

So again, if I'm hearing them right, it sounds like Kubiak is here to bring a blueprint that the team is going to build its long term future off of, regardless of how long Kubiak ultimately stays. So I suspect they will try to stock the coaching staff with a stable of Kubiak disciples and set up a system where they can promote from within while maintaining the continuity of this new "Ravens offense", just as they have long done on defense.

Blog Entries

For that matter I think Ozzie and Harbs listened to Cam and Caldwell as well. I think John tells Ozzie what he wants, which comes from his Coordinators as well as his own opinions and Ozzie goes out to fill that in the way he sees fit. I dont see that changing one bit with Kubiak. Hell ask for a certain type of player, Harbs will relay that, and ozzie will make the call. chain of command.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    Totally agree. It would be interesting to know what the understanding is as far as his "level of control" over the offense. That was the sticking point with Cleveland - they wouldn't give him the degree of control that he wanted, or felt like he needed to have, in order to succeed.

I assume then that the difference was the Ravens would give him that control, though I don't know for a fact that they did; but if they did, I'd love to know exactly how that plays out -- to what extent is he free to dictate personnel, for example.

Someone above made the point that Oz isn't going to draft for a particular OC (presumably because they come and go) and that is a good point.

But something in the presser struck me, where they said they are going to create a "Ravens offense" or something like that. That suggested they meant they were going for a re-design, something they could implement, draft toward, etc., over the foreseeble future (5-10 years?).

So again, if I'm hearing them right, it sounds like Kubiak is here to bring a blueprint that the team is going to build its long term future off of, regardless of how long Kubiak ultimately stays. So I suspect they will try to stock the coaching staff with a stable of Kubiak disciples and set up a system where they can promote from within while maintaining the continuity of this new "Ravens offense", just as they have long done on defense.
    Stevie abhors failure. This guy is essentially the "Ravens offense", but moreso, he's the guy that's going to determine whether the Ravens "meet goal" or not. That is why Kubiak will have input on the Draft for as long as he's here.

Flacco contract.JPG

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Re: The Case for a Defense-heavy Draft

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    Agree (with wickedsolo) there. Martin doesn't add a weapon as such, but he enhances the value of the weapons on hand. I expect a healthy Rice and a healthy Pierce. You add Martin in with Monroe, KO and Yanda... we're likely right back up to having the main RBs back at 4.4 ypc again, with pass protection at least as good as last year (hard to know with the uncertainty at center).

He is an instance where taking a "weapon" later in the draft is worth passing on the weapons that will be available in the 1st.

I honestly still think our "skill" personnel is pretty close to what we need. When you think about it, given how historically bad the O line was, it's pretty incredible that the offense was able to keep us in just about every single game.

More depth at the skill positions? Sure, but I think we have to look at guys like Doss and Thompson getting a shot at being useful. IMO both of those guys could be decent producers under Kubiak. (Assuming Doss actually gets motivated and wants to play). If they don't tender Doss, oh well.

Either way, while I'd still like to see a WR drafted, if they took Martin, I'd feel a lot better about waiting on one.
    Well we'll have to agree to disagree :D Now that Kubiak has brought Pariani aboard, TE may become high priority, and we don't really have any (Pitta and Dickson are UFAs). See story about him below :
    http://russellstreetreport.com/balti...brian-pariani/
    While you're right about reviving our running game, you can't be serious when you post about Doss and Thompson becoming decent 'Producers' (no pun intended regarding Mel Brooks' movie).
    I'll state it again, I like Zack Martin, but not @ 16/17... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    For that matter I think Ozzie and Harbs listened to Cam and Caldwell as well. I think John tells Ozzie what he wants, which comes from his Coordinators as well as his own opinions and Ozzie goes out to fill that in the way he sees fit. I dont see that changing one bit with Kubiak. Hell ask for a certain type of player, Harbs will relay that, and ozzie will make the call. chain of command.
    Based on reports of past drafts, it seems that all the coordinators, coaches and scouts have the opportunity to provide input. I'm sure the offensive guys are pushing for offensive players and the defensive guys are pushing for defensive guys; Harbaugh is pushing for his players and Bisciotti is pushing for his. Ultimately it's Ozzie's call, but he isn't doing so in a vacuum.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Well we'll have to agree to disagree :D Now that Kubiak has brought Pariani aboard, TE may become high priority, and we don't really have any (Pitta and Dickson are UFAs). See story about him below :
    http://russellstreetreport.com/balti...brian-pariani/
    While you're right about reviving our running game, you can't be serious when you post about Doss and Thompson becoming decent 'Producers' (no pun intended regarding Mel Brooks' movie).
    I'll state it again, I like Zack Martin, but not @ 16/17... Bc
    I agree that an OL at 16/17 seems highly, highly unlikely. Kubiak was not in control of the Texans' drafts during his tenure there, nor will he be here, but he never drafted an OL in the top 60 picks other than Duane Brown. The Ravens under Ozzie Newsome also rarely draft OL other than potential LTs high, only Ben Grubbs in an extremely weak draft class, and Michael Oher who was intended to be an LT.

The Shanahan-Kubiak ZBS has always utilized mid-to-late round guys on the OL and at RB. You can get good system fits late because the linemen are perceived as too small and the RBs are perceived as too slow. You can and will get them later, and we have a very solid base to work with on the OL. I expect Eric Winston to be signed as insurance at RT, and Kubiak has worked wonders with undersized, athletic centers like Gradkowski in the past--so our two big concerns on the OL look a lot better now.

At receiver, though, we have a BIG problem. Torrey Smith is a terrible fit for the WCO unless he greatly improves his route running and body control. Marlon Brown looks like a pretty good fit but is he an every-down outside receiver? Love the potential of Dennis Pitta and Kyle Juszczyk in Kubiak's WCO, but you're still looking at a big question mark at pass-catcher.

Given all that, I feel pretty safe locking in a WR or TE at 16/17. Marqise Lee and Eric Ebron look like the top fits. Jordan Matthews would be the fallback plan, but he might be a reach at that spot.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I agree that an OL at 16/17 seems highly, highly unlikely. Kubiak was not in control of the Texans' drafts during his tenure there, nor will he be here, but he never drafted an OL in the top 60 picks other than Duane Brown. The Ravens under Ozzie Newsome also rarely draft OL other than potential LTs high, only Ben Grubbs in an extremely weak draft class, and Michael Oher who was intended to be an LT.

The Shanahan-Kubiak ZBS has always utilized mid-to-late round guys on the OL and at RB. You can get good system fits late because the linemen are perceived as too small and the RBs are perceived as too slow. You can and will get them later, and we have a very solid base to work with on the OL. I expect Eric Winston to be signed as insurance at RT, and Kubiak has worked wonders with undersized, athletic centers like Gradkowski in the past--so our two big concerns on the OL look a lot better now.

At receiver, though, we have a BIG problem. Torrey Smith is a terrible fit for the WCO unless he greatly improves his route running and body control. Marlon Brown looks like a pretty good fit but is he an every-down outside receiver? Love the potential of Dennis Pitta and Kyle Juszczyk in Kubiak's WCO, but you're still looking at a big question mark at pass-catcher.

Given all that, I feel pretty safe locking in a WR or TE at 16/17. Marqise Lee and Eric Ebron look like the top fits. Jordan Matthews would be the fallback plan, but he might be a reach at that spot.
    bmore, you seem to be leaning towards my "side" of this friendly clash of the minds.
    Let's remember that Grubbs was picked #29 (Ravens wanted Staley who went one pick before) and Oher was #23. So I cannot see Martin being selected @ #16/17.
    Yes, receiver is a big problem. Let's hope we can resign Pitta and Ozzie will spend some early draft picks on WR and TE... Bc

I'm excited for this draft. I'm more excited for this war room type here on RSR to get fired up. I appreciate and respect all the fellas here when it comes to Drafting and scouting. Much respect fellas.

As for the draft, I sure hope it 16, so we can get more value for a trade back. I'm not sure if trading back to say 23,24 will get us say a 3rd and 4th, but it would be nice to get two picks for backing up. I'm not sure the first pick will be a OL. I'm leaning heavy on a WR or TE.

My hope in FA is resign Monroe and Pitta. Sign a center with Communication skills,sign maybe Winston, sign A vet WR in Britt. If all that happened, then I can see a TE or Matthews being our first pick.

I would go WR or TE the first two picks, third rd. a OL and then a FS later, I also think we will get a vet FS after June cuts. Either way, we all have to be alittle more excited what this draft can bring and mean for a Baltimore Offense in Charm city.
    I'm pissed off for greatness!!

Twitter Bmore Finest