Page 5 of 201 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: The Case for a Defense-heavy Draft

Mike Evans and Jace Amaro make me happy lol. Both these guys are chain movers but both can make YAC. Amaro can line up on the outside and Evans has the size to to even line up at TE on occasion if you wanted to mix things up.

Torrey, Marlon Brown, Pitta (resign please), Doss (WR/ST), Juice are a interesting group if utilized correctly. Add Mike Evans/Watkins/Amaro to that mix and your starting to put together some serious talent. I am praying that teams get the Jones for QB's and one of those 3 falls.
    A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Igotstoknow View Post
    I'm not as certain as some others are that Corey Graham is gone. I think the Ravens might keep him if they can get him for less than starting corner money.
    They wont significantly overextend but I do think they would really like to have Corey back. Having Corey in the fold I would think give them options if they decide that from a cap perspective keeping both Webby and Smith is unrealistic.
    A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,
    -Ray Lewis

I'd be very happy with a Kyle Fuller pick (assuming it's 3rd or later). That guy is a baller.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mizerooskie View Post
    I'd be very happy with a Kyle Fuller pick (assuming it's 3rd or later). That guy is a baller.
    Agree. He's got plenty of coverage talent. I don't know how well he gets off blocks and helps against the run though, but he has the speed and good enough size, plays the ball well. And he's a Baltimore guy, so .. gotta love that!

Blog Entries

No surprise, JaDeveon Clowney declares.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

Wish List

1st WR Mike Evans
    2nd OT La'el Collins
    3rd OT Seantrel Henderson
    4th OLB Prince Shembo
    5TH ILB Jordan Zumwalt

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I'm aware they don't have a 4th and 5th currently.

Are the Ravens not allowed to trade future picks to move up?
    Of course you are aware that they are. But as it currently stands, and not including compensatory picks, the Ravens only have 4 picks in this draft (1, 2, 3, 6). If they want more picks, they'll have to trade around. That's why it wouldn't surprise me to see Ozzie take the 16/17 pick and move back.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    Agree. He's got plenty of coverage talent. I don't know how well he gets off blocks and helps against the run though, but he has the speed and good enough size, plays the ball well. And he's a Baltimore guy, so .. gotta love that!
    Hokie here so I've seen every one of his games except for the ones against the Little Sister of the Poor that aren't on ESPN3...

Not as much as a playmaker as Flowers (One Hokie I wanted the Ravens to draft badly) or DHall, but like all Hokies DBs... very solid coverage skills and decent hands.
    Against the run... very solid. Sheds blocks well for a CB.
    All Torrian Gray coached DBs are Pro Ready, and it shows with the amount of talent in NFL in that area. VT = DB U???
    Bonus... ST skills like most Hokies.. so Harbs would like that.
    RED FLAG... Gets hurt a lot. Always nicked up and that trait scares me a lot. (Probably b/c he early on played VT's pseudo safety position which required a lot of tackling and that trait has stuck with him to CB)

If he runs a good 40, he's a solid 3rd round pick, but I don't like the injury prone tag.

Quote Originally Posted by RavingMad View Post
    Wish List

1st WR Mike Evans
    2nd OT La'el Collins
    3rd OT Seantrel Henderson
    4th OLB Prince Shembo
    5TH ILB Jordan Zumwalt
    In this vein, my wish list (assuming compensatory picks fill in those we're currently missing):

1st: WR Sammy Watkins, Clemson
    2nd: TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3rd: OT James Hurst, UNC
    4th: ILB Yawin Smallwood, UConn
    5th: WR Cody Hoffman, BYU
    6th: FS CJ Barnett, OSU
    7th: TE Colt Lyerla, Oregon

Preferred UDFAs: WR Kenny Shaw, FSU; OT Brett Van Sloten, Iowa; P Tom Hornsey, Memphis; WR Trey Burton, Florida

That wasn't nearly as easy as I thought it would be. Tough to place where certain prospects will be valued.

Blog Entries

In this vein, my wish list (assuming compensatory picks fill in those we're currently missing):

Preferred UDFAs: WR Kenny Shaw, FSU; OT Brett Van Sloten, Iowa; P Tom Hornsey, Memphis; WR Trey Burton, Florida

That wasn't nearly as easy as I thought it would be. Tough to place where certain prospects will be valued.
    AS a OSU fan, I gotta say Cj Barnett is a solid football player and leader. But he is more of a SS than FS.

The two OSU players I think will be solid NFL players are OT Jack Mewhort and C Corey Linsley. Both of this guys have big time mean streaks and are road graders.

Mewhort was the best lineman in the big 10, but Lewan had the name (he was a lot like Clowney this yr in terms of production). Urban said Mewhort was the MVP for OSU this yr.

Linsley has been a beast past 2 yrs as center. Better run blocker than pass blocker but is very strong. He has a lot of Yanda in him. I don't know how he would fare with line calls as the OSU line has been together for 2-3yrs now. One concern i have with him would be injury concern. He struggled with ankle issues past 2yrs but played through a lot of it.

I haven't seen any projection for these 2 but I think both will have good NFL careers.

Tough to place where certain prospects will be valued.
    Hurst will be hard to evaluate because he just broke his leg in UNC's bowl game three days ago. That has to hurt his draft position.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Hurst will be hard to evaluate because he just broke his leg in UNC's bowl game three days ago. That has to hurt his draft position.
    Yea, that is super disappointing.

I had him rated as the best LT prospect in this draft. I think he would have shot up draft boards much like Eric Fisher and Lane Johnson last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Yea, that is super disappointing.

I had him rated as the best LT prospect in this draft. I think he would have shot up draft boards much like Eric Fisher and Lane Johnson last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I dont like injuries and i feel bad for him, but if that drops him from our 1st pick to our 2nd, thats a great thing for the team. Broken bones do heal afterall, but top Ts dont typically fall.
    -JAB

Really like Watkins. Most dynamic receiver in the draft. I just think he and Marquis Lee will be gone when we pick, but maybe not. Some say Lee's stock has dropped, but I'm not buying it. He's too good to fall very far.

Anyway, that's why I've been beating the drum for Evans, not withstanding his weak bowl game performance, which actually may help us to draft him. When I've seen him before he was a beast and a match up nightmare. Love his size too. Plays like Alshon Jeffery to me. I've also heard Vincent Jackson, which is probably more apt. Just not 100% sure about his separation.

I also like Kelvin Benjamin as a consolation prize. He could be a real sleeper, maybe a Megatron lite. No, I'm not saying he'll be Calvin Johnson. Just drawing a correlation between their size and styles of play. Jordan Matthews would work too, though he's smaller than the other two. I think one or the other could be had on a trade down in the 1st if Ozzie goes that route, not that I'm advocating that.
    Last edited by Igotstoknow; 01-02-2014 at 01:36 PM.

Blog Entries

At the end of the day I don't know that Kelvin Benjamin can really give you anything Marlon Brown can't. He's just a more hyped 6'5" guy. Doesn't break a lot of big plays, has good speed but nothing that can't easily be dealt with in the NFL. He's feasted on inferior college corners, but I don't see anything there that makes me think he'd do the same as a pro.