Page 241 of 251 FirstFirst ... 239240241242243 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,892 of 3005
    Blog Entries

Re: The Case for a Defense-heavy Draft

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Damn...was hoping PIT would take this guy.
    Didnt stop them from taking Adams who failed the same test.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Damn...was hoping PIT would take this guy.
    In all seriousness, I am all for sabotaging a Steeler's draft. It's a constant thought to keep them right where they are....perpetual mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    With news all over that the Eagles may move up in the draft to get a player like Beckham, well, the Ravens would be a team and #17 might be the spot that they are looking to more to (along with the Cowboys and perhaps the Steelers). Basically the Eagles will be wanting to jump ahead of the Jets. So if the eagles come calling the draft chart basically says switch first round picks and the Ravens also get the Eagles 3rd rounder, the 86th pick overall, thus giving the Ravens three picks in round 3: 74, 86, and 99.

Do you make that trade?

Of course you have no idea which players are available at 17 in this scenario, so which players, if they are available at 17, cause you to NOT do the trade?

For me, if one of the Big Four tackles slip to 17 then I take him. Otherwise if one of the top 10 slip then I probably take them-this is the Barr scenario.

Right now I don't see any of those players slipping so I do the trade...probably. The problem for me is #21 Green Bay who overlaps in need with the Ravens. So if I were Ozzie I'd want 2-3 players that I want to be there at 17, knowing that Green Bay will probably take one of them, before I traded down.
    I don't do the trade if 2 guys Ozzie wants are available at 17, even if we get Philly's 1st and 2nd, instead of a 3rd. In all likelihood they are safeties, probably Pryor and Ward. There's still a lot of risk in those 5 picks. Both Ariz and GB want safeties and could pick both between 17 and 22.

The 4 OT's and Ha Ha would be gone by 17. I'd hate to see the Ravens come out of the 1st with none of the top OT's or safeties, as the drop off is pretty big after those 7. Before Ward started climbing into the bottom 3rd of the 1st, I would have been for it.

Not even sure Philly would do it. All depends on how much more they'd value one WR over another, meaning OBJ over Lee or Cooks, because they're going to get one of them. Of course this is all hypothetical. I'm just going off of your scenario.

Id consider jumping above dallas for donald if he makes it past the likes of ny.

Some folks (Mort, Daniel Jeremiah) are reporting that the Clowns are targeting Manziel at #4. Hopefully this starts an early QB run and teams like Minnesota, Oakland, Tennessee, etc. bite hard so the Ravens get a better choice of elite players.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Id consider jumping above dallas for donald if he makes it past the likes of ny.
    I'm on the opposite end. I'd hate to trade up for...

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...smqa3nFaNBQEpc

The Ravens have more important needs to satisfy, before trading assets for an undersized DT... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    I love Donald. I was of this same thought a few weeks ago. Donald is arguably the best player in this draft after the "big 4" (Mack, Clowney, Watkins, Robinson). He'd be a wonderful value at 17.

As other contributors have pointed out to me, and I've begrudgingly agreed with, he's just a lousy fit for our scheme. He's obviously not going to the guy replacing Ngata as the 3-4 DT. I think that is Brandon Williams. He could play the 5-tech, but would be undersized there his entire career. Personally, I think he's such an athletic freak and so incredibly strong that he can hold his ground well as a 5-tech, even though he's probably (currently) 4 inches shorter and 30 lbs lighter than you ideally like from someone playing that position. The Ravens have gambled on undersized, but productive players before and have largely won those gambles (Gradkowski notwithstanding) . If you are interested in drafting the best FOOTBALL PLAYER available at 17 and finding a way to use his gifts, Donald is a great pick. He's just an impressive young man, and I'd love to see him in purple.

I would not, however, trade up for him. I can overlook a lack of scheme synergy with Donald because of his talent. I cannot justify trading up for a player unless he's a taylor-made fit for your team from day one. I think Donald will be a great pro, but he doesn't fit that category.

I think drafting a 5-tech who can get to the QB is a much higher priority than many on here think. That is one area of the roster that is clearly deficient presently. I think the likeliest scenario would be to look at Hageman or Tuitt if indeed the Ravens do trade down....or to look at someone like Kareem Martin (6-6/285 with room for more bulk) in the 2nd/3rd round.

If Lewan/Zach Martin/HHCD/Fuller/Dennard/Gilbert/Evans are all off the board at pick 17, and the Ravens can't get a suitable trade-down partner, I would be totally okay Ozzie phoning in Donald as our pick at 17. You know you are getting a good football player in Donald. He's one of the lowest-risk D-linemen we've seen in several drafts.

I would look to move more to a 43 in the coming years when the ngata goes. Brown is a better fit, d smith is, dumervil probably is because he doesn't have to worry about the run as much, donald could arguably be one of the best linemen in the league at 43 dt, suggs goes anywhere. Only position we don't have is sam.

Have you watched donald? Id understand your rebuttle if you said, like luke, that he isn't a perfect scheme fit. But to say no to donald based on measurables is a joke. Much like those teams that passed on ray lewis for the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I'm on the opposite end. I'd hate to trade up for...

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...smqa3nFaNBQEpc

The Ravens have more important needs to satisfy, before trading assets for an undersized DT... Bc

Blog Entries

Some folks (Mort, Daniel Jeremiah) are reporting that the Clowns are targeting Manziel at #4. Hopefully this starts an early QB run and teams like Minnesota, Oakland, Tennessee, etc. bite hard so the Ravens get a better choice of elite players.
    yeah all of the sudden there's a lot of chatter about it. you can believe about 50% of what you hear this week - trouble is figuring out which to believe.

I've seen them mocked to take Bridgewater at the bottom of the first also...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

That and I'dlove to see him in Cleveland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    yeah all of the sudden there's a lot of chatter about it. you can believe about 50% of what you hear this week - trouble is figuring out which to believe.

I've seen them mocked to take Bridgewater at the bottom of the first also...
    WalterFootball has had him mocked to Cleveland at #4 since the mocks first came out and haven't changed it once (in their numerous revisions). It's per Dawg Pound Nation which is reportedly just about always correct with it's inside info on the Browns. They say the Cleveland FO is in love with Manziel.