Page 2 of 251 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: The 2014 Ravens Draft Thread

Matt Miller is another guy who could be an intriguing mid-to-late rounder.

Matt Miller, Boise State, WR (6'2" 215lbs). Similar to Eric Decker/Jordy Nelson. Probably closer to Decker regarding speed though.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I follow players through scouting write ups and the occasional flip through on Saturday (I just don't like college football or the NCAA).

I think this draft is DEEP in 3 positions. WR, CB, and Offensive Lineman. I've noticed over the past couple years that Oz is investing in his DBs. Jimmy and Elam are 1st round picks, Webb just got a big contract. I don't think its a coincidence with the way the NFL is geared these days that the draft this year is deep at WR and CB.

There are some really really really good TEs in this draft. I hate Dickson with a passion. However, I could see him back here at 750k and that might happen. He's a good run blocker and a strong dude. Eifert had more upside and I would argue was better than ANY TE in this years draft and he had a mild first year in terms of production on a very dynamic Bengals offense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Webb View Post
    I follow players through scouting write ups and the occasional flip through on Saturday (I just don't like college football or the NCAA).

I think this draft is DEEP in 3 positions. WR, CB, and Offensive Lineman. I've noticed over the past couple years that Oz is investing in his DBs. Jimmy and Elam are 1st round picks, Webb just got a big contract. I don't think its a coincidence with the way the NFL is geared these days that the draft this year is deep at WR and CB.

There are some really really really good TEs in this draft. I hate Dickson with a passion. However, I could see him back here at 750k and that might happen. He's a good run blocker and a strong dude. Eifert had more upside and I would argue was better than ANY TE in this years draft and he had a mild first year in terms of production on a very dynamic Bengals offense.
    As far as value is concerned, CJ Fiedorowicz in the 3rd or 4th round is what I'm hoping for.

Can't go wrong with Wisconsin TE's either...Jacob Pederson (6'3" 244lbs) could be an intriguing mid rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    As far as value is concerned, CJ Fiedorowicz in the 3rd or 4th round is what I'm hoping for.

Can't go wrong with Wisconsin TE's either...Jacob Pederson (6'3" 244lbs) could be an intriguing mid rounder.
    What do you think about Furst? To me drafting a TE in rounds 3 or 4 is essentially promoting Furst from the PS. I WILL say that I don't know shit about Furst in terms of his performance on the PS this year.

I just think drafting a TE in round 1 as some people have mentioned is too much of a luxury. OMG CJ in round 4? I would be very happy

Blog Entries

What do you think about Furst? To me drafting a TE in rounds 3 or 4 is essentially promoting Furst from the PS. I WILL say that I don't know shit about Furst in terms of his performance on the PS this year.

I just think drafting a TE in round 1 as some people have mentioned is too much of a luxury. OMG CJ in round 4? I would be very happy
    I like Furst. However, we can't rely on a PS guy to come in and make a difference. Deonte Thompson comes to mind. Thompson prob won't even be on the team next year.

I just think if the Ravens have an opportunity to take a TE who could be a legitimate starter for them, they should do it.

If they resign Ed Dickson and Dennis Pitta, that could definitely change.

I like Furst. However, we can't rely on a PS guy to come in and make a difference. Deonte Thompson comes to mind. Thompson prob won't even be on the team next year.

I just think if the Ravens have an opportunity to take a TE who could be a legitimate starter for them, they should do it.

If they resign Ed Dickson and Dennis Pitta, that could definitely change.
    Yea I feel you. The TE position is going to be an interesting position to address.

I'm really curious what they're going to do with Deonte. I don't think they cut him simply because he's so cheap, but either use him or bring in someone else.

Blog Entries

Yea I feel you. The TE position is going to be an interesting position to address.

I'm really curious what they're going to do with Deonte. I don't think they cut him simply because he's so cheap, but either use him or bring in someone else.
    Is he on a multi-year deal?

I thought he was on a 1-yr minimal deal.

Is he on a multi-year deal?

I thought he was on a 1-yr minimal deal.
    According to Ravor we have him under contract for 570K next year and he's a RFA in 2015. Essentially we have him on the cheap for two more years.

Jace amaro could be there at 16. Unless Sammy Watkins is there I'd say he's the best receiving threat we could get

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Jace amaro could be there at 16. Unless Sammy Watkins is there I'd say he's the best receiving threat we could get
    I don't care for Amaro at all.

I think there are better players for Baltimore's offense than Amaro. Now, Ebron might be a different story...

Mike Evans is by far a better receiving prospect than Jace Amaro. Hell, Marqise Lee is a better receiving prospect.

Any way of posting a list of NFL-caliber players that are competing in the bowl games this week? I am pretty sure there are websites out there that list this info (too lazy to go find them right now). Would make watching the bowl games that much more interesting.

Re: The Case for a Defense-heavy Draft

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Everyone: great comments and I basically agree with you. The offense takes first priority even if safety and ILB concern me. I can practically taste Evans in the 1st.

What will be interesting is to see what the team thinks of Wagner, Gradkowski, Jensen, KO (back from injury?), Juice check, Arthur Brown and yes, Dennis Pitta-who I don't think is a must sign at all costs kind of guy cause there's obvious big time talent at TE this year in the draft.

- With Wagner- is he gonna get a serious look at RT? Does the team think he can develop there? If not than we need a RT by the end of day 2.
    - With Jensen and Gradkowski- does the team feel that one of them can become the long term solution? If not then it looks like there's a few centers in the mid-rounds that the Ravens can pick.
    - With KO we just need to see if he's healed. If we are worried then we need to address depth on the OL in a serious way. Might do that anyway.
    - With Pitta it is all about the contract, all the while knowing that there are 3-5 really good TE's in the draft. And then there's Juice check. Is he the wild card in the TE thinking process?

Notice that I am not bringing up our WR's in this decision process. I think it is pretty clear that while Tory and Marlon are in the long term future plans of the team, the others-Doss, Thompson, Mellette and even Jacoby if he resigns with us-aren't good for much more than special teams/returning kicks work. The biggest hole the team has is WR and the team has to look outside the organization for answers immediately. No other position is quite like that.
    I do not want to spend high picks on S or ILB this year. Didn't we just do that? I am down with Mike Evans in the 1st, or we could have just taken Keenan Allen in the 2nd this past year and then addressed other needs this time around. I could see passing on Allen in the 1st to take Arthur Brown, who I thought we needed.

But I felt that Elam was a misspent 1st rounder at the time and still feel that way. Safeties in the 1st are just not good investments unless they are named Ed Reed. Could have equaled Elam's value and production with a 4th rounder like Earl Wolff. This forced us to move up in the 2nd to get Brown. Allen was a gift to SD in the 3rd.

As a side note, A. Brown better start next year. We pursued him like a borderline 1st rounder. Cut bait with McClain already and relegate Bynes back to special teams where he belongs. Resign D. Smith. Stop slow playing everything. Sheesh!

Anyway, I'm on board with Evans now, or the next best thing at wideout. Tired of no separation and no fighting for the ball. Future #1 who reminds me of Alshon Jeffery. Transforms the WR group. Makes Torrey a top flight #2 and Marlon one of the best #3's in the league. Maybe Mellette can be a #4 and Deonte a #5/ returner if he can ever stay healthy.

Then take an OT in the 2nd. I'm iffy on TE's in the 1st or 2nd. Better be Gronk or at the least Vernon Davis. Jimmy Graham was a 3rd round pick who we passed on for Dickson. Good TE's can be found without spending a 1st round pick. Worth noting, we got our asses kicked in consecutive weeks by 2 teams who were missing their top 3 TE's, 4 if you count Hernandez.

Resign Pitta (4th rounder) and maybe draft a 2nd TE in the 3rd or 4th, where we'll probably get a comp pick. Give Furst a shot. Or make Juice a TE or H back. Right now he's a 4th round special teamer. Our personnel usage had me scratching my head all year. Past that, draft for depth in the o line, S, LB, maybe a raw pass rusher with upside, like McPhee was.

Don't want to trade down this year for depth, which equals mediocrity. Will have enough picks once the comp rounds are set. Want starters, hopefully even a playmaker or two, an area where we are lacking.

FA must signs imho; Monroe, Pitta, D. Smith. Rest can go elsewhere if money's good. I'd like Jacoby back, but only at our price. Ditto Ihedigbo. I'd rather see Elam at SS anyway. Try O. Brown at FS or sign a cheap FA. A. Jones we can't afford. Goodbye Oher and Dickson.

Sounds blasphemous, but I'd consider cutting Suggs. I sense a decline coming that we can't have at that salary. Might as well just rebuild the defense in total. Agree that we needed him this year for transition from Ray and Ed. Next year, not so much. Let's see what Simon's got, another 4th rounder with a supposedly high motor.

Use Suggs money for our own needed FA's and a couple from the open market, like a competent center. De La Puente comes to mind. We aren't getting Alex Mack. Also, maybe a FS, but it's not going to be Jarius Byrd. My 2 cents. Mixed topics I guess; draft and free agency. Oh well.
    Last edited by Igotstoknow; 12-30-2013 at 06:19 PM.