Page 5 of 251 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: The Case for a Defense-heavy Draft

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    So would several actual receivers.
    For what it's worth I wouldn't be opposed to double dipping at tight end. We have no one on the roster as yet. Cj round 4/5 with amaro round 1 or asj round 2

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    For what it's worth I wouldn't be opposed to double dipping at tight end. We have no one on the roster as yet. Cj round 4/5 with amaro round 1 or asj round 2
    Yea, I'm just not real sure about Amaro man. I know you dig him.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Yea, I'm just not real sure about Amaro man. I know you dig him.
    Really the only player I've spent Any length of time watching and that's because they are big on him on the br.com board.

A thought...

With Amaro and the slightly shorter Ebron, the "roster/scheme" argument against drafting these guys would be featuring Marlon Brown in the slot.

If that's what our new OC (:D ) would like to do then a Evans, Lee, Matthews or Robinson (for examples; the last two via a trade down maybe) out-wide makes better sense. CJF, ASJ, or Marcel Jensen can be grabbed later.

We'd still have a sizeable corps: 6'0 (Torrey), 6'2+ (Matthews), 6'4 (Pitta), 6'5 (Brown) and a 6'5+ (rookie TE). Obviously, a 6'5 Evans instead of Matthews would just be lol'ably absurd for match-ups.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

I like Amaro...he reminds me of Jason Witten.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Just browsing through some mocks and came across one that had us taking 1st. Mike Evans (WR. TAMU), 2nd. Antonio Richardson (OT. Tenn.), 3rd. Kyle Fuller (CB. VA Tech). I'm guessing the logic is Evans will replace the loss of Jacoby, Richardson will replace Monroe and Fuller will replace Graham.

Side Note: Fuller is a local kid, and his family seemingly has a pipeline from the Womb to VA Tech to the NFL.

Richardson would slide to right tackle there, and they must assume graham is gone

Evans sounds just like a Harbs kind of guy

"He doesn't talk a whole lot," receivers coach David Beaty said. "I'll tell you this: When he gets fired up, he gets fired up. He's a tough kid, and he demands a lot from people around him. He will not stand for people [who] are not success people. If you're a mediocre guy, he's not a fan. You have to be a high-achieving guy."

Beaty called Evans "humble" and "coachable."

"I'll tell you what, you won't find a more humble guy," Beaty said. "And he allows me to coach him, and sometimes that doesn't happen. Sometimes guys push [back]. But Mike's one of those guys that will come up to me, just out of the blue, randomly and say 'Coach, I need you to stay on me. I need to get better than what I am today' and that's refreshing."

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Meshes completely with what I've heard him say and not say at pressers and such.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Just browsing through some mocks and came across one that had us taking 1st. Mike Evans (WR. TAMU), 2nd. Antonio Richardson (OT. Tenn.), 3rd. Kyle Fuller (CB. VA Tech). I'm guessing the logic is Evans will replace the loss of Jacoby, Richardson will replace Monroe and Fuller will replace Graham.

Side Note: Fuller is a local kid, and his family seemingly has a pipeline from the Womb to VA Tech to the NFL.
    I like the picks but I do not think that Richardson will be there when we pick in the 2nd. I think he will be a 1st rounder!

Quote Originally Posted by PalladinInNC View Post
    I like the picks but I do not think that Richardson will be there when we pick in the 2nd. I think he will be a 1st rounder!
    Richardson is a fringe 1/2 guy. I would love him in the second round. I hope Wagner is the RT next year Week 1, because that would allow us some more freedom in the draft. If the coaching staff realizes that Wagner is not the guy and they need to draft a starter in round 2 Richardson would be an interesting pick. Otherwise I think our second round pick needs to be a DT/DE Dontari Poe type guy. I'm not saying they grow on trees, but Oz needs to find one. We had no push up the middle this year and we might be losing Art and cutting Canty.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Webb View Post
    Richardson is a fringe 1/2 guy. I would love him in the second round. I hope Wagner is the RT next year Week 1, because that would allow us some more freedom in the draft. If the coaching staff realizes that Wagner is not the guy and they need to draft a starter in round 2 Richardson would be an interesting pick. Otherwise I think our second round pick needs to be a DT/DE Dontari Poe type guy. I'm not saying they grow on trees, but Oz needs to find one. We had no push up the middle this year and we might be losing Art and cutting Canty.
    I would be thrilled with Evans and Richardson in the 1st and 2nd. One thing we have going for us is that our needs fit the strength of this draft, which may enable us to consider need more specifically than in year's past, while still adhering pretty closely to our BPA policy.

I'd envision Richardson, or some other solid 2nd round OT, competing with Wagner for the starting RT job, with the other being a solid backup, swing guy. One or the other would replace Oher, who I don't think the Ravens resign. All of this is assuming we resign Monroe to play LT.

While I agree that our D line push was lacking quite a bit this year, I'd be shocked if we took a D lineman anywhere but mid to late rounds. It's true that Art is all but gone, as well as Cody I believe. However, we did make Brandon Williams a 3rd round, top 100 pick last year hoping that he would soon be that guy.

Plus, we drafted Kapron Lewis-Moore late planning to give him a an IR, redshirt year so he could contribute in 2014. Without blowing out his knee, he likely would have been a much higher pick, maybe even 3rd round.

Not saying it's perfect, but I think that's always been the Ravens contingency plan. We will still have Ngata (he's not getting cut, no real cap savings) and an improving DeAngelo Tyson back. If Ngata decided to retire, that would change things, but I don't see that happening. Also, we might cut Canty, but I'm not so sure. The surprise cut could be Suggs, huge cap savings.

Nevertheless, if a Poe type is sitting there in round 2, by all means grab him. Poe was a 1st rounder, 11th overall pick. I don't even know that there are any DT's of his caliber in this draft, much less one to be had in round 2. I just feel like we have more pressing needs.

Also the Fuller pick in the 3rd is interesting, but I'm not as certain as some others are that Corey Graham is gone. I think the Ravens might keep him if they can get him for less than starting corner money. I'd like to try him out at FS and put Elam back at SS where he belongs. I do think they let Ihedigbo walk.

One thing for sure though, while I enjoyed the success that picking late in rounds indicated, it will be nice to at least get to pick in the middle of rounds in the upcoming draft.
    Last edited by Igotstoknow; 01-01-2014 at 06:35 AM.