Page 11 of 251 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Re: The Case for a Defense-heavy Draft

Quote Originally Posted by blacknpurplepain View Post
    I totally agree that the FO may not go wide reciever in the 1st bc of what Brown has shown. I was watching Evans highlights from the bama game and most of his catches was him out jumping 2 n 3 defensers even Ha Ha but I realized that all of bamas db's are 6' n under. I like Lee better but he probably be gone if the jets go wr instead of te

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    Wouldn't that help Flacco if we stick with the Air Coryell? Wouldn't that help with Flacco's tendency to throw high?

The Ravens can't go wrong if Evans or Watkins are available in the first. But neither will be available by the time the Ravens pick. Evans is as close to a sure bet as you can get for a WR not named Calvin Johnson. I could see him as the new Plaxico.

Evans was primarily a basketball player that converted to football. That's why he makes it look so easy going up to snag balls a ala Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by EdReedDaGawd View Post
    He just scored! Looks pretty good.
    He's got amazing quicks.

I think he's a little under the radar for whatever reason.

I'd love to take a shot at him if he slips to the end of the 4th.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by jimjim5 View Post
    Wouldn't that help Flacco if we stick with the Air Coryell? Wouldn't that help with Flacco's tendency to throw high?

The Ravens can't go wrong if Evans or Watkins are available in the first. But neither will be available by the time the Ravens pick. Evans is as close to a sure bet as you can get for a WR not named Calvin Johnson. I could see him as the new Plaxico.

Evans was primarily a basketball player that converted to football. That's why he makes it look so easy going up to snag balls a ala Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham.
    I don't see it, at all. Evan's a good prospect, but his inability to separate from corners is a significant concern. I think he's way overvalued on this site, and I wouldn't be surprised if he lasted into the 20s.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mizerooskie View Post
    I don't see it, at all. Evan's a good prospect, but his inability to separate from corners is a significant concern. I think he's way overvalued on this site, and I wouldn't be surprised if he lasted into the 20s.
    I agree.

One of the Ravens' main problems in the passing game for years has been the lack of a guy who fights off his man and gets open underneath on time to help Joe beat pressure. Joe is the most frequently blitzed QB in the league and one of the most sacked. Part of that is line, but part is nobody being able to get open quickly underneath.

So I don't see where Evans fits our needs, even if his strengths are what people say they are.

Mike Evans is slow. Teams won't bother to jam him because he isn't a threat to get behind the defense. I'd much rather have Jarvis Landry from LSU. He reminds me of a young Q but he needs to put on a little more muscle to make it in the league.

Smile Re: The Case for a Defense-heavy Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Webb View Post
    This is why I think the Ravens should pursue Mack and temper their excitement with Monroe. The tenth highest cap hit for a LT last year (and I will defer to Ravor if he has another number) was about 5.58 millions dollars for D'Brickashaw. The second highest cap hit for a center was 6.5 million. Obviously Monroe is going to want top 10 LT money so we're looking at giving him around 6 mil a year? Or 7 mil a year for Mack? Honestly I think its a no brainer.

I 100% agree with BigPlayReciever's notion that you need a solid 3 man wall, whether it be TGC, GCG. KO-Mack-Yanda...omg can you say maulers? Put Wagner at RT and draft your LT of the future in this draft where there seems to be a lot of solid LTs.
    This really is a different way of looking at the oline issue. Admittedly, I've been in the sign Monroe camp and then sign a lower tier center like De La Puente. But I do salivate at the idea of having Mack. He's that good. Him, Yanda and a healthy KO really could form a dominating wall.

I still would be nervous about LT though. I do think what you propose would help the run game because I don't think there'd be a huge drop off from Monroe to a high pick there. But look at what we'd gain in the interior.

It's the blind side pass protection that would scare me, the opponent's best edge rusher taking aim at Flacco from the right side with a rookie across from him. However, Joe would have a consistently cleaner pocket to step up into though.

I do also think this proposal would negatively impact our oline depth. We'd have a rookie and inexperienced sophomore manning the tackle spots, with nobody to speak of backing them up. I guess it comes down to this, what improves the oline more for roughly the same money, a top 3 center, or a maybe top 10 LT? Interesting question though.

7. Re: The Case for a Defense-heavy Draft

If the FO cuts Suggs like some people here expect them to do, along with McClain and Leach, we may be able to afford both.

A revamped line with Monroe, KO, Mack, Yanda and Wagner could be pretty beast.

Of course it won't happen, but it's nice to dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizerooskie View Post
    I'm starting to realize this in re Mike Evans. He catches a lot of jumpballs or wide open passes, I think if Marlon Brown gets some polish, he could potentially be a poor man's Mike Evans. He also makes a lot of Santonio Holmes in his plays, where Manziel is extending the play and he adjusts (Sandlot football). We need a serious route runner with excellent hands to compliment Torrey Smith so I'm starting to think Jordan Matthews might be a better fit. An added benefit is that we might be able to trade down into the 20's and STILL get him.

First, Hello new to boards, I live in central PA where they dont realize baltimore is only 1 hr away vs 4 hrs to Pitt and 3 to Philly....anyway

I would bet a months salary we trade down out of 1st round, given we love Draft picks and have no 4 or 5th rounder. That being said everyone knows we will need OL, but i think every fan knows we need offensive weapons. Joe has no real talent around him, his receivers CANNOT separate at all even torrey. But I have a fear that as Ravens, we have become deathly afraid of drafting WR talent early...I think our offense will be poor...piss poor again this coming year.

draft a true WR and get a decent OC and we win 11 games this year, our division is really bad, cincy very over rated

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    First, Hello new to boards...

I would bet a months salary we trade down out of 1st round, given we love Draft picks and have no 4 or 5th rounder...
    First, welcome to the best board, Ravens or otherwise.
    In the past the Ravens were picking quite low, so trading down into the 2nd round was the thing to do. Now with a mid-first round pick, Ozzie may trade down, but I feel it will still be in the 1st while adding a later pick to his arsenal... Bc

Just get me a WR who runs good routes and gets off press coverage well. The rest will take care of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Just get me a WR who runs good routes and gets off press coverage well. The rest will take care of itself.
    I agree, I have nightmares of us getting Jumped right before we draft a WR again... *cough* Dez *cough*