Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Blog Entries

Re: 16th pick in the draft...

Phil Simms said Elam had the best game he's seen a safety play in the league this year ( a couple weeks back).

He is great against the run, needs some help on the passing game but it'll come

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Phil Simms said Elam had the best game he's seen a safety play in the league this year ( a couple weeks back).

He is great against the run, needs some help on the passing game but it'll come
    Like most have figured out and stated, he has been playing out of position.

He is most definitely a SS type of defender...not a center fielder.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

So just to clarify, we are now picking 17 after presumably losing the coin toss with Dallas, yes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FellsPointRaven View Post
    So just to clarify, we are now picking 17 after presumably losing the coin toss with Dallas, yes?

Coin toss won't happen until February.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by FellsPointRaven View Post
    Pretty sure that the coin flip doesn't take place until February. Will try to find where I read it.

EDIT

Here it is:

The Ravens won’t know if they get the No. 16 or 17 draft pick until February at the NFL Combine, where they will flip a coin with the Dallas Cowboys, according to ESPN’s Jamison Hensley. Win the coin flip, and the Ravens will get the No. 16 pick, just behind the No. 15 Pittsburgh Steelers.
    Link

Ok as NFL Network has us at 17 so assume that's subject to change.

Potentially one expensive coin toss.

Count me among the surprised that the NFL uses a coin flip for draft position tie breakers. The playoff tie breakers go deep, I figured they'd use a similar approach.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    (1a) Did you post that about Elam when he was drafted? I still think he will be a solid SS, but he's playing out of position. BTW, did you take into consideration the Ravens picked @ #32 because they won the Super Bowl?
    (1b) You have no foresight about what Elam can become after only his rookie season.
    (2a) Great to name Reed. Do you remember that he was drafted at the 24th spot in 2002?
    (2b) Excellent 20 - 20 hindsight about a HOF Safety.

... Bc
    If I just wanted to look like the smartest guy in the room, which I'm wrong plenty, I would have said that the Elam pick was okay and Brown was the mistake pick, as Elam sure contributed more than Brown this year. Looks like, as of today, I'm wrong there.

I wasn't posting here at draft time, so you'll just have to take my word for it, but I wasn't thrilled with the rumor that we were taking a safety in the 1st. Yeah, I knew we were picking 32nd. Vaccaro was considered the only sure fire 1st rounder and the rest could be considered a mini reach, like SF moving up to take Eric Reid.

It wasn't negative toward Elam per se, but I wanted Brown and Allen, who was said to be falling, despite having been the #1 WR prospect for 4 months and was considered the most pro ready. Maybe I overstated calling the pick foolish, but questionable seems reasonable. Ozzie was in love with Elam. Once he took him I knew he'd go all in for Brown and we'd lose Allen. At this point I'd be fine if we had Elam and Allen or Brown and Allen. I just didn't want to lose Allen.

Ozzie's forgotten more about drafting than I'll ever know and has hit numerous homeruns, but I'm allowed to disagree. It happens from time to time. It's a message board. It just bugs me seeing what Allen's doing now, given how badly we need an impact wideout.

Also, where did I predict Elam's future? I do think he's out of position at FS, but could be a very high caliber SS. I said that, with rare exceptions, I don't like picking safeties in the 1st round and pointed to Reed. You used that as an opening to play the hindsight card. Reed was a great pick at #24 in 2002, but anyone who saw him at the U had to see he was a once in a generation ball hawk.

He didn't just show up at Ravens camp and start doing that stuff. It's amazing that he lasted until #24, which was only because of some concern over his measurables. But he's the exception that proves the rule, so outstanding that he breaks the mold. When else have the Ravens used a high pick on a safety? Maybe Elam will be that way too, and if so, I'll happily eat crow, but for what I wanted in the last draft, I didn't like the pick. Ray was similar to Ed. We took him in the 1st and perpetually put a bunch of UDFA's next to him.

It's fine to disagree. That's also part of what message boards are for. I'm no know it all and am wrong plenty, more often than many I'm sure, but this is what I have always thought about the last draft. Besides, I'm a big Ozzie fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Loyola View Post
    I really "f...ing" tired of trading back to get more draft picks. They don't know what to do with them when they get them. Object lesson - last years draft. Elam and Brown were virtually invisible all year and did not contribute very much.
    "I'm not sure that I agree with you a hundred percent on your policework there, Lou."

You cite Elam and Brown as an example of not knowing what to do with picks when trading down for more, but there was no trading down for the picks they used on either of them. In fact, they moved up to get Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

Part of the reason why I'm really enamored with Jordan Matthews. I see similar qualities.
    I have an unavoidable man boner for Matthews. I think they could trade down for a late 1st, pick up a 3rd and end up with a pretty nice haul of him at WR and solid picks at OT, TE & C before the 4th.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Igotstoknow View Post
    If I just wanted to look like the smartest guy in the room, which I'm wrong plenty, I would have said that the Elam pick was okay and Brown was the mistake pick, as Elam sure contributed more than Brown this year. Looks like, as of today, I'm wrong there.

I wasn't posting here at draft time, so you'll just have to take my word for it, but I wasn't thrilled with the rumor that we were taking a safety in the 1st. Yeah, I knew we were picking 32nd. Vaccaro was considered the only sure fire 1st rounder and the rest could be considered a mini reach, like SF moving up to take Eric Reid.

It wasn't negative toward Elam per se, but I wanted Brown and Allen, who was said to be falling, despite having been the #1 WR prospect for 4 months and was considered the most pro ready. Maybe I overstated calling the pick foolish, but questionable seems reasonable. Ozzie was in love with Elam. Once he took him I knew he'd go all in for Brown and we'd lose Allen. At this point I'd be fine if we had Elam and Allen or Brown and Allen. I just didn't want to lose Allen.

Ozzie's forgotten more about drafting than I'll ever know and has hit numerous homeruns, but I'm allowed to disagree. It happens from time to time. It's a message board. It just bugs me seeing what Allen's doing now, given how badly we need an impact wideout.

Also, where did I predict Elam's future? I do think he's out of position at FS, but could be a very high caliber SS. I said that, with rare exceptions, I don't like picking safeties in the 1st round and pointed to Reed. You used that as an opening to play the hindsight card. Reed was a great pick at #24 in 2002, but anyone who saw him at the U had to see he was a once in a generation ball hawk.

He didn't just show up at Ravens camp and start doing that stuff. It's amazing that he lasted until #24, which was only because of some concern over his measurables. But he's the exception that proves the rule, so outstanding that he breaks the mold. When else have the Ravens used a high pick on a safety? Maybe Elam will be that way too, and if so, I'll happily eat crow, but for what I wanted in the last draft, I didn't like the pick. Ray was similar to Ed. We took him in the 1st and perpetually put a bunch of UDFA's next to him.

It's fine to disagree. That's also part of what message boards are for. I'm no know it all and am wrong plenty, more often than many I'm sure, but this is what I have always thought about the last draft. Besides, I'm a big Ozzie fan.
    Igot, please don't take this personally because I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box. I'm certainly not a 'know it all', matter of fact my wife thinks I'm a 'know nothing.' I like to keep her guessing. Anyway, on to Ravens stuff. I don't think most Ravens fans were jumping for joy when Elam's name was announced, but (again) picking at the bottom is difficult. Ray Lewis (#26), Todd Heap (#31), and Ed Reed (#24) are examples of Ozzie choosing at the back-end, but as history has shown...wisely. Just give Elam time to show what he's got, and hopefully we will all be pleasantly surprised... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Igot, please don't take this personally because I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box. I'm certainly not a 'know it all', matter of fact my wife thinks I'm a 'know nothing.' I like to keep her guessing. Anyway, on to Ravens stuff. I don't think most Ravens fans were jumping for joy when Elam's name was announced, but (again) picking at the bottom is difficult. Ray Lewis (#26), Todd Heap (#31), and Ed Reed (#24) are examples of Ozzie choosing at the back-end, but as history has shown...wisely. Just give Elam time to show what he's got, and hopefully we will all be pleasantly surprised... Bc
    It's all good Bc. My wife thinks I should ASPIRE to be a 'know nothing'. I want Elam to be a beast too. Same with Brown.
    Last edited by Igotstoknow; 12-30-2013 at 08:10 PM.