Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Another Great Officiating Effort!

A little OT, but germane to the Ravens fate, plus and minus, this season.

Just saw the end of the SD-KC game. On the final play in overtime, a game's outcome that determined who goes to the playoffs (i.e., SD), the officials throw a flag. Now IIRC, a game cannot end on a penalty on the defense. Yet the head ref runs off the field, apparently not consulting with his team. The officials pick up the flag and run off. No announcement that "There is no flag", or any other official indication.

What a crock for a game purporting to offer integrity...

Re: Another Great Officiating Effort!

The penalty wasn't on the defense. That's why.

Daniel threw the ball past the line of scrimmage. They rightfully picked up the flag.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    A little OT, but germane to the Ravens fate, plus and minus, this season.

Just saw the end of the SD-KC game. On the final play in overtime, a game's outcome that determined who goes to the playoffs (i.e., SD), the officials throw a flag. Now IIRC, a game cannot end on a penalty on the defense. Yet the head ref runs off the field, apparently not consulting with his team. The officials pick up the flag and run off. No announcement that "There is no flag", or any other official indication.

What a crock for a game purporting to offer integrity...
    It was obvious the QB was past the line of scrimmage which is why they picked up the flag. The instant the ball left the QB's hands the game was over (except for D penalty also). Perhaps he should have explained it to the crowd, but I doubt they even cared. The outcome of the game would not have changed.

Blog Entries

I was worried for a minute, because you see the defender throw the ball into the air. You know that the original flag is for the illegal forward pass. However, I was worried that they would get the defender for a delay of game, leading to offsetting penalties and a replay of the down.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    The penalty wasn't on the defense. That's why.

Daniel threw the ball past the line of scrimmage. They rightfully picked up the flag.
    Exactly. The announcers carried on about the lack of an explanation, but anyone watching the game could see Chase Daniels was 4-5 yards past the line of scrimmage before he threw the ball. There was no need to explain a call that had no impact on the outcome, was so obvious and would not have been enforced anyway.

Blog Entries

The penalty was obvious to anyone watching on TV. Everyone (except the idiot announcer ) watching saw he was well over the line.

Houston-
    For 150K a year, I'd like to see the officials perform throughout the entire spectrum of the game, including the mundane but interesting details of why the flag was thrown, so that those ticket payers at the stadium might get the benefit of what they saw. Sure, it's moot, but that head official looked like he was trying to re-qualify by doing his 40 yard sprint off the field.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    Houston-
    For 150K a year, I'd like to see the officials perform throughout the entire spectrum of the game, including the mundane but interesting details of why the flag was thrown, so that those ticket payers at the stadium might get the benefit of what they saw. Sure, it's moot, but that head official looked like he was trying to re-qualify by doing his 40 yard sprint off the field.
    The Chargers just made the playoffs in an unlikely scenerio. Do you really think anyone in San Diego cared? The people at home like us saw it as soon as the QB threw it. For the fans at home who didn't know the announcer explained it. The refs need to improve, but this is not something to get upset over.

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    The Chargers just made the playoffs in an unlikely scenerio. Do you really think anyone in San Diego cared? The people at home like us saw it as soon as the QB threw it. For the fans at home who didn't know the announcer explained it. The refs need to improve, but this is not something to get upset over.
    Agreed.

And not only with this game, but all the games this week. Really hard to point to anything that would warrant strong criticism.

I thought the Zebras did well this week.

ER-
    No question, with the "overlines" as provided by the broadcasting sytem, it was immediately clear that the QB was had passed the LOS and threw an illegal forward pass. That's not debatable, and for those of us watching at home, yes, we saw it clearly. My points were that I did not see the head ref get the message (unless I missed that HE was the one who threw the flag), AND that those at the stadium - SD fans as well as perhaps KC and others - might have appreciated a quick PA comment form the guys officiatong as to "The game is over." Not looking for drama, just unimpressed by the officials scrambling to leave the field regardless of what happened.

That Crypt Keeper looking ref needed to explain the fake punt result better than just turn on his microphone and say that "the line to gain a first down was gained". Really? how about explaining that the whistle blew the play dead.

I thought KC got hosed there. The running back was clearly fighting for extra yardage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    I thought KC got hosed there. The running back was clearly fighting for extra yardage.
    He was, but I'm pretty sure he was down when the ball got stripped out. Just a poor explanation by the ref.