Situational Football Training (clock management)

I hope this doesn't come across as a smart ass posting because I really don't intend it to.

I think most of can agree that Harbaugh's game day skills are, shall we say ... lacking. Decision making, clock management, etc. (Billick was horrible at clock management too).

For those of you with a coaching background....is there such a thing as 'training' in these areas. Like workshops or one-on-one tutoring? Put him in simulations and have him make decisions and then have that critiqued.

I think most of us like Harbaugh and appreciate what he has accomplished. But part of me thinks that the off season talent loss has put more of a spotlight on his game day coaching, etc. I know the coaches want the players to get better in the off season. I just wonder if coaches do anything to improve their game from a training/education standpoint.

Or is this a "you either have it or you don't" kind of thing?

Re: Situational Football Training (clock management)

Given the size of NFL coaching staffs, I have often wondered why there isn't a person who is dedicated to those important tasks on the sidelines.

This week was a great example when Harbs was talking about the FG attempt versus going for the TD. He wasn't even sure why he did it in the post game, and the next day said he regretted it.

Why? Because he has 10,000 other things to think about during the game. While we are at home thinking during the whole drive about going for three vs going for seven, he is talking to coordinators, players, and officials, and in charge of every aspect of the game.

It's not that complicated for someone to do if it's their only job. It could be part time; they really only have to show up on game days. Wouldn't that be worth having someone on staff to do it? Maybe someone with HC experience? Do we still have Jim Fassel's cell number?
    "Chin up, chest out."