Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Worst salary caps? Cowboys, Saints, Steelers lead way

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    I think they have until Tuesday at 4PM to get under the cap. Maybe they plan on trying to work a long term deal with Worlids before then to bring down his 2014 cap number. I'm sure they've got a lot of options between possible restructures, extensions, and cuts. Whatever happens, they're definitely going to be busy over the next week.

Personally I'd love to see them do it with a combination of extensions and restructures. As much flack as we gave them for doing it in the past, the results speak for themselves. They had a team that they felt was good enough to win Super Bowls and decided they would pay the price down the road to keep a talented team together to keep winning. But at this point their roster is turning a corner and I doubt they can win another one by keeping their current group of players together. So as a Ravens fan I'd love to see them extending old players like Heath Miller and Troy Polamalu and restructuring long contracts like Antonio Brown and Lawrence Timmons. Maybe they'll even do an extension for Big Ben.

I'm not sure how likely any of those are (other than the Miller extension), but I'd love to see it happen.
    Polamalu extension would help a lot, but they have until Monday afternoon to be in cap compliance. Unless they've made headway recently, that's a lot to expect by Monday.

I have no doubt they will find a way by Monday. Question is how much they will handcuff themselves on future. Worlids tag was a little odd. That might spell the end for Woodley, but that's a TON of dead money. They'd have to do it as a June 1st cut, because right now he's got more DEAD money than savings. Guy underproduced every year until when he needed to. That'd be like us giving Kruger the tag last year. Just don't think it was a good decision.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Polamalu extension would help a lot, but they have until Monday afternoon to be in cap compliance. Unless they've made headway recently, that's a lot to expect by Monday.
    Thought it was Tuesday, but yea, they're gonna be busy.

Question is how much they will handcuff themselves on future. Worlids tag was a little odd. That might spell the end for Woodley, but that's a TON of dead money. They'd have to do it as a June 1st cut, because right now he's got more DEAD money than savings. Guy underproduced every year until when he needed to. That'd be like us giving Kruger the tag last year. Just don't think it was a good decision.
    Yea the Worlids tag seemed like an odd move for a team up against the cap, unless they're convinced that they can use it to get a deal done by Tuesday. But if they're relying on that they're giving the player a lot of leverage. More likely, I think they'll make some cuts, extensions, and restructures elsewhere and try an work on a long term deal for Worlids throughout the offseason.

We know they're extending Miller. They said they're not cutting Polamalu which screams extension to me. Seems like they have to cut someone at some point, but like you said, no relief until June 1 w/ Woodley. At least they could use any savings there to sign draft picks and have room to stay under the cap after the rest of their roster starts counting against the cap with the start of the season.

Not worried. This topic is a repeat of last year, and the year before. They will work it out, they don't have a choice. Look for Ike to take a pay cut or to test FA. Kiesel could be gone too. Troy will restructure/extend. That is for starters. They are trimming down the big vet contracts. Look for Thomas, Bell, Jones, Wheaton, and maybe even Moye to get more time, substantially more time.

Quote Originally Posted by Complex View Post
    Not worried. This topic is a repeat of last year, and the year before. They will work it out, they don't have a choice. Look for Ike to take a pay cut or to test FA. Kiesel could be gone too. Troy will restructure/extend. That is for starters. They are trimming down the big vet contracts. Look for Thomas, Bell, Jones, Wheaton, and maybe even Moye to get more time, substantially more time.
    I think the difference is that in years past they had a team that was convincingly good enough to be a contender. I'm not sure that's the case anymore. If the young players coming in and play really well then maybe they can return to that point, but the deadweight on the cap is still going to keep them from being as good as they could be. If those players don't play well the team could really slip.

Blog Entries

Polamalu extension is done. Well, nevermind there, that should free up a lot.

Still kicking cans down the road.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Hard to tell. Bell I think has proven himself. The rest not so. The Steelers love to sit rookies way too much. The offense will be fine, it is the defense I am worried about. I forgot to add Clark to that list - he will more than likely be gone as well. I think as they shed the vets like Kiesel and Clark, they will free money up. They will have a different look this upcoming season for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    I think the difference is that in years past they had a team that was convincingly good enough to be a contender. I'm not sure that's the case anymore. If the young players coming in and play really well then maybe they can return to that point, but the deadweight on the cap is still going to keep them from being as good as they could be. If those players don't play well the team could really slip.

Blog Entries

Hard to tell. Bell I think has proven himself. The rest not so. The Steelers love to sit rookies way too much. The offense will be fine, it is the defense I am worried about. I forgot to add Clark to that list - he will more than likely be gone as well. I think as they shed the vets like Kiesel and Clark, they will free money up. They will have a different look this upcoming season for sure.
    Clark is not on the books for 2014, according to OverTheCap.com. Neither is The Beard.

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Te...lers&Year=2014

Looks like it's updated with Heath's new deal, but not yet with Polamalu's. Before Polamalu extension, Steelers still 11.673 over the cap. Ian Rapoport says Polamalu's cap number lowered by 4.5 mil. And as said before, Ike and Levi would create 13.25 mil in cap space.

So assuming they make the two cuts mentioned, that's 6 mil in cap space, BUT not counting in Will Allen's deal yet. Also, consider that they still need to tender RFA, ERFA, and have rookie cap room.

Can't be done yet, but as I said, they'd find a way and they did. Just painfully.

I have not even seen the report - thanks for the news. It seems they do have some work to do!

Clark is not on the books for 2014, according to OverTheCap.com. Neither is The Beard.

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Te...lers&Year=2014

Looks like it's updated with Heath's new deal, but not yet with Polamalu's. Before Polamalu extension, Steelers still 11.673 over the cap. Ian Rapoport says Polamalu's cap number lowered by 4.5 mil. And as said before, Ike and Levi would create 13.25 mil in cap space.

So assuming they make the two cuts mentioned, that's 6 mil in cap space, BUT not counting in Will Allen's deal yet. Also, consider that they still need to tender RFA, ERFA, and have rookie cap room.

Can't be done yet, but as I said, they'd find a way and they did. Just painfully.

Blog Entries

That site does a pretty good job of breaking down the numbers, also includes as "Top 51" entry to track for when the team goes over the 51 roster spots used to calculate the cap. Also includes contract numbers in future years so you can begin prognosticating.

Blog Entries

Cut Levi Brown, Curtis Brown, Larry Foote

Levi saves 6.25 mil, Curtis and Larry save 1.81 mil

That gets them under the cap by 887k. Enough to survive Monday's "cap compliance" level.

Thanks for the follow up - you seem quite schooled in the ways and means of the seedy underbelly of contracts and such. I saw your other post in regard to being 887K under the cap - celebrate, yaaaayyyyy! Just kidding of course, they have much work to do . . .

That site does a pretty good job of breaking down the numbers, also includes as "Top 51" entry to track for when the team goes over the 51 roster spots used to calculate the cap. Also includes contract numbers in future years so you can begin prognosticating.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the follow up - you seem quite schooled in the ways and means of the seedy underbelly of contracts and such. I saw your other post in regard to being 887K under the cap - celebrate, yaaaayyyyy! Just kidding of course, they have much work to do . . .

Every year I see these "steelers are in cap hell" threads and every year they figure it out. I don't see why this year will be any different. They have smart football guys like the rest of the league

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!