Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Worst salary caps? Cowboys, Saints, Steelers lead way

Well, they did end up the SB 3 times in the past 7 years or so. I would think more than any other team has in a long time in such as short span of time. So yes, that would catch up to any team, the Steelers included. The last time they went to the playoffs was two years ago, and they lost to Tebow who earned the win. It is my contention that if that game is played ten times, the Steelers win 9 of those.

I never said they were "competitive." I clearly explained in my post they were on he decline and it is my opinion they have a short amount of time before the real retooling begins. I also stated that they could drop some big names. And as far as restructuring, who did they restructure this past year? Please provide me with that list.

And as I explained in my reply to the OP, Worilds has a limited resume. Sure, his stats are hot, but that is a short run. I think he will test FA, see the moderate offers that he is offered, and stick with Steelers with whom he is familiar. That is what seems to be the current scuttlebutt.

And why are you so sure the Ravens will be in contention next year? Is that based on this year? If so, I give the Steelers just as much a chance as the Ravens, if not a little more. Roethlisberger is having a great year and for I think the second time, seems to have played a full year. The OL is coming together, and the offense as a whole is scoring points.

I sense hostility from you, and I don't get it - and it is obvious either you did not read my post or chose to ignore my points. Regardless, I will contribute to yours. Yes, the Browns, if they manage to land a competent QB could be in serious contention for the AFC next year.

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Seriously this is seriously funny in it's outrageousness. Pittsburgh used to be good at managing it's cap. Somewhere towards the end of the last decade however they lost all cap dicipline when they started throwing restructured and extended contracts all over the place as if acting like Daniel Snyder would point to success-unlike a Daniel Snyder team.

Pittsburgh has been in cap jail for a few years now and will continue to be there for a few more years. Their cap problems have taken them out of serious contention in the AFC North. When was the last time they made the playoffs? Oh yeah when they lost to the Tebows three years ago. It will be at least three more years before they get their shit together to contend again. They are needing to shed core players and since they are cap strapped they don;t have adequate replacements. Worilds' would be insane to take a moderate contract with the Steelers especially seeing inferior players like Kruger and Ellerbe cash in last year to a tune that Pittsburgh can't match. Restructuring the likes of Timmons and Brown will once again just be kicking their cap problems down the line ensuring more years of non-competitiveness.

Losing the likes of declining but still core players due solely to cap issues like Polamalu, Taylor, and Kiesel without having ready replacements does not make a competitive team. If that's what you think is acceptable then welcome to Pallookaville. Population: you.

For the forseeable future our division has Cincy with (hopefully) the Ravens fighting it out for the title. If the Clowns can get any sort of QB in the draft then their chances of joining the Big 2 are way better than Pittsburgh's.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Complex View Post
    Well, they did end up the SB 3 times in the past 7 years or so. I would think more than any other team has in a long time in such as short span of time. So yes, that would catch up to any team, the Steelers included. The last time they went to the playoffs was two years ago, and they lost to Tebow who earned the win. It is my contention that if that game is played ten times, the Steelers win 9 of those.

I never said they were "competitive." I clearly explained in my post they were on he decline and it is my opinion they have a short amount of time before the real retooling begins. I also stated that they could drop some big names. And as far as restructuring, who did they restructure this past year? Please provide me with that list.

And as I explained in my reply to the OP, Worilds has a limited resume. Sure, his stats are hot, but that is a short run. I think he will test FA, see the moderate offers that he is offered, and stick with Steelers with whom he is familiar. That is what seems to be the current scuttlebutt.

And why are you so sure the Ravens will be in contention next year? Is that based on this year? If so, I give the Steelers just as much a chance as the Ravens, if not a little more. Roethlisberger is having a great year and for I think the second time, seems to have played a full year. The OL is coming together, and the offense as a whole is scoring points.

I sense hostility from you, and I don't get it - and it is obvious either you did not read my post or chose to ignore my points. Regardless, I will contribute to yours. Yes, the Browns, if they manage to land a competent QB could be in serious contention for the AFC next year.
    The Steelers used to be one of the best teams in the league at drafting players who became significant contributors. That allowed them to replace player who they couldn't afford to keep. That hasn't the case for a while now. Since 2008 they've either missed on picks or had a tough time keeping the good ones as soon as they hit free agency. It's tough to stay competitive when faced with both those problems. By the time the Steelers are building up again Ben will no longer be on the team and it could be back the to mediocre QBs they had for many years before he got there.

Best thing about DAL being on the list is that the vast majority of their fans have no idea they're on the damn list. Hell, they can't even name the starting 22.

1. Find a DAL fan
    2. Present him/her with an outlined map of Texas with each of the four largest cities marked (but not named)
    3. Ask them to point to Dallas
    4. Mock them mercilessly
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

This I can agree with. It will take much effort by many people to be competitive again.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The Steelers used to be one of the best teams in the league at drafting players who became significant contributors. That allowed them to replace player who they couldn't afford to keep. That hasn't the case for a while now. Since 2008 they've either missed on picks or had a tough time keeping the good ones as soon as they hit free agency. It's tough to stay competitive when faced with both those problems. By the time the Steelers are building up again Ben will no longer be on the team and it could be back the to mediocre QBs they had for many years before he got there.

The Skins might have a good cap now, but they'll find a way to screw it up. They always have.

The Skins seem to look good on paper every single year. And with RGIII, one would think there was much potential. I am starting to think RGIII might be part of the problem . If his name were Earl Phillips or something mundane like that then he would be just another QB for the Redskins.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    The Skins might have a good cap now, but they'll find a way to screw it up. They always have.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Complex View Post
    The Skins seem to look good on paper every single year. And with RGIII, one would think there was much potential. I am starting to think RGIII might be part of the problem . If his name were Earl Phillips or something mundane like that then he would be just another QB for the Redskins.
    This whole thing does give you the impression that he's a bit spoiled and needs to be treated differently than the other guys. Now that the defenses stack the box and force him to be a pocket passer, he's struggled. Will be interesting to see what the do in terms of coach, OC, etc. next year. With all the needs that they have you'd think one of those QBs would be trade bait.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

It's his fault but it's sorta not his fault. He couldn't help that the nation turned him into a god in his rookie year, but he definitely could've spent the offseason training his pocket passer skills instead of filming documentaries, starring in Subway and Gatorade commercials, clashing with Shanny, participating in Memorial Day parades, and making his wedding a national event.

Blog Entries

And the Steelers have started dealing with their cap for this year...in the same way they do EVERY year...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...lers-contract/

Now, the interesting thing here is that Miller was entering the final year of his deal. So with no future years to push money in, how can you lower that number, unless he took a pay cut?
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Now, the interesting thing here is that Miller was entering the final year of his deal. So with no future years to push money in, how can you lower that number, unless he took a pay cut?
    Contract extension. Same thing we just did w/ Suggs.

Blog Entries

I know they'll find a way, but I just can't wait to see how the Steelers will figure out a way out of cap jail...

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Te...lers&Year=2014

15 mil over the cap with the Heath extension and Worlids transition tag.
    Just announced they will NOT cut Polamalu, who was clearly their biggest cap saver.
    They can cut Ike Taylor and Levi Brown to get them MOST of the way there, still would be 1.75 over the cap

Also consider, that's without signing a single free agent, tendering a single RFA or ERFA, or their rookie signings.

Calling Criss Angel...
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

I think they have until Tuesday at 4PM to get under the cap. Maybe they plan on trying to work a long term deal with Worlids before then to bring down his 2014 cap number. I'm sure they've got a lot of options between possible restructures, extensions, and cuts. Whatever happens, they're definitely going to be busy over the next week.

Personally I'd love to see them do it with a combination of extensions and restructures. As much flack as we gave them for doing it in the past, the results speak for themselves. They had a team that they felt was good enough to win Super Bowls and decided they would pay the price down the road to keep a talented team together to keep winning. But at this point their roster is turning a corner and I doubt they can win another one by keeping their current group of players together. So as a Ravens fan I'd love to see them extending old players like Heath Miller and Troy Polamalu and restructuring long contracts like Antonio Brown and Lawrence Timmons. Maybe they'll even do an extension for Big Ben.

I'm not sure how likely any of those are (other than the Miller extension), but I'd love to see it happen.
    Last edited by Kyle Cactus; 03-05-2014 at 11:13 AM.