Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Who out of the big 4 free agents will be retained?

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    The Bushrod I've seen stinks. He stunk in New Orleans, and he has been mediocre at absolute best this year.

The 2 rookies...Long and Mills are the players that improved Chicago's line IMHO.

Monroe isn't the superstar some people may have thought when he came here, but he's been pretty good and I'd take him over Bushrod every day of the week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    :word

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I think its the complete opposite, Bushrod isn't on Monroe's level IMO. Not that PFF is a football bible or anything, I'm not a huge fan of it, but it is pretty decent IMO when analyzing linemen. It has Bushrod at -.7.6 is pass pro, and -1.0 in run blocking. Monroe has scored a rating of +13.3 in pass pro, and +4.0 in run blocking. To top it all off, on a pretty impressive offense that schemes much better than ours, Bushrod has given up 41 QB hurries on the year, on the other hand Monroe has only given up 15. And if you're not a big fan of PFF, just look at filmstudy's gratings of Monroe since he's been here, they have been consistently very good, and certainly much better than anything we've had there since Jarred Gaither.

Bushrod was a rip off for the Bears IMO, and Monroe is worth about the contract that he got. I still find it puzzling how the Bears overpaid by that much.
    I agree with your last statement for sure. 2012 Bushrod was, from my view, barely better then Oher. 2013 Bushrod has been almost a new player from what I have seen. He's getting good push in the run game and has sustained his blocks in PassPro much better then I thought he was capable of. Most ravens fans have more faith in 2013 Monroe then I do, again, from what I have seen.
    I still stand by the fact that from where i am sitting, from what i have seen, that Bushrod has been a clearly better player thus far this year.
    I did NOT see Monroe play in JAX, to be honest, and have only seen 4-5 complete CHI games.
    Monroe has been consistently above average when I watch him.
    Last edited by jonboy79; 12-27-2013 at 05:24 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Monroe has been consistently above average when I watch him.
    That alone, IMO is enough to throw money at him. Despite our differences on the Bushrod vs Monroe subject, LTs are hard to come by. Above average on a consistent basis could be the difference between winning another SB if we have a competent offense next season.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    That alone, IMO is enough to throw money at him. Despite our differences on the Bushrod vs Monroe subject, LTs are hard to come by. Above average on a consistent basis could be the difference between winning another SB if we have a competent offense next season.
    I mean I get it...

To me, Monroe simply has limited upside. VERY high floor, but his ceiling is relatively low as well. I don't think that he will ever be a player we choose to run behind regularly, but away from. He does everything fairly well, and when he gets his assignment right is better then that at pass blocking, which is the more important part of playing LT. I'm just spoiled by Gaither I suppose... and it's hard for me to suggest paying elite dollars to someone with a small fraction of the physical ability of Big Ole Jared.
    It could also be that I see many pundits ranking Hurst and Kuandijo fairly low, as in reachable range... and I see both of them having MUCH greater physical size and talent then Monroe. Most likely lower floor then Monroe, but also much higher ceiling as prospects. I really like the giant, nimble, LT prospects.
    I suppose I should just shut up because at least now we have a LT willing to use his hands. It's a giant step up... I guess I'm asking for too much.

iggyman555 Guest

if we have a chance a zack martin (ND) i dont mind losing monroe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    why Martin? I've seen several OT mocked higher than him, he's likely a 3rd rounder or low 2nd based on what I've seen. Walterfootball has the Ravens taking Cyrus Kouandjio in the 1st. Oz goes back to Bama again?

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    why Martin? I've seen several OT mocked higher than him, he's likely a 3rd rounder or low 2nd based on what I've seen. Walterfootball has the Ravens taking Cyrus Kouandjio in the 1st. Oz goes back to Bama again?
    was just watching the ND game, he was dominating the rutgers playes, i think one of them is also getting drafted

Blog Entries

WalterFootball has Martin going :

"64. Seattle Seahawks: Zack Martin, G/OT, Notre Dame
    The Seahawks, who can afford to go with the best player available, have multiple areas of concern on their offensive line, including both guard spots. Imagine how potent Russell Wilson would be with upgraded protection."

... Bc

I think Kuandijo is highly underrated at the moment, and could certainly end up going top 10.

Overthecap.com salary cap calculator

• Cut Leach and Koch ($2.8M is way too much for a punter) and we have almost $20M in space.
    • Sign all ERFA's
    • Doss to original contract tender
    • give Pitta 5 year $25M with $6m bonus min salary first year
    • give Monroe 6 year $51M w/ $10M bonus min salary first year
    • sign D. Smith to 3 year $12M w/ $4M bonus

With all that, we're $9M under the cap with 43 players signed. Take off another $6-7M for rookies and we're down to less than $3M. That's without doing anything to Suggs or McClain. Cutting both of them (or trading in Suggs' case) would save us another $11M. Not to mention that these are likely contract ceilings for these players, and could very well sign for less.

We're not as in that bad of cap space (yet) as people think. Sure we don't have the space to go after any big free agents, but that not Ozzie's MO anyway.A lot of misinformed replies going on in this thread.

Ngata,Suggs,and Yanda will take pay cuts. Maybe even Webb and Rice too. No way those players should count that much toward the cap with their age/performances. Daryl Smith won't sign a huge contract. He and Karlos Dansby are around the same age and Dansby doesn't think he'll make bank. Pitta's 29 and having a shite year I think he'll stay. Monroe is the biggest priority to resign. I think some team will give J.J. a bigger paycheck than he deserves. Art's probably gone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    Free agency is a month before the draft. They won't be able to wait and see when they have to make their pitch for Monroe