Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Who out of the big 4 free agents will be retained?

I'd really like to see them bring all four back but it's probably not going to happen. I don't see how they can sign Monroe, some team will outbid them. Pitta likely will return and I hope Daryl Smith too.

IMHO - Jacoby Jones is the most important of the four - that guy wins games for us.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I'd like to see all 4 remain, and don't think it's too pie in the sky either.
    Monroe, however is a player I think needs to be watched from a budgetary standpoint. HE's good, but NOT GREAT. He's almost certainly less valuable then Jermon Bushrod was last year, and his contract should reflect that.
    Pitta, is, very old for his NFL service time, coming off a major injury and does not have elite measuables or stats, and his contract should reflect that.
    Jacoby, is right around 30 when the contract starts, is NOT a starting quality WR and plays a speed position, and as such, should have a limited value and commensurate contract.
    Daryl Smith plays a low-value position, and is already over 30, shouldn't get much interest from elsewhere, and should be signed in the sub$3m a year range for 2-3 years.

SO if these guys want contract figures they deserve,, we have a decent chance at getting all 4. If anyone wants to overpay any of them, they can go get that money as far as I'm concerned.
    Comparable contracts, IMO.
    Bushrod>Monroe
    Martellus Bennett>Pitta>Delanie Walker
    Hester>Jones>Ginn... Not that Hester is still more valuable then Jones, but his contract is whack.
    Lofton/Hawethorne etc > Daryl Smith 14 > Daryl Smith 13

I dont get why we dont trade Suggs and get some picks? Why just cut him?

There are plenty of teams that need a top tier pass rusher and Suggs can still play at a high level.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I don't think it's an indictment of him. DeAngelo Tyson has just been playing well.
    Some of the Einsteins on here were projecting a final opening-week roster that had Tyson being cut an Furstenberg making the 53.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I'd like to see all 4 remain, and don't think it's too pie in the sky either.
    Monroe, however is a player I think needs to be watched from a budgetary standpoint. HE's good, but NOT GREAT. He's almost certainly less valuable then Jermon Bushrod was last year, and his contract should reflect that.
    Bushrod>Monroe
    I literally spit my soda all over my desk when I read this.

Bushrod is just so so so so awful. He almost got Drew Brees killed last year. He's been moderately better this season, but during his best stretch of play, he's still not the player that Monroe is during one of his worst stretches.

If the Ravens had Bushrod at LT this year, Flacco would have been on IR weeks ago, with how long he likes to hold the football. Bushrod's performance in 2012 was one of the worst ever by a LT.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post

IMHO - Jacoby Jones is the most important of the four - that guy wins games for us.
    Not to toot my own horn here, but this is what I kept saying ad nauseum when all the "will we cut Jacoby?" threads popped up during the summer.

If Jacoby made one big play one time in this season that turned a win into a loss, he instantly becomes worth the $4.9 million cap figure. This year, when you factor the plays he made against the Vikings, Steelers, and Lions, the Ravens are likely a 6-9 team right now without him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Not to toot my own horn here, but this is what I kept saying ad nauseum when all the "will we cut Jacoby?" threads popped up during the summer.

If Jacoby made one big play one time in this season that turned a win into a loss, he instantly becomes worth the $4.9 million cap figure. This year, when you factor the plays he made against the Vikings, Steelers, and Lions, the Ravens are likely a 6-9 team right now without him.
    Not to mention that the Ravens probably don't win the Super Bowl last year without Jacoby. IMO, Flacco and Jacoby should have shared that Super Bowl MVP Award.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post
    I dont get why we dont trade Suggs and get some picks?
    Suggs will be 32 next October, while not that old, it's old enough in NFL terms. Plus he's making multi-million$. Wise teams do not sign ageing players, who are over-paid, much less trade draft picks for them... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    I literally spit my soda all over my desk when I read this.

Bushrod is just so so so so awful. He almost got Drew Brees killed last year. He's been moderately better this season, but during his best stretch of play, he's still not the player that Monroe is during one of his worst stretches.

If the Ravens had Bushrod at LT this year, Flacco would have been on IR weeks ago, with how long he likes to hold the football. Bushrod's performance in 2012 was one of the worst ever by a LT.
    I take it you haven't watched the Bears much this year. Either with Cutler or McCown, the release has been much slower then Brees from Bushrod's past. They have been very infrequently sacked and gotten FAR better push in the run game from the left side then we have. I stand by my statement, Monroe is NOT on Bushrod's level, and should be paid markedly less. Perhaps $6-7m per year.
    I shared your opinion last year.
    This year Bushrod has been one of the best in the business and has almost single-handedly turned the Bears OLine from the worst in the league to one of the best.

Oher was far worse in '12 then Bushrod, so worst ever... nah, not even the worst in the league, and ARI had tackles worse then Oher as well.

While we all know why, just think it's such an indictment that we're more worried about losing a P/T WR & KR than the starting RT.

Blog Entries

I think its the complete opposite, Bushrod isn't on Monroe's level IMO. Not that PFF is a football bible or anything, I'm not a huge fan of it, but it is pretty decent IMO when analyzing linemen. It has Bushrod at -.7.6 is pass pro, and -1.0 in run blocking. Monroe has scored a rating of +13.3 in pass pro, and +4.0 in run blocking. To top it all off, on a pretty impressive offense that schemes much better than ours, Bushrod has given up 41 QB hurries on the year, on the other hand Monroe has only given up 15. And if you're not a big fan of PFF, just look at filmstudy's gratings of Monroe since he's been here, they have been consistently very good, and certainly much better than anything we've had there since Jarred Gaither.

Bushrod was a rip off for the Bears IMO, and Monroe is worth about the contract that he got. I still find it puzzling how the Bears overpaid by that much.

The Bushrod I've seen stinks. He stunk in New Orleans, and he has been mediocre at absolute best this year.

The 2 rookies...Long and Mills are the players that improved Chicago's line IMHO.

Monroe isn't the superstar some people may have thought when he came here, but he's been pretty good and I'd take him over Bushrod every day of the week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.