Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Who out of the big 4 free agents will be retained?

Both Jones are gone. Which sucks because this year Art Jones had a breakout year and Jacolby became a much better receiver.
    Smith should be relatively cheap.
    Monroe for a 1st rounder hasn't set the world on fire and might stay cheap.
    I think We already have our center in Jensen and possibly our RT in Wagner.
    Line has the possibility of being much better next year.

1. Monroe. Likely we keep him-say 75% likely-but if we don;t then we can probably keep a couple of other FAs.
    2. Darryl Smith. Losing him would be a disaster to our ILB group. Hell that group is pretty poor outside of him.
    3. Dennis Pitta. He won't be real expensive but at this point we won't be offering him all that much. This could get dicey.
    4. James Ihedigbo. More of a priority than Jacoby Jones. Unless the team wants to draft a FS early.
    5. Corey Graham. Would like to lock him up for 2-3 years to get the team past the soon to be very difficult Jimmy Smith salary talks.
    SPECIAL BONUS PICKS: Michael Oher and Ed Dickson- get on the re-sign radar if the team loses Monroe or Pitta. Ravens fans freak out.
    6. Jacoby Jones- possibly he will get no real offers. Only way he comes back to us if he's below $2M/year.

Arthur Jones and Terrance Cody- see ya.

Albert McClellan & Josh Bynes . Seems like they will keep one if not both. Depends if they are serious about drafting an ILB this year like Skov or Borland.

Blog Entries

Arthur Jones and Jacoby Jones are as good as gone. Both will get offers the Ravens cant match.

I think they will keep Monroe, Smith, Pitta, Graham...Pitta could get sticky if some team decides to put up real money ...will the Ravens match?

I think you let Oher, Dickson, Cody go their merry way for various reason. I think you may let Ihedigbo go also if some other team get the idea he is worth more than he is. If they can get him back their price they should, if not goodbye.

Ngata is not going anywhere. Suggs though I could see at the very least a restructure but it would not stun me if they did cut him if the money is needed to improve the offensive side of the ball (now and future).
    A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,
    -Ray Lewis

UFA we shouldn't even bother with- Oher, Jacoby, Graham, Miles, Cody, Clark, Stokley

Daryl Smith and Ihedigbo should be retained if the price is right. Not many safeties in the draft, personally I think safety position is weakest position in this draft class.

Dickson...I absolutely hate him sometimes. In recent weeks he's come around and started catching the ball. If he resigns for vets minimum we should retain him. He's just such a physical beast.

Art Jones we can only hope someone doesn't over pay.

Pitta needs to be retained. I think he's priority number 1.

Monroe hopefully won't be too expensive. I keep flip flopping on his status with the team because I just don't think he's played well enough to garner a top ten LT contract. However, Shipley's horrendous play at LG might be part of Monroe's problem. I see the Ravens resigning him though.

Players to cut- Leach, McClain, AQ, Koch. Gives us 6,520,000 in cap savings. Add that to the 14 million that we'll be under the cap and we have 20.5 million to spend.

Some posters brought up possibly cutting Canty. I think that's a very real possibly. Another couple million in savings. If it's the difference between retaining Art and not, cut Canty. We have a nice young group of defensive lineman.

Now the question of Suggs. If Ravens cut him we gain 7.8 mil in cap room. Honestly I don't want any restructures. I'd rather he just play out his contract year and Oz makes a decision afterwards. Let him hit the market in 2015 and let the market dictate his value. In other threads I've suggested we restructure Suggs, but I've come to realize it just puts you in cap jail.

This years draft is deep at the OL and CB positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Mike won't be back unless he takes a super cheap deal

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    Big Mike won't be back unless he takes a super cheap deal

The only thing Big Mike is good for is popping up during a hard count to draw the defense. Conversely, he's usually good for 2-3 false starts per game, so that is kind of a wash.

Blog Entries

I'd really like to see them bring all four back but it's probably not going to happen. I don't see how they can sign Monroe, some team will outbid them. Pitta likely will return and I hope Daryl Smith too.

IMHO - Jacoby Jones is the most important of the four - that guy wins games for us.
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I'd like to see all 4 remain, and don't think it's too pie in the sky either.
    Monroe, however is a player I think needs to be watched from a budgetary standpoint. HE's good, but NOT GREAT. He's almost certainly less valuable then Jermon Bushrod was last year, and his contract should reflect that.
    Pitta, is, very old for his NFL service time, coming off a major injury and does not have elite measuables or stats, and his contract should reflect that.
    Jacoby, is right around 30 when the contract starts, is NOT a starting quality WR and plays a speed position, and as such, should have a limited value and commensurate contract.
    Daryl Smith plays a low-value position, and is already over 30, shouldn't get much interest from elsewhere, and should be signed in the sub$3m a year range for 2-3 years.

SO if these guys want contract figures they deserve,, we have a decent chance at getting all 4. If anyone wants to overpay any of them, they can go get that money as far as I'm concerned.
    Comparable contracts, IMO.
    Bushrod>Monroe
    Martellus Bennett>Pitta>Delanie Walker
    Hester>Jones>Ginn... Not that Hester is still more valuable then Jones, but his contract is whack.
    Lofton/Hawethorne etc > Daryl Smith 14 > Daryl Smith 13

I dont get why we dont trade Suggs and get some picks? Why just cut him?

There are plenty of teams that need a top tier pass rusher and Suggs can still play at a high level.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I don't think it's an indictment of him. DeAngelo Tyson has just been playing well.
    Some of the Einsteins on here were projecting a final opening-week roster that had Tyson being cut an Furstenberg making the 53.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I'd like to see all 4 remain, and don't think it's too pie in the sky either.
    Monroe, however is a player I think needs to be watched from a budgetary standpoint. HE's good, but NOT GREAT. He's almost certainly less valuable then Jermon Bushrod was last year, and his contract should reflect that.
    Bushrod>Monroe
    I literally spit my soda all over my desk when I read this.

Bushrod is just so so so so awful. He almost got Drew Brees killed last year. He's been moderately better this season, but during his best stretch of play, he's still not the player that Monroe is during one of his worst stretches.

If the Ravens had Bushrod at LT this year, Flacco would have been on IR weeks ago, with how long he likes to hold the football. Bushrod's performance in 2012 was one of the worst ever by a LT.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post

IMHO - Jacoby Jones is the most important of the four - that guy wins games for us.
    Not to toot my own horn here, but this is what I kept saying ad nauseum when all the "will we cut Jacoby?" threads popped up during the summer.

If Jacoby made one big play one time in this season that turned a win into a loss, he instantly becomes worth the $4.9 million cap figure. This year, when you factor the plays he made against the Vikings, Steelers, and Lions, the Ravens are likely a 6-9 team right now without him.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Not to toot my own horn here, but this is what I kept saying ad nauseum when all the "will we cut Jacoby?" threads popped up during the summer.

If Jacoby made one big play one time in this season that turned a win into a loss, he instantly becomes worth the $4.9 million cap figure. This year, when you factor the plays he made against the Vikings, Steelers, and Lions, the Ravens are likely a 6-9 team right now without him.
    Not to mention that the Ravens probably don't win the Super Bowl last year without Jacoby. IMO, Flacco and Jacoby should have shared that Super Bowl MVP Award.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post
    I dont get why we dont trade Suggs and get some picks?
    Suggs will be 32 next October, while not that old, it's old enough in NFL terms. Plus he's making multi-million$. Wise teams do not sign ageing players, who are over-paid, much less trade draft picks for them... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    I literally spit my soda all over my desk when I read this.

Bushrod is just so so so so awful. He almost got Drew Brees killed last year. He's been moderately better this season, but during his best stretch of play, he's still not the player that Monroe is during one of his worst stretches.

If the Ravens had Bushrod at LT this year, Flacco would have been on IR weeks ago, with how long he likes to hold the football. Bushrod's performance in 2012 was one of the worst ever by a LT.
    I take it you haven't watched the Bears much this year. Either with Cutler or McCown, the release has been much slower then Brees from Bushrod's past. They have been very infrequently sacked and gotten FAR better push in the run game from the left side then we have. I stand by my statement, Monroe is NOT on Bushrod's level, and should be paid markedly less. Perhaps $6-7m per year.
    I shared your opinion last year.
    This year Bushrod has been one of the best in the business and has almost single-handedly turned the Bears OLine from the worst in the league to one of the best.

Oher was far worse in '12 then Bushrod, so worst ever... nah, not even the worst in the league, and ARI had tackles worse then Oher as well.