Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Who out of the big 4 free agents will be retained?

With a cap hit of 14 mill or we it is Ngata isn't going anywhere. Neither is Sizzle. I could see restructuring but that's it. As for the 4 you listed all will be back except for JJ. They'll go for a returner in the draft that might be able to contribute more in offense.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    With a cap hit of 14 mill or we it is Ngata isn't going anywhere. Neither is Sizzle. I could see restructuring but that's it. As for the 4 you listed all will be back except for JJ. They'll go for a returner in the draft that might be able to contribute more in offense.
    I'm always happy to be corrected by the board capologists, but here's how I see it:

The farthest we would want to extend Suggs is three years. Any more than that and you risk putting yourself in serious cap jail.

His cap number for next year includes $7.8MM in salary plus $4.6MM in prorated bonus for a total of $12.4MM. If you convert that $7.8MM to bonus to be assessed against the cap in 2015-1017, you get the $7.8MM cap relief in 2014 -- and we definitely need it.

But what does Suggs salary look like for those three years? Franchise tag number for his position is around $10MM. So maybe his salary in 2015 is about $5MM, then $7MM in 2016, and $9MM in 2017? His true cap number then would be $4.6MM next year, $7.6MM in 2015, $9.6MM in 2016, and you probably cut him and take the $2.6MM in dead money for 2017.

Alternatively, you just cut him next year, take the $4.6MM cap hit, and be done with it. So is it worth restructuring Sizzle at numbers like this? Or am I overestimating what we'd have to pay him on a three year deal?
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I think Brandon Williams has been caught in a numbers crunch. I don't think it's an indictment of him. DeAngelo Tyson has just been playing well.
    Arthur Jones is as good as gone, so is T. Cody, and Chris Canty may be too (if he's unwilling to take the veteran minimum). IMO the Ravens will be counting on young DLinemen like Tyson, B. Wms, and McPhee (assuming he's not thought of at OLB), to step up in 2014... Bc

Perhaps we need to be asking what coaches will be retained. If they go into next season with the same cast, forget it. Our neanderthal offense, in particular, has to change.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by veritas View Post
    Perhaps we need to be asking what coaches will be retained. If they go into next season with the same cast, forget it. Our neanderthal offense, in particular, has to change.
    Check out this other thread :
    "The Baltimore Ravens should heavily pursue a new OC and DC for 2014."
    ... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I believe they can use the "post-June 1st" designation on 2 players per year at any time after the start of FA. In other words, they could cut Ngata in March and designate it as post-June 1st, and it would have the same effect as if it were done in June.

I have no idea if that will really happen, but neither Suggs nor Ngata are playing at their contract numbers. Ngata did have a great game last week, but he was miserable last night. I have no idea where his future play lies between those two extremes.
    I believe, based on my memory of the Pollard release situation from last year, that when you make a "post-June 1st designation" on a player, you have to carry his contract and cap space to June 2nd.

Ravor can correct me if I am wrong, but I think I remember him telling us that last year regarding Pollard (and why he stayed on the books despite being released with the designation).

Both Jones are gone. Which sucks because this year Art Jones had a breakout year and Jacolby became a much better receiver.
    Smith should be relatively cheap.
    Monroe for a 1st rounder hasn't set the world on fire and might stay cheap.
    I think We already have our center in Jensen and possibly our RT in Wagner.
    Line has the possibility of being much better next year.

1. Monroe. Likely we keep him-say 75% likely-but if we don;t then we can probably keep a couple of other FAs.
    2. Darryl Smith. Losing him would be a disaster to our ILB group. Hell that group is pretty poor outside of him.
    3. Dennis Pitta. He won't be real expensive but at this point we won't be offering him all that much. This could get dicey.
    4. James Ihedigbo. More of a priority than Jacoby Jones. Unless the team wants to draft a FS early.
    5. Corey Graham. Would like to lock him up for 2-3 years to get the team past the soon to be very difficult Jimmy Smith salary talks.
    SPECIAL BONUS PICKS: Michael Oher and Ed Dickson- get on the re-sign radar if the team loses Monroe or Pitta. Ravens fans freak out.
    6. Jacoby Jones- possibly he will get no real offers. Only way he comes back to us if he's below $2M/year.

Arthur Jones and Terrance Cody- see ya.

Albert McClellan & Josh Bynes . Seems like they will keep one if not both. Depends if they are serious about drafting an ILB this year like Skov or Borland.

Arthur Jones and Jacoby Jones are as good as gone. Both will get offers the Ravens cant match.

I think they will keep Monroe, Smith, Pitta, Graham...Pitta could get sticky if some team decides to put up real money ...will the Ravens match?

I think you let Oher, Dickson, Cody go their merry way for various reason. I think you may let Ihedigbo go also if some other team get the idea he is worth more than he is. If they can get him back their price they should, if not goodbye.

Ngata is not going anywhere. Suggs though I could see at the very least a restructure but it would not stun me if they did cut him if the money is needed to improve the offensive side of the ball (now and future).
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

UFA we shouldn't even bother with- Oher, Jacoby, Graham, Miles, Cody, Clark, Stokley

Daryl Smith and Ihedigbo should be retained if the price is right. Not many safeties in the draft, personally I think safety position is weakest position in this draft class.

Dickson...I absolutely hate him sometimes. In recent weeks he's come around and started catching the ball. If he resigns for vets minimum we should retain him. He's just such a physical beast.

Art Jones we can only hope someone doesn't over pay.

Pitta needs to be retained. I think he's priority number 1.

Monroe hopefully won't be too expensive. I keep flip flopping on his status with the team because I just don't think he's played well enough to garner a top ten LT contract. However, Shipley's horrendous play at LG might be part of Monroe's problem. I see the Ravens resigning him though.

Players to cut- Leach, McClain, AQ, Koch. Gives us 6,520,000 in cap savings. Add that to the 14 million that we'll be under the cap and we have 20.5 million to spend.

Some posters brought up possibly cutting Canty. I think that's a very real possibly. Another couple million in savings. If it's the difference between retaining Art and not, cut Canty. We have a nice young group of defensive lineman.

Now the question of Suggs. If Ravens cut him we gain 7.8 mil in cap room. Honestly I don't want any restructures. I'd rather he just play out his contract year and Oz makes a decision afterwards. Let him hit the market in 2015 and let the market dictate his value. In other threads I've suggested we restructure Suggs, but I've come to realize it just puts you in cap jail.

This years draft is deep at the OL and CB positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Mike won't be back unless he takes a super cheap deal

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    Big Mike won't be back unless he takes a super cheap deal

The only thing Big Mike is good for is popping up during a hard count to draw the defense. Conversely, he's usually good for 2-3 false starts per game, so that is kind of a wash.