Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. Who out of the big 4 free agents will be retained?

I know maybe it's a little premature to think about the off-season but after yesterday it's kind of hard not to look ahead to next year. So I'm looking ahead to our offseason plans.

I know there has been a lot of talk about a possible Suggs or Ngata cut and I guess we'll see soon enough if that's the route we take to save $. Out of our free agents I think it's safe to say Oher and Dickson are gone and Leach is the most obvious cut. I think Arthur Jones is probably out of our price range.

So out of the big 4 free agents we have, how many of them do you think we retain and rank in order of importance?

Eugene Monroe, Jacoby Jones, Daryl Smith, and Dennis Pitta
    Last edited by IBleedPurple2127; 12-23-2013 at 09:21 AM.

2. Re: Who out of the big 4 free agents will be retained?

I'd personally go

1. Eugene Monroe
    2. Dennis Pitta
    3. Daryl Smith
    4. Jacoby Jones

I don't think there is any way we can afford to lose the first 3 players go. Our O-line is going to need a complete make-over next year and I expect Monroe, especially after dealing 2 picks for him, to get a nice extension. Would Pitta really leave his best friend Joe?...we obviously can't afford to take that risk. And Daryl has been so good for us, how can we afford to let him go? I'd hate to see Jacoby go but I think he obviously has the lowest priority of the four. You love the returns but is he really worth the money he may get for a player who doesn't give much on offense?

Blog Entries

Re: Who out of the big 4 free agents will be retained?

Monroe and Pitta will be Ravens in 2014. Hopefully Smith as well but thats pretty much the line. Both Jones are gone.
    -JAB

Top 3 priorities for me would be Monroe, Pitta and Arthur Jones but unfortunately Arthur is going to get big money so his departure is inevitable. I would then seek to retain Daryl Smith. Jacoby might want more than what the Ravens are willing to give him.

Blog Entries

Hopefully all 4.

I don't see Pitta being all that expensive.

Monroe will get paid, but he is pretty necessary IMO.

Jacoby could get some legitimate coin from some other WR-needy team though that has a lot more cap room than us.

I'd like to see Daryl Smith return for another year as well, but who knows if some other team will overpay for his services.

Also, keep in mind that Michael Oher, Art Jones, Corey Graham, Ed Dickson, Dallas Clark, Brandon Stokley, and a few others are also pending free agents.

Out of that group, Art Jones would be the most difficult to replace.

This coming off-season is going to be tough.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

6. Re: Who out of the big 4 free agents will be retained?

The more I think about it the more likely I see Suggs or Ngata getting cut. We need some money to play with...

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IBleedPurple2127 View Post
    I'd personally go

1. Eugene Monroe
    2. Dennis Pitta
    3. Daryl Smith
    4. Jacoby Jones

I don't think there is any way we can afford to lose the first 3 players go. Our O-line is going to need a complete make-over next year and I expect Monroe, especially after dealing 2 picks for him, to get a nice extension. Would Pitta really leave his best friend Joe?...we obviously can't afford to take that risk. And Daryl has been so good for us, how can we afford to let him go? I'd hate to see Jacoby go but I think he obviously has the lowest priority of the four. You love the returns but is he really worth the money he may get for a player who doesn't give much on offense?
    Sure..... if enough guys named Benjamin and Ullysses and Andrew etc want to be his friend. ;)

But no I agree with the ranking. We can't give up 2 important picks for Monroe only to see him walk.

I'd like to keep Pitta but will he adjust his demands coming off an injury riddled year? And if not would that fly with Oz? It would suck if the Pats or someone swooped in and got him on a reasonable deal (and with their TE problems is that so far fetched?)

Smith has been a real find but even at his age I could definitely see some team making a ridiculous offer which we can't or won't match.

JJ is the lowest priority of those 4 but hes shown me something over the last few games..... its a realitively SSS but I can't remember a time hes looked so sure handed over an extended stretch. But when you factor in that and his ST contributions he might well have priced himself out of our range too.

As long as we get Monroe locked up Im cool with w/e happens with the other three although I'd really like Pitta back as well on a fair deal.
    They hate us..... but they want to BE us. (.... or at least poach all our players/coaches/FO people!) :respect

Blog Entries

It has been said plenty but Ngata is going anywhere. They would only save 1 million by cutting him. June 1st designation would save a little more but that is not available until June. All those guys will be off the market.

Suggs is in a slump right now but I don't think the Ravens are going to completely cut bait. Look how long they have a declining Ed Reed, who had big cap numbers. One thing is for sure if Joe Flacco doesnt become the QB that he was during the playoff run, it really doesn't matter. He has to carry the team on a more consistent basis.

Blog Entries

The more I think about it the more likely I see Suggs or Ngata getting cut. We need some money to play with...
    I think the cap hits would prevent that from happening in 2014... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    It has been said plenty but Ngata is going anywhere. They would only save 1 million by cutting him. June 1st designation would save a little more but that is not available until June. All those guys will be off the market.

Suggs is in a slump right now but I don't think the Ravens are going to completely cut bait. Look how long they have a declining Ed Reed, who had big cap numbers. One thing is for sure if Joe Flacco doesnt become the QB that he was during the playoff run, it really doesn't matter. He has to carry the team on a more consistent basis.
    I believe they can use the "post-June 1st" designation on 2 players per year at any time after the start of FA. In other words, they could cut Ngata in March and designate it as post-June 1st, and it would have the same effect as if it were done in June.

I have no idea if that will really happen, but neither Suggs nor Ngata are playing at their contract numbers. Ngata did have a great game last week, but he was miserable last night. I have no idea where his future play lies between those two extremes.

I think Suggs they will restructure although I wouldn't, Pitta and D Smith they can afford to keep and sign Monroe. JJ will want a lot more than we can offer and there are a lot of teams with a lot of cap space that will take him and his price. Leach, A Jones will be gone.

Doesn't make sense with Ngata. We're still paying a years worth of salary for him to play for someone else whether we eat it in 1 year or split it over 2.