Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: FG attempt down 20-0 --- Harbs actually said ....

Quote Originally Posted by helloharv View Post
    Then how in the world did it happen? That was Harbs call only or does ST coach have input or Ast Head Coach or OC?

If I were on the sideline as a player or coach at that moment, I may have knocked Harbs over and pulled out his red flag and thrown it on the Field to stop play---- and then MAYBE he would realize what a bone headed idea that was!
    I am befuddled. Just like I was confused by that 3rd and 1 play call when you knew you were going for it on 4th down anyway. Just like I was confused by the ridiculous run to start the 4th quarter. They don't always make sense.

They were down by 20 points. A FG still puts you in a position of having to score 3 touchdowns with time dwindling. It made no sense except if you were just trying to stave off the shut out.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    You mean to tell me you've never head a coach deflect questions?!?!

Come on.
    Have you EVER heard a coach say those exact words about a huge/game changing play that HE CALLED ---- and that coach says --- I will have to think about WHY I decided to do that and let you know tomorrow ?????

Blog Entries

no way that can be it
    I'd bet anything it is. No other logical explanation for it.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Have you EVER heard a coach say those exact words about a huge/game changing play that HE CALLED ---- and that coach says --- I will have to think about WHY I decided to do that and let you know tomorrow ?????
    Yeah, I know.

But you repeating it doesn't make it more meaningful.

Harbs is cut from the same cloth as Belichick. He's not going to give you anything at a presser. And he's going to say anything during a presser to get the heat off.

It's been that way for five years now.

Honestly -- I would love to hear,maybe I am missing something---

Can Anyone give me a good reason why we should have attempted a FG down 3 scores with 10 min left?
    Yes, kind of.

The offense gave absolutely no inclination that they could execute on any down, let alone fourth and in the redzone.

As such, Harbaugh figured that instead of throwing away the series on an incompletion and the score still being 20-0, it would be more prudent to log an 'automatic' three points.

With the score at a presumedly assured 20-3 and a full quarter left to go, the Ravens would get at least three more tries, and only need 2 touchdowns and 1 field goal, rather than needing 3 touchdowns had they failed on fourth down and the score remained at 20-0.

As it turned out, the Ravens had five more offensive drives following the missed FG.

Warning - conjecture: When the Ravens scored a touchdown, the score was 20-7. If Tucker had made the aforementioned FG, it would have been 20-10. At 20-10, the Ravens only would have needed 1 touchdown and 1 field goal to tie. Alternatively, and to rewind to the play/missed field goal in question, had Harbaugh gone for the TD rather than the FG on fourth down, and the Ravens had failed to convert, then the Ravens would have needed 2 touchdowns after their first touchdown, rather than 1 touchdown and 1 field goal after their first touchdown had Tucker made the FG.

I'm not saying that I agree, but I hope this makes sense.

Harbaugh is generally (though not this past week) great at motivating his team, getting them ready to go, solving locker room situations, etc... all the before-game-day head coach type stuff.

But when game day comes along, he is a massive liability. He has an incredibly low football IQ, doesn't understand the game, makes horrible clock-management/game management calls, and just generally can't handle the game-day responsibilities of a head coach.

I'm not saying he's a bad HC, but it is what it is. Andy Reid is also one of the worst game-day head coaches in the league (which maybe explains all of Harbaugh's foibles since he learned at Reid's feet.) Reid has been very, very successful, so those limitations can be overcome, but I'm not sure how Harbaugh does it. Until he can start outcoaching the other guy on game days, John Harbaugh will never be an elite head coach, even if he's a very good one.

The field goal was an infantile decision. Stupid, super-low football IQ, and obviously done for no reason other than preventing a shutout. Craven and inexcusable.

Blog Entries

What kills me in bringing in Rice on 4th n 1 when pierce is clearly better in short yardage lol rice is done book it dumb ass coaching staff.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wieters View Post
    Yes, kind of.

The offense gave absolutely no inclination that they could execute on any down, let alone fourth and in the redzone.

As such, Harbaugh figured that instead of throwing away the series on an incompletion and the score still being 20-0, it would be more prudent to log an 'automatic' three points.

With the score at a presumedly assured 20-3 and a full quarter left to go, the Ravens would get at least three more tries, and only need 2 touchdowns and 1 field goal, rather than needing 3 touchdowns had they failed on fourth down and the score remained at 20-0.

As it turned out, the Ravens had five more offensive drives following the missed FG.

Warning - conjecture: When the Ravens scored a touchdown, the score was 20-7. If Tucker had made the aforementioned FG, it would have been 20-10. At 20-10, the Ravens only would have needed 1 touchdown and 1 field goal to tie. Alternatively, and to rewind to the play/missed field goal in question, had Harbaugh gone for the TD rather than the FG on fourth down, and the Ravens had failed to convert, then the Ravens would have needed 2 touchdowns after their first touchdown, rather than 1 touchdown and 1 field goal after their first touchdown had Tucker made the FG.

I'm not saying that I agree, but I hope this makes sense.
    I think this is pretty much it. The only possible thought process is "somehow" grab 2 TDs (we had almost the full quarter left) and that at the end we could have just enough time to get into range for a tying FG.

Slightly better odds, maybe ( I don't know...), than going for it and still needing 3 TDs. Maybe.

Blog Entries

Honestly -- I would love to hear,maybe I am missing something---

Can Anyone give me a good reason why we should have attempted a FG down 3 scores with 10 min left?
    To get the goose egg off the scoreboard. Simple as that

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    I think this is pretty much it. The only possible thought process is "somehow" grab 2 TDs (we had almost the full quarter left) and that at the end we could have just enough time to get into range for a tying FG.

Slightly better odds, maybe ( I don't know...), than going for it and still needing 3 TDs. Maybe.
    I get it. But, in that case, why go for it on the preceeding 4th and 1 (which we didn't get) or the 4th and 3 (which we also didn't get)?

The argument will be made - because we didn't get those makeable 4th downs. I think once you are committed to the 4th down strategy, you have to stay with it.

In any event, we played a real playoff team yesterday and we will play a real one next week. Goong 0-2 in those games will tell us all we need to know. If we miss the playoffs by losing both games, you know we likely would have been one and done.

Now watch us lose a valiant heartbreaker or win and then have both Miami and SD win as well. That would be the worst outcome.

He regrets it now. Something about the "flow of the game". Bullshit at it's finest!

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,1039964.story

Quote Originally Posted by SNAFU View Post
    He regrets it now. Something about the "flow of the game". Bullshit at it's finest!

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,1039964.story
    I like to see this HC Man Up just once for all the mismanagements he made during the game.