Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dennis Pitta

Dennis Pitta

Given the fact that he's 28, played only 25% of the season, and will probably finish with less than 200 yards it doesn't look like he'll see too many suitors in free agency. Think he could come back cheaper than expected? Cause I don't see any leverage for him.

Blog Entries

Re: Dennis Pitta

Hard to say what his market will be. It all depends on if he is interested in only money, or winning and money. You would think his relationship with Joe and his history would be appealing to him to stay.

If anyone were to give a "hometown" discount, I'd guess Pitta.

Blog Entries

Most teams will disregard this season because of the injury. Not his fault he couldn't put up numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    Given the fact that he's 28, played only 25% of the season, and will probably finish with less than 200 yards it doesn't look like he'll see too many suitors in free agency. Think he could come back cheaper than expected? Cause I don't see any leverage for him.
    That's quite possible. One of the problems the Ravens have at TE, is that Ed Dickson did not live up to his 3rd round status. If he had, the team would have more leverage with Pitta, but as of now there really aren't any TE prospects on our roster. Furstenberg is an UDFA who spent the entire season on the Practice Squad, and (if I'm not mistaken) had recent surgery. IMO Dickson won't be a Raven in 2014, so that leaves resigning Pitta (which I believe will happen) and/or drafting a TE and/or signing another veteran TE... Bc

Blog Entries

Don't be so sure about Dickson. Clark has barely seen the field, if at all, since Pitta's return. Dickson is in on a lot of plays. This year's TE draft class is weak -- there's maybe 2 guys you might want. One has never played a pro style offense (Amaro) and the other is more athlete than football player and is terribly inconsistent (Ebron). After that it's the usual roster-filler/practice squad flotsam and jetsam. And with no 4th/5th round pick to try and grab a "value" tight end, ... and with all the holes on the O line that need to be addressed via draft or FA... well.... don't run right out to bet the farm on Dickson being gone. It's not that he's so great, it's that there is no clear replacement.

I would even go so far as to add that a guy like Ebron -- touted as a first rounder -- has the exact same scouting report there was on Dickson coming out. Anybody feeling lucky? I'm not.

As for Pitta, I'd have to see what the free agent tight end market has looked like in the past. He could easily be looked at as a guy with a good rapport with Flacco, rather than a guy who can fit in anywhere. He's not much of a blocker, and a lot of teams already have receiving TE's. We are actually one of the teams that got behind the curve in terms of the TE position. A guy like Pitta is the piece of the puzzle most teams already have covered.
    Last edited by NC Raven; 12-24-2013 at 02:37 PM.

I could see using the franchise tag on Pitta if they can't get a cap friendly deal done during the off season. He will be back. As many of have said there may not be a huge market for a TE who has missed most of 2013.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

He was a big part of our SB run and is consistant with good hands. Someone would love to have him. Starting in PITT.

I might be in the minority on this one but I believe the team will be able to name their price for Pitta. I doubt there will be much interest, if any, around the league.

He has absolutely no leverage and will be 29 years old in June 2014. I like him a lot, but he's not a dominant player at his position and his chemistry with Flacco has been a huge part of what he's done in his career thus far. That makes his value lower to everyone but the Ravens.

I see one of two things happening: either Pitta signs a Brandon Myers type deal (4 years/14m) with the Ravens, or he signs a 1 year minimum deal with the Ravens to try to re-establish his value next year. Either way, I doubt he's not in purple and black next year.

Pittsburgh has their own safety blanket at the TE position.

The question is if he comes back cheap would that help resign free agents like say Daryl/Arthur/Jacoby?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    Don't be so sure about Dickson. Clark has barely seen the field, if at all, since Pitta's return. Dickson is in on a lot of plays. This year's TE draft class is weak -- there's maybe 2 guys you might want. One has never played a pro style offense (Amaro) and the other is more athlete than football player and is terribly inconsistent (Ebron). After that it's the usual roster-filler/practice squad flotsam and jetsam. And with no 4th/5th round pick to try and grab a "value" tight end, ... and with all the holes on the O line that need to be addressed via draft or FA... well.... don't run right out to bet the farm on Dickson being gone. It's not that he's so great, it's that there is no clear replacement...
    While you make several good points, Dickson is a frustrating talent. When Pitta went down, he was supposed to pick up the slack, but dreadfully failed to do so. Ed has 25 rec's / 253 yards (10.9 avg) / 1 TD... with his main competition being the 34 year old Dallas Clark. The only way I can see him staying in Baltimore is for the veteran minimum, and that's only if no other TEs are added to the roster... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I might be in the minority on this one but I believe the team will be able to name their price for Pitta. I doubt there will be much interest, if any, around the league.

He has absolutely no leverage and will be 29 years old in June 2014. I like him a lot, but he's not a dominant player at his position and his chemistry with Flacco has been a huge part of what he's done in his career thus far. That makes his value lower to everyone but the Ravens.

I see one of two things happening: either Pitta signs a Brandon Myers type deal (4 years/14m) with the Ravens, or he signs a 1 year minimum deal with the Ravens to try to re-establish his value next year. Either way, I doubt he's not in purple and black next year.
    I tend to agree. He's a good player, not seen by many as a great player IMO.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!