Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Ron Winter overrules himself.. twice?!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    This.

To even hint at bad officiating is whistling past the graveyard.

This team is flat out bad.
    Pretty much everyone has said it didn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but the refereeing was abysmal.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    Perhaps I missed the explanation from the refs when they initially called Defensive holding on the play Brady was sacked.....Anybody hear who they were going to say was holding?
    The explanation was that it wasn't holding because Brady was sacked. So the only thing that could make any sense there is that the hold occurred after he was hit, or on the ground. But naturally, they don't SAY that, so we're left to guess/interpret what the heck happened there.

Can't recall the last time I've seen two penalties marked off, then changed. Both of those benefited the Ravens, but that crap was replacement-ref-worthy. Really hope we don't see that crew again -- the constant, lengthy meetings and continual sense of confusion detracts from the entertainment value (such as it was....) of the game. Can you imagine them doing that in a big game, late in the 4th quarter on national TV? God forbid one of these was in overtime or something yesterday -- and even moreso had it gone against the Ravens in that situation. I cannot imagine what this board (and the Baltimore sports media) would be like today.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvo View Post
    he's old and borderline senile. he should retire.
    They pay these fools over 150,000 to officiate 20 or so games a year. They constantly made bad calls. This group is the worst. A phantom holding call by the Ravens that eventually is corrected, a phantom offside by Oher that is corrected to a defensive offside. A call where Harbaugh has to challenge Pittas reception even though the freaking ref is in the perfect position to make the call. Even with all that the Ravens just played terrible on offense. When Tucker misses a relatively easy field goal I knew it was not our day!!!!

This.

Huh? This thread had nothing to do with the way the Ravens played nor did it insinuate that a better crew would have saved our pathetic effort.

My post was strictly about Winter's crew overturning their own calls. Something you rarely see once in a game let alone twice.

Quote Originally Posted by JonAB View Post
    Then it's a good thing that this thread has absolutely nothing to do with the refs being the cause of the Ravens being horrible. It is simply about how inept the officiating was, for both sides I might add. This crew needs to go, this isn't their first disaster.
    This ^

Some mods have to post on every thread and act like they are mind readers.

Just gonna call a spade a spade (and probably get killed for telling the truth) but Winter's crew hates the Ravens. I knew we were in for trouble when I heard mid-week that he was doing the game. Every call/reverse call was a test case to find out what they believed they could get away with to screw the Ravens. The defensive holding call? Thrown immediately once it was obvious Brady was gonna be sacked on a huge third down. Winters didn't even give a number for the call ("Holding, defense, 10 yard penalty, automatic first down."). After realizing the rig was a little too obvious, he picked up the flag.

Mike Pereira's tweets on the play:

"I'm trying to figure out the 'defensive hold' on the Ravens sack as well...I have no idea what that means."-Pereira

30 seconds later...

"I've looked and looked and looked- I have no idea what they called in NE (sic- meant to say BAL) or why they picked it up. I'm 0-2. Makes no sense."- Pereira

Then you had the Oher "false start" on a play where the defender jumps two yards offsides...Later overturned when they realized how ridiculous it would look.

Then you had the blatant PI against Torrey Smith...thrown about five seconds after the penalty was committed and ONLY once Smith had secured the catch and the ref realized he could throw the penalty while not helping the Ravens and attempt to save face about not playing favorites.

Then you have the ticky tack PI calls against the Ravens, notably the Jimmy Smith penalty (Harbaugh: I can't comment on the officiating without getting fined; Hensley: Is there anything you can tell Jimmy to do differently on that play? Harbaugh: No) and Lardarius Webb penalty (illegal contact), meanwhile every single replay showed the Ravens getting mugged (notably Pitta).

Let's also not forget that this is FAR from the first time Winters has done this to the Ravens. He's the same guy who Brady pointed to after MAYBE getting barely touched in the leg, Winters NODS and then throws a flag in a close game we ultimately lost (after which the Ravens unloaded on the refs). Oh, and he was also the ref that allowed Roddy White to shove Josh Wilson to the ground, in broad daylight, on the game winning TD for the Falcons (did I mention that Winters's crew calls more PI calls than any in the league?). Ross Tucker tweeted after the game that yesterday was "The worst officiated game I've ever seen." I wouldn't even put it in Winters's top two worst Ravens games (obligatory disclaimer: It's not why we lost).

The Jimmy Smith PI was the 1st. The player runs into him, turns and falls down. The End zone ref signals incomplete and the side ref throws the flag. That guy was the point of many of the bad calls. On the early long throw to Torrey Smith it looked like the safety got there early. He still should have held on to it.

Quote Originally Posted by stevez51 View Post
    The Jimmy Smith PI was the 1st. The player runs into him, turns and falls down. The End zone ref signals incomplete and the side ref throws the flag. That guy was the point of many of the bad calls. On the early long throw to Torrey Smith it looked like the safety got there early. He still should have held on to it.
    1- as soon as I saw Ron Winters face on the jumbo screen, I said UT-OH! This officiating crew definitely put the Ravens behind the eight ball with those two early penalties! Sideline judge #97 was terrible and that's being kind!
    2- as bad as the officiating was, the Ravens' play calling by offensive and defensive coordinators and head coach was equally as bad!
    3-Joe's performance reminded me of last season's Denver game... Not the playoff one but the home game where Denver embarrassed the Ravens!

That sideline ref missed everything his way. The PI, the Pitta catch, etc.... Was he the one who called Oher for the offsides..???

This.

Huh? Wrong thread?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ccoolahan14 View Post
    Just gonna call a spade a spade (and probably get killed for telling the truth) but Winter's crew hates the Ravens. I knew we were in for trouble when I heard mid-week that he was doing the game. Every call/reverse call was a test case to find out what they believed they could get away with to screw the Ravens. The defensive holding call? Thrown immediately once it was obvious Brady was gonna be sacked on a huge third down. Winters didn't even give a number for the call ("Holding, defense, 10 yard penalty, automatic first down."). After realizing the rig was a little too obvious, he picked up the flag.

Mike Pereira's tweets on the play:

"I'm trying to figure out the 'defensive hold' on the Ravens sack as well...I have no idea what that means."-Pereira

30 seconds later...

"I've looked and looked and looked- I have no idea what they called in NE (sic- meant to say BAL) or why they picked it up. I'm 0-2. Makes no sense."- Pereira

Then you had the Oher "false start" on a play where the defender jumps two yards offsides...Later overturned when they realized how ridiculous it would look.

Then you had the blatant PI against Torrey Smith...thrown about five seconds after the penalty was committed and ONLY once Smith had secured the catch and the ref realized he could throw the penalty while not helping the Ravens and attempt to save face about not playing favorites.

Then you have the ticky tack PI calls against the Ravens, notably the Jimmy Smith penalty (Harbaugh: I can't comment on the officiating without getting fined; Hensley: Is there anything you can tell Jimmy to do differently on that play? Harbaugh: No) and Lardarius Webb penalty (illegal contact), meanwhile every single replay showed the Ravens getting mugged (notably Pitta).

Let's also not forget that this is FAR from the first time Winters has done this to the Ravens. He's the same guy who Brady pointed to after MAYBE getting barely touched in the leg, Winters NODS and then throws a flag in a close game we ultimately lost (after which the Ravens unloaded on the refs). Oh, and he was also the ref that allowed Roddy White to shove Josh Wilson to the ground, in broad daylight, on the game winning TD for the Falcons (did I mention that Winters's crew calls more PI calls than any in the league?). Ross Tucker tweeted after the game that yesterday was "The worst officiated game I've ever seen." I wouldn't even put it in Winters's top two worst Ravens games (obligatory disclaimer: It's not why we lost).
    I dont know if he REALLY has it out for the Ravens but we do have an unfavorable history with him. It was also Ron Winter that gave Holmes a TD in Baltimore, a play that decided the division. That TD had been ruled short of the goal line and Winters went and overruled it during a replay. To this day I dont see the indisputable evidence that the ball crossed the goal line.
    Thus the call should have stood giving the Ravens D a shot at a 4th down stop to maybe seal the game.

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    A billion dollar league with so much at stake for all fans every week needs full time refs. It seems everything about the game has changed except for the refs. It was painful to watch old man Winter run across the field today to the replay booth.
    I officiate High School and youth football here in Frederick and we actually had one of the side judges from Ed Hochuli's crew at our banquet and that exact question came up and his response was very interesting and surprising. He said that he believes that a large percentage, maybe even half of the officials would quit because their full time jobs are where they make their money. They are doctors, dentists and lawyers for the most part.