Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: The Ravens organization is stuck in the past.

And my point is that you aren't always going to have more talent than the other team. Honestly, you're rarely going to have more talent than the other team. The talent level in the NFL is too close for somebody to be so dependent on having such dominating talent. Even if you have it, what happens when one of those pieces goes down, just like we saw this year? The system really doesn't have the best answers for that. If it did, everybody would be using it, but it doesn't.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

2. Re: The Ravens organization is stuck in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Was there a great receiver on the market this past year that they should have signed? Wallace? Welker? Amendola? Jennings? Trade for Harvin? I didn't want any of those guys and not 1 of them earned what they were paid. I wouldn't mind signing a true #1 receiver but I sure didn't see one hit the market last year.
    Should have traded up a couple spots and landed Patterson. Look at what hes doing with journeymen QB. Imagine Joe throwing his deep ball to him. Unfortunate mistake by Ozzie.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    And my point is that you aren't always going to have more talent than the other team. Honestly, you're rarely going to have more talent than the other team. The talent level in the NFL is too close for somebody to be so dependent on having such dominating talent. Even if you have it, what happens when one of those pieces goes down, just like we saw this year? The system really doesn't have the best answers for that. If it did, everybody would be using it, but it doesn't.
    Well, I mean, that's true of any system for the most part. It's not like the Patriots offense has lit the world on fire without Gronk this season either, and they're pretty much the pinnacle of scheming anonymous receivers open.

But yeah, I don't disagree with you. I tend to think the basic philosophy of QB + O-Line + Defense is the most efficient way of building a good football team, and that avoiding spending big sums of cash on RB/WR/TE is preferable. But you can't do that with the offensive system the Ravens have run with Harbaugh.

Blog Entries

I know everyone is frustrated by the devastating loss to the Pats, and our team is probably playing under it's talent level, but let's take a deep breath and :
    (1) 5 consecutive seasons of playoffs.
    (2) 2011 - a dropped pass from a Super Bowl appearance.
    (3) 2012 - made it to/won the Super Bowl.
    How many teams would like to be "stuck in the past" as ours? ... Bc

The organization that's stuck in the past is also stuck with 2 SB rings. Let's not forget that for all the starting QBs we had before Joe arrived. Ozzie finally realized that in a pass happy QB driven league you had to have a franchise QB to win championships. Our front office has the ability to adapt and I trust that after this maddeningly frustrating season from our offense we'll continue to adapt and get better whether via the draft, a change in offensive philosophy or change in coaching. Let's see how this plays out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleApocalypse37 View Post
    Yes, clearly.

They only won the Super Bowl last year because Joe Flacco had the second greatest playoffs in NFL history.

He had 13 touchdowns and 0 interceptions in the last 5 games of the season - Giants, Colts, Broncos, Patriots, 49ers.

That 5 game stretch is the only time during Flacco's entire career playing in a modern NFL offense.

Then they scrapped it.
    But explain to me, how are they stuck in the past? Can you give a a few specifics?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brien Jackson View Post
    Well, I mean, that's true of any system for the most part. It's not like the Patriots offense has lit the world on fire without Gronk this season either, and they're pretty much the pinnacle of scheming anonymous receivers open.

But yeah, I don't disagree with you. I tend to think the basic philosophy of QB + O-Line + Defense is the most efficient way of building a good football team, and that avoiding spending big sums of cash on RB/WR/TE is preferable. But you can't do that with the offensive system the Ravens have run with Harbaugh.
    Therein lies our issue.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    But explain to me, how are they stuck in the past? Can you give a a few specifics?
    Um...we have. Namely: the offensive system is outdated and Ozzie is building defenses for the previous decade.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I know everyone is frustrated by the devastating loss to the Pats, and our team is probably playing under it's talent level, but let's take a deep breath and :
    (1) 5 consecutive seasons of playoffs.
    (2) 2011 - a dropped pass from a Super Bowl appearance.
    (3) 2012 - made it to/won the Super Bowl.
    How many teams would like to be "stuck in the past" as ours? ... Bc
    This is very true.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brien Jackson View Post
    Um...we have. Namely: the offensive system is outdated and Ozzie is building defenses for the previous decade.
    We've been through this. They are running the pistol a lot which is fairly new in the NFL. They signed a franchise QB in this QB driven league. They've all but fazed out the fullback position this year to go with a passing game.

The defense has two very good corners and two #1 picks in the secondary which is where a team these days needs to build to counter the pass happy league. They drafted a linebacker in Arthur Brown who is supposed to excel in pass coverage. They signed Dumerville to get after the QB with Suggs, again in this pass happy league.

Not to mention all the success this team has had since Harbaugh arrived including most recently a Super Bowl. They still have a winning record this year.

If you said this team needs to improve in several areas to get back to the Super Bowl I would agree with you. But to say they are stuck in the past is just wrong. Nothing about this team says to me they are stuck in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    We've been through this. They are running the pistol a lot which is fairly new in the NFL. They signed a franchise QB in this QB driven league. They've all but fazed out the fullback position this year to go with a passing game.
    This is window dressing, at best.

The defense has two very good corners and two #1 picks in the secondary which is where a team these days needs to build to counter the pass happy league.
    Which is fine...but they're totally lacking in interior pass rushers, and it's clear that Ozzie doesn't prioritize those kinds of players at all. That kills them in medium yardage situations when they need to be able to dial up a stunt to get quick pressure in the QB's face.

Blog Entries

I don't think wanting a power running game is an indication that the Ravens are stuck in the past. It is true that defense no longer wins championships. You can win a Super Bowl with an average defense, but you have to have an offense that can score 25-30 points/game on a consistent basis. The Ravens have to get back to being able to run the ball, which to me means addressing the OL talent and OL coaching in a big way in the off-season. Flacco is at his best when he can utilize play action, and throws around 30 passes per game. If the Ravens devise an offense that has Flacco throwing 40-50 passes per game, IMO Flacco and the Ravens offense will struggle. They will have multiple turnovers, and will not be efficient. They need to have a balanced attack. I would also like them to greatly expand their short passing game, using many more variations of screen passes and slants.