Page 1 of 13 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

The Ravens organization is stuck in the past.

Baltimore is the only organization that gets a Super Bowl MVP Caliber QB and, rather than use the majority of their resources to build an offensive system around him and try to make him the most deadly weapon in the game, stubbornly continues to put more resources in the rush offense and the defense. Yet, they wonder why the offense continues to struggle.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Re: The Ravens organization is stuck in the past.

So many plays today I see Gino and AQ literally not blocking ANYONE. Okay AQ should have been a back up and he shouldn't be playing. But on the flip side so many good teams have lost offensive linemen and kept it together. Our contingency plan was exposed this season because frankly we don't have one.

Yay we have Suggs and Ngata and this defensive player and that defensive player. NE with a rag tag bunch of defenders plus some key guys (Jones, Hightower) make our offense look archaic.

Talk about beating a dead horse.......LOL

The AC has to go. Period.

Blog Entries

What part of, "It's a Quarterback driven league", do they not understand. You know the best way to make the playoffs consistently? Let your QB take advantage of the crappy defenses during the regular season, pad the team record and get in easier than the Ravens seem to make it.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

We need a new OC bottom line, not a retread from the NFL but a young hot college coach who can energize the offense. Caldwell is not very good. LAst year during the playoffs when he wanted the job he was serviceable but know ..no so much

7. Re: The Ravens organization is stuck in the past.

B-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but Schembechler!!!
    Don't you see?!...

DON'T YOU SEE?!!

Blog Entries

That's what people are figuring out. JOE MONTANA TYPE RUN. Without that, they don't have a Super Bowl Championship. Yet, that is used to declare that the system is working. Joe's ridiculous ability to convert second and long, and third and long, is an indictment of his superior skill, which isn't being fully taken advantage of, not the system.

It would be one thing if we were talking about how Joe has all day to throw. Or how he constantly has open WRs. Or how he constantly has WRs bailing him out of bad throws. Or if we even remotely discussed those things consistently. Then, I could agree that the system is a success. However, Greg Cosell, Ron Jaworski, they've both talked about how this system has put so much strain on Joe to make pinpoint throws, compared to other systems (WC variation in New England, WC with vertical elements in Green Bay, Quick passing system in Denver), where QBs have more easier throws at their disposal.

To be honest, their entire organizational approach to offense is really weird. If they're going to continue running the vertical, Schembecler-esque offense that Harbaugh seems to want them to run, they have to invest in good receivers, particularly big physical ones who can body up defensive backs and win one-on-one match ups. But it's pretty clear that Ozzie isn't interested in devoting those kind of resources to the WR position. This is an impossible impasse, and it's just not going to get resolved unless something gives.

Defensively, I'd like to see them stop putting so much emphasis on big defensive linemen who stop the run first, and get some more athletic guys who can rush the passer and stunt.

Blog Entries

Was there a great receiver on the market this past year that they should have signed? Wallace? Welker? Amendola? Jennings? Trade for Harvin? I didn't want any of those guys and not 1 of them earned what they were paid. I wouldn't mind signing a true #1 receiver but I sure didn't see one hit the market last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Brien Jackson View Post
    To be honest, their entire organizational approach to offense is really weird. If they're going to continue running the vertical, Schembecler-esque offense that Harbaugh seems to want them to run, they have to invest in good receivers, particularly big physical ones who can body up defensive backs and win one-on-one match ups. But it's pretty clear that Ozzie isn't interested in devoting those kind of resources to the WR position. This is an impossible impasse, and it's just not going to get resolved unless something gives.

Defensively, I'd like to see them stop putting so much emphasis on big defensive linemen who stop the run first, and get some more athletic guys who can rush the passer and stunt.
    Smart man...especially the second point that many times goes unnoticed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Was there a great receiver on the market this past year that they should have signed? Wallace? Welker? Amendola? Jennings? Trade for Harvin? I didn't want any of those guys and not 1 of them earned what they were paid. I wouldn't mind signing a true #1 receiver but I sure didn't see one hit the market last year.
    They've drafted one receiver in the first three rounds in the last...well basically as long as I can remember.

And to be clear, I'm not necessarily criticizing them for this. A philosophy of "QB+O-Line+Defense=Superbowl contender" is a perfectly sound one. You just can't then coach the team like you've Calvin Johnson and Dez Bryant out there.