Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: I hope we miss that playoffs.

I'd rather miss the playoffs. It might put us into position to get a top OL prospect, TE or WR if they somehow drop. A real Ravens fans cares more about the future, re-tooling the roster, being good over the long-term, then keeping a streak alive with this seriously flawed team.

I could see this team contending next year if they get a vet FA center and another receiving threat (TE or WR).

Let me say this. I could never root against the Ravens, but IF them missing the playoffs this year would GUARANTEE this team would make the changes they need to make to become better, I could get behind it. The reality is that you can talk all you want about 5 straight playoffs and a SB win, the Ravens need to change. They don't have 2 HOF players on defense anymore and there's no guarantee they'll ever get more. They no longer have a Pro Bowl running game. What they DO have is a franchise QB who can take over a game when he's well protected, can establish a rhythm, and can get some open receivers. They need to build around the elements they HAVE instead of the elements they WISH THEY HAD.

But here's the problem. The OP is incorrect. Missing the playoffs will NOT make any changes to this team. It will be chalked up as a Super Bowl hangover, coupled with losing too many key players and whiffing on too many offseason acquisitions. They will enter 2014 with the same coordinators and the same schemes. I don't see ANY reason to think that anything will change at this point. It'll be more soft zones and run-run-pass-punt next year. That's depressing, but it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by GaTechRavens View Post
    Once again, that makes no sense. Success this season isn't going to hinder success in future seasons. And don't give me that draft position bullcrap, it's just a couple of spots.

Either you root for us to make the playoffs or you're not a real fan. No way around it.
    1. Stop putting words in my mouth I said nothing about the draft. I clearly stated my concern with how management might view a season where we make the playoffs vs a season where we don't at all.

2. Thank god I don't live in your world of absolutes..

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It's not like the won 3 games. Let's say the Ravens end up 8-8. They'll call it a Super Bowl hangover and move on. It's not going to change the thought process into the offseason. The difference between 8-8 and 10-6 just isn't that great. They won't blow up the team because of that.
    I feel like I'm repeating myself with each post. Never did I indicate that the team needs to be blown up. However I full believe these team needs changes in terms of offensive and defensive philosophy. I actually think this is less a personal direction issue and more a OC/DC direction issue.

I will never root for the Ravens to lose. And if they have a shot at the playoffs, I hope they get in. But that is just my personal opinion.

Blog Entries

I don't understand any Raven fan who wouldn't want them to make the playoffs, even if it's backing in. It has nothing to do with future years. Kind of like some on here hoping we would lose last year so Cam would get fired. Loser mentality IMO

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    I will never root for the Ravens to lose. And if they have a shot at the playoffs, I hope they get in. But that is just my personal opinion.
    That's cool and maybe I should make a distinction that I haven't yet.

I'm not going to be sitting here next Sunday actively hoping we lose to the Bengals(a la cheering for Cincy), can't stand the rest of the AFC North. Will I be happy with a win? Yeah cause if nothing else it'll be nice to erase the stench of this weeks droppings.

However if we do lose I'm not going to be as upset as I about yesterday's loss. As I've stated I think this team needs some management shaking up and I feel like they'd be less likely to do that if we get in and go one and done vs missing completely. Harbaugh sucks at clock management and makes other occasionally goofy decisions but I don't really lay the problems at his feet. I do however lay the problems on offense at the Caldwell's feet and the defensive problems at Pees' feet...

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I don't understand any Raven fan who wouldn't want them to make the playoffs, even if it's backing in. It has nothing to do with future years. Kind of like some on here hoping we would lose last year so Cam would get fired. Loser mentality IMO
    I do not think we would have won the SB if Cam was still the OC. I don't think we would have even GOTTEN there with him still in place. I'm assuming you do?

What did it take to get Cam fired?

EDIT:

Tony's article has some bullet points at the end that stick out to me:

http://russellstreetreport.com/a-holiday-embarrassment/

An offensive coordinator that simply refused to exploit the middle of the field and who regularly emptied the backfield on third and fourth and short with a gimpy quarterback while facing said 31st ranked rushing defense

A defensive coordinator frightened by Tom Brady’s reputation, tucking his tail and refusing to challenge him even without Rob Gronkowski and receivers that aren’t long ball threats

And while yes he points out Harbaugh's goofs I still think the above two bullet points are bigger problems than anything else going on.
    Last edited by DarienA; 12-23-2013 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    I'd rather miss the playoffs. It might put us into position to get a top OL prospect, TE or WR if they somehow drop. A real Ravens fans cares more about the future, re-tooling the roster, being good over the long-term, then keeping a streak alive with this seriously flawed team.

I could see this team contending next year if they get a vet FA center and another receiving threat (TE or WR).
    So a real ravens could care less about the present but care more for the future? What a ridiculous statement. LOL. Okay. We fans care about the present and future.
    If the ravens were to get in and be one and done they might end up with the 25th pick but if they lose next week and get eliminated from the playoffs they might end up with the 18th or 19th pick. You honestly think this difference is a deal breaker?
    This logic that it's better for the Ravens to lose to gain better draft positioning is mind boggling.

Quote Originally Posted by DarienA View Post
    I do not think we would have won the SB if Cam was still the OC. I don't think we would have even GOTTEN there with him still in place. I'm assuming you do?

What did it take to get Cam fired?
    In 2012, if Lee Evans had held on to the pass, we would have gone to the Super Bowl with Cam Cameron as our OC. You contend that we could not go to the Super Bowl with Cam Cameron as our OC.

Ergo, Cam Cameron was the reason Lee Evans did not catch the pass. I'd be interested to know the physics behind that cause/effect relationship.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post

Playoffs only affect draft position if you make the Superbowl. So if they win this week, they're picking in the same spot whether Miami and San Diego both win and the Ravens go home or one of those teams lose and they get the sixth seed.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    You could say the same thing if we make the playoffs. Does having the #18 pick instead of the #22 pick really mean anything?
    Yes it does. 4 picks higher, through 7 rounds? Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Yes it does. 4 picks higher, through 7 rounds? Absolutely.
    Can you provide the evidence that suggest this trend and remember don't cherry pick.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Can you provide the evidence that suggest this trend and remember don't cherry pick.
    Really? So there is no value to picking 4 picks higher in the draft? Just sheer logic does not tell you that?