Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Julian Edelman

Julian Edelman

So after this season Julian Edelman becomes a free agent. Like Jacoby Jones he can function as both a return man and as a wide receiver. Most say that it isn't likely that Edelman won't return to the Patriots in 2014, but they also say that he'll be cheap in comparison to Golden Tate (who can also return and receive) and Eric Decker. Anyone think that he could come to Charm City on the cheap?

Re: Julian Edelman

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    So after this season Julian Edelman becomes a free agent. Like Jacoby Jones he can function as both a return man and as a wide receiver. Most say that it isn't likely that Edelman won't return to the Patriots in 2014, but they also say that he'll be cheap in comparison to Golden Tate (who can also return and receive) and Eric Decker. Anyone think that he could come to Charm City on the cheap?
    He wouldn't be all that cheap but I'd take him if they can afford it. Cap will be tight though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    That would be my guess. They thought enough of him to let Welker walk and I don't think they're in a rush to lose anymore receiver talent. And he won't be cheap (not Baltimore Ravens cheap anyway). We've got a handful of FA we'll be struggling to keep ourselves. Pitta and Art Jones come to mind.

Blog Entries

I would like a player like Edelman, but I can't see the Patriots letting him split.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mac in Va View Post
    That would be my guess. They thought enough of him to let Welker walk and I don't think they're in a rush to lose anymore receiver talent. And he won't be cheap (not Baltimore Ravens cheap anyway). We've got a handful of FA we'll be struggling to keep ourselves. Pitta and Art Jones come to mind.
    Don't forget that it was originally Amendola who was brought in to replace Welker. He kept on getting hurt so they adjusted and played Edelman in that position. If they had known that Edelman was capable of replacing Welker they probably wouldn't have spent so much on Amendola.

I agree with you that the Ravens won't be doing much shopping this offseason anyway so it doesn't matter

Blog Entries

Edelman is actually playing REALLY well this year. 89 receptions, almost 1,000 yards and 6 touchdowns.

Not bad for a 7th rounder.

Wish we could find a 7th round receiver to do that.

Edelman is worth so much more to the Patriots than anybody else. Guys don't leave New England and perform elsewhere.. it just doesn't happen (unless, like Welker, they go to a scheme that uses a lot of the same concepts and operates at just as high a level of football IQ.) The reason is that New England's schemes put such an emphasis on football IQ, intelligence, and chemistry over athleticism and talent. Edelman is not very talented, but because he has a high football IQ and can execute his responsibilities in the scheme, he gets open and makes plays.

If we signed Edelman and asked him to run go routes down the sidelines every play he'd be worthless. He's not faster, stronger, or more talented than most DBs in the league, so he would never be open. At best he'd be a Stokley type here, a guy who defenses only let get open if they totally forget about him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Edelman is worth so much more to the Patriots than anybody else. Guys don't leave New England and perform elsewhere.. it just doesn't happen (unless, like Welker, they go to a scheme that uses a lot of the same concepts and operates at just as high a level of football IQ.) The reason is that New England's schemes put such an emphasis on football IQ, intelligence, and chemistry over athleticism and talent. Edelman is not very talented, but because he has a high football IQ and can execute his responsibilities in the scheme, he gets open and makes plays.

If we signed Edelman and asked him to run go routes down the sidelines every play he'd be worthless. He's not faster, stronger, or more talented than most DBs in the league, so he would never be open. At best he'd be a Stokley type here, a guy who defenses only let get open if they totally forget about him.

Truth.

Again, it all comes down to scheme.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't want him and definitely not over Jacoby as things are right now. He doesn't fit this offense in any way and would be a total waste of valuable cap space, just like Welker would have been. The only way you sign a guy like him is if there is an OC switch, which we all know isn't going to happen. They need to turnover the back end of the receiver group (Doss stinks, Thompson hasn't done much, and Stokley is gone) but as long as they keep Jacoby and Pitta, a top three of Smith/Jones/Brown at WR is fine in this offense.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Edelman is actually playing REALLY well this year. 89 receptions, almost 1,000 yards and 6 touchdowns.

Not bad for a 7th rounder.

Wish we could find a 7th round receiver to do that.
    "Wicked, I promise you I'm going to get better and get close to that production"

Signed
    Marlow Brown, the undrafted one

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    "Wicked, I promise you I'm going to get better and get close to that production"

Signed
    Marlow Brown, the undrafted one
    That would be great.

I'm also hopeful that Aaron Mellette could develop into something special. I'm just not going to hold my breath is all.

Other than Torrey, this team and front office have had an extremely difficult time drafting and developing good receivers.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Don't forget that it was originally Amendola who was brought in to replace Welker. He kept on getting hurt so they adjusted and played Edelman in that position. If they had known that Edelman was capable of replacing Welker they probably wouldn't have spent so much on Amendola.

I agree with you that the Ravens won't be doing much shopping this offseason anyway so it doesn't matter
    You're right... forgot all about Amendola!