Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Re: Win next week and we are in?

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Really? Let's run some numbers:

The Bolts have beaten 4 of the 5 playoff-bound teams they've played (DEN, KC, CIN, IND, and either PHA or DAL). That seems pretty "special" to me.

The Fins are 3-3 against playoff-bound teams (NE 1-1, CIN 1-0, IND 1-0, NO 0-1, CAR 0-1) & also beat SD. Not quite as "special" but nothing to sniff at.

Even the Yinzers have an OK record vs division winners (wins over CIN, GB, losses to CIN, NE, CHI)

Meanwhile who have the Ravens beaten? PGH, CIN, CLE, DET, MIA, NYJ, HOU, MIN--only 2 teams with a winning record. Two of what looked like "quality" wins at the time were to teams in freefall (DET, HOU). They are 1-3 vs playoff bound teams (CIN. NE, CHI/GB, DEN) & two of those losses were humiliations.

Or you could look at the current strength of victory numbers:
    • MIA = 66
    • SD = 52
    • PGH = 49.5 (with one less win)
    • BAL = 45

An objective observer could argue that of the 4 teams still "in the hunt" for the #6 seed, Poe's Crows are the least deserving of it, by a significant margin.
    So if they've picked up a lot of wins a good teams, that probably means they've lost to quite a few bad teams.

Goes both ways, bro.

And I'm still trying to figure out why I should care if we "deserve" it or not.
    Last edited by GaTechRavens; 12-23-2013 at 10:30 AM.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I believe the Jets can beat the Dolphins. And with all odds against us, I also believe we can walk out of Paul Brown Stadium with a W.

We don't make it easy, but ultimately we find a way. That's true, until proven otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by CopRaven View Post
    You know, the more I think about it, the more I believe the Jets can beat the Dolphins. And with all odds against us, I also believe we can walk out of Paul Brown Stadium with a W.

We don't make it easy, but ultimately we find a way. That's true, until proven otherwise.
    I hope so but the Bengals of the past sure don't look like it. This is a very different Bengals team this year and all year we've been waiting for the collaspe that never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    I hope so but the Bengals of the past sure don't look like it. This is a very different Bengals team this year and all year we've been waiting for the collaspe that never happened.
    That remains to be seen.

So what does Cincy have on the line? Anything? Do they still have a shot at a bye?

If not, they may be resting and if were not totally demoralized from the Patriots loss, we stand a sporting chance at winning.

If I'm correct, Kansas City is still competing for the bye.

And the Jets are the Dolphins divisional rivals and I know they would love to play the role of spoiler.

So all isn't totally lost.

I think if we get in, we'll be one-and-done, but at least it's something to hang the proverbial hat on. I don't think there's a whole lot of difference in terms of the draft between being 8-8 and 9-7 and a 6 seed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_Carcetti View Post
    So what does Cincy have on the line? Anything? Do they still have a shot at a bye?

If not, they may be resting and if were not totally demoralized from the Patriots loss, we stand a sporting chance at winning.

If I'm correct, Kansas City is still competing for the bye.

And the Jets are the Dolphins divisional rivals and I know they would love to play the role of spoiler.

So all isn't totally lost.

I think if we get in, we'll be one-and-done, but at least it's something to hang the proverbial hat on. I don't think there's a whole lot of difference in terms of the draft between being 8-8 and 9-7 and a 6 seed.
    Cincy still has a lot to play for. They could still get a #2 seed if the Pats lose and since they are playing at the same time they have no choice but to go full tilt.

KC has nothing to play for. They are locked into the #5 seed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GaTechRavens View Post
    So if they've picked up a lot of wins a good teams, that probably means they've lost to quite a few bad teams.

Goes both ways, bro.
    Well, let's compare strengths of schedule, OK?

Number of wins by all opponents through 12/22:

MIA = 114
    SD = 129
    PGH = 113
    BAL = 115

SD seems to have had the toughest schedule (having the Nags & Chefs in your division kind of helps that), but nothing suggests that either the Yinzers or the Fins have played significantly easier schedules than the Crows.

So no, bro, it doesn't go both ways. Sorry.
    And I'm still trying to figure out why I should care if we "deserve" it or not.
    You're not being asked to care--you're a Ravens fan with all the emotion that involves.

My point is that an objective observer--someone with no stake in the outcome--could easily conclude that based on their 2013 play so far, Baltimore looks less (or at least no more) like a deserving playoff team than any of the other 3 still in contention for the #6 seed.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Well, let's compare strengths of schedule, OK?

Number of wins by all opponents through 12/22:

MIA = 114
    SD = 129
    PGH = 113
    BAL = 115

SD seems to have had the toughest schedule (having the Nags & Chefs in your division kind of helps that), but nothing suggests that either the Yinzers or the Fins have played significantly easier schedules than the Crows.

So no, bro, it doesn't go both ways. Sorry.
    That's not what I asked for, buddy. I asked about losses to bad teams.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GaTechRavens View Post
    That's not what I asked for, buddy. I asked about losses to bad teams.
    I don't give a fuck what you asked for, Sparky. I didn't set the case out for your benefit, only to counter your argument.

I'm addressing everyone out there who hasn't already decided he knows the answer & won't consider anything that doesn't fit his preconceived notions. Which obviously leaves you out.