Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A Final Star Spangled Banner

After 18 Seasons, A Final Star Spangled Banner

Whether you like his renditions of the star spangled banner or not, tomorrow will be Mishael Millers last time singing the song at Baltimore Ravens football games.

Thought after 18 years, the man deserved some recognition and a thread for his dedication to doing what he did for all those years.

Good Luck in Alabama!!
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Re: A Final Star Spangled Banner

Going to miss him.

I admit, I didn't like him at first. But his voice grew over the years and he nails it every time now.

Good for him and good luck!

Blog Entries

Kind've ironic, there was a blog post a month or two back where someone opined that it was time for Mr. Miller to step aside and start rotating the National Anthem singer to give other local talent a spotlight. The Ravens at the time said that they kept going to Mr. Miller because of his ability to flex the timing of his singing as needed, as far as having to speed things up to get in a commercial break, or spread things out to draw out the time on the anthem.

End of an era, anyway.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

His rendition used to be full of flourishes and improvisation. There was a very definite point where someone told him he needed to just sing it straight, which was very welcome for those of us who sing along. (Far too few of us, but I digress.) Since that time I have been a huge fan.

My favorite are the opening days when the flyover is coming in late. That man can hold notes so long I'm waiting for him to turn blue.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Kind've ironic, there was a blog post a month or two back where someone opined that it was time for Mr. Miller to step aside and start rotating the National Anthem singer to give other local talent a spotlight. The Ravens at the time said that they kept going to Mr. Miller because of his ability to flex the timing of his singing as needed, as far as having to speed things up to get in a commercial break, or spread things out to draw out the time on the anthem.

End of an era, anyway.
    Was thinking the same thing....the man was simply The Best, imo!! No one better!!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    His rendition used to be full of flourishes and improvisation. There was a very definite point where someone told him he needed to just sing it straight, which was very welcome for those of us who sing along. (Far too few of us, but I digress.) Since that time I have been a huge fan.

My favorite are the opening days when the flyover is coming in late. That man can hold notes so long I'm waiting for him to turn blue.
    I remember his "jazzier" versions, and also wasn't a big fan way back when. But I'm pretty sure they stopped very early in his tenure, like right around the move to M&T Bank Stadium. Cuz I've been enjoying his renditions for a looooooong time. Now I can't imagine anyone else singing it before home games!

Hopefully the Ravens can rally behind Miller and roll to another championship in his honor, a la Ray last season!

I have loved his performance. It will be sad for him to be gone.

I just hope that they do not get into bringing on people who care more about their rendition than just singing. I hate those who try to add flourishes, variations and self-promoting - do that n the shower.

Thanks, Mishael Miller. I appreciate your talent and your effort.
    Captain Offense

Quote Originally Posted by BMann View Post
    I remember his "jazzier" versions, and also wasn't a big fan way back when. But I'm pretty sure they stopped very early in his tenure, like right around the move to M&T Bank Stadium. Cuz I've been enjoying his renditions for a looooooong time.
    The other Modell son had instructed Miller to jazz it up. Bisciotti's money talked: Steve, similar to the Ravens fans, ordered the un-jazzing of the Anthem soon after joining the front office team.

(I read this on the internet somewhere, and the internet doesn't lie. Ever. :T2: )
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Disliked when they brought others in to do the Anthem for whatever reason- not that they performed poorly, it just wasn't up to the standard of OUR guy Mishael. His reliability, professionalism and ability to adapt to the situation have made him a favorite son.
    Best of luck to him with his new position in Alabama.. send him out with a WIN!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ngata Yard View Post
    Disliked when they brought others in to do the Anthem for whatever reason- not that they performed poorly, it just wasn't up to the standard of OUR guy Mishael. His reliability, professionalism and ability to adapt to the situation have made him a favorite son.
    Best of luck to him with his new position in Alabama.. send him out with a WIN!
    Right, simply put...tradition is important. He will be missed... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Going to miss him.

I admit, I didn't like him at first. But his voice grew over the years and he nails it every time now.

Good for him and good luck!
    I've always thought of him as a good luck charm - with some serious pipes!
    Rock on, Mishael!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Offense View Post
    I just hope that they do not get into bringing on people who care more about their rendition than just singing. I hate those who try to add flourishes, variations and self-promoting - do that n the shower.
    My sentiments to a T as well.

I hate the way singers, performers, etc. attempt to add on stuff (harmonizing or whatever) in attempt to modernize or add flare to the song.

Just sing the song the way it was written as this is not something to be toyed with or twisted in any way, shape or form.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!