Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stupid Flex

Blog Entries

Re: Stupid Flex

Sorry Ex but no owner or even the NFL has that kind of power. NBC thought it would get better ratings with the Bears/Eagles. I think they're nuts but we'll never know.

You also have to remember that the decision was made before we beat the Lions, before the Steelers beat the Bengals, and before the Dolphins beat the Pats. Our game against the Pats means a lot more after all of those results.

I still think the week 17 game will be Dallas-Philly, which is a FOX game anyway. But depending on Sunday's results our game against Cincy might also be an option.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    You also have to remember that the decision was made before we beat the Lions, before the Steelers beat the Bengals, and before the Dolphins beat the Pats. Our game against the Pats means a lot more after all of those results.

I still think the week 17 game will be Dallas-Philly, which is a FOX game anyway. But depending on Sunday's results our game against Cincy might also be an option.
    I'd rather play Cincy in the afternoon, than on a primetime game. Home field advantage on prime time games just has that slight advantage.

4. Re: Stupid Flex

This is a lot simpler than most are making it. It's not a conspiracy or even a play for bigger media markets. Per the NBC agreement, the number of games flexed from CBS can't be more than the number flexed from Fox (or vice-versa) by 3.

Going into week 16 there have been 3 more CBS games flexed than Fox games, meaning that the NFL had to either flex a Fox game to get that number back to 2 or limit themselves to only Fox games for potential flexing in week 17.

Interestingly enough, the best bets for week 17 still look like Fox games (PHI @ DAL or CHI @GB) but Ravens @ Bengals or Chiefs @ Chargers could still be possibilities for CBS games.

Having to make the decision early put the NFL in a position to have to hedge their bets, and Bears @ Eagles plus full flexibility in week 17 was a safer option than Patriots @ Ravens and being locked into NFC only options in week 17.

Sympathies to the OP who will have to go to sports bar to watch the game, or a friends' house with satellite TV.

On the other hand, there are 71,000 Ravens fans who pay for tickets to the stadium every home game, most of whom would rather attend an afternoon game.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

Even the NFL preview video for the game acknowledges NBC made a mistake, and called CBS the winners of NBC's decision. Personally, I'm glad. I'm too jacked after a game to sleep for hours. But I think NBC made a mistake; and I'm pretty sure the Execs at NBC now realize this.
    Last edited by Flipping Birdie; 12-20-2013 at 07:28 PM.
    "A lot" is a two word expression denoting a great deal or greatly, as in "I like sunshine a lot." "Alot" is a lovable imaginary grammar monster. You can love a lot; you can love an alot; you can love alots a lot; but they are not the same thing.

America's third and fourth largest markets playing each other? Lots and lots of offense? Or a small market team that primarily kicks field goals vs a near-lock to get into the post season that's missing their star tight end? Sounds like a no-brainer from a network perspective.

Calling it now...our game will be closer than the eagles-bears game. Not complaining about the time of the game as I will be going.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

From a pure football standpoint I would much rather see Brady/Flacco rather than Foles/Cutler. It's a 3 time Super Champ and the most recent Super Bowl MVP over two guys who have yet to win anything. Maybe Philly/Chicago has more viewers than Boston/Baltimore. But I think over all the country, hence more viewers, would rather see the Ravens game.