Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Julian Edelman

Re: Julian Edelman

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    So after this season Julian Edelman becomes a free agent. Like Jacoby Jones he can function as both a return man and as a wide receiver. Most say that it isn't likely that Edelman won't return to the Patriots in 2014, but they also say that he'll be cheap in comparison to Golden Tate (who can also return and receive) and Eric Decker. Anyone think that he could come to Charm City on the cheap?
    Never say never... he "plays like a Raven," but I like the receivers we're growing at home. I'm not sure Edelman would give us much more than Pitta besides depth. You referenced Jacoby, who I'd much rather have than Edelman. Jacoby will be a tight fit, too, esp. if he has a strong finish and some good Festivus to raise his profile [again]. Let's see who grows up that might be cheaper/younger/faster (Doss, Thompson, Mellete, Garard/Girard (sp.?), Jucyzck [who might be Edelman in a Mack truck...], etc.), and who sticks around or doesn't (Jacoby).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Edelman is worth so much more to the Patriots than anybody else. Guys don't leave New England and perform elsewhere.. it just doesn't happen (unless, like Welker, they go to a scheme that uses a lot of the same concepts and operates at just as high a level of football IQ.) The reason is that New England's schemes put such an emphasis on football IQ, intelligence, and chemistry over athleticism and talent. Edelman is not very talented, but because he has a high football IQ and can execute his responsibilities in the scheme, he gets open and makes plays.

If we signed Edelman and asked him to run go routes down the sidelines every play he'd be worthless. He's not faster, stronger, or more talented than most DBs in the league, so he would never be open. At best he'd be a Stokley type here, a guy who defenses only let get open if they totally forget about him.
    I also think the quarterback has a lot to do with that. Let's face it, Brady makes that offense go.

Blog Entries

Edelmen would be garbage in this offense. Guys like Eric Decker would be much better fits in this offense, sadly, he's going to be way out of our price range.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Edelman is actually playing REALLY well this year. 89 receptions, almost 1,000 yards and 6 touchdowns.

Not bad for a 7th rounder.

Wish we could find a 7th round QB turned receiver to do that.
    Fixed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kjmass1 View Post
    Fixed.
    Tyrod?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I get what the OP is getting at with Edleman, but like others have said, he'd be wasted here.

It's obvious he is a short area guy who runs a ton of short option and crossing routes...we'd just be sending him on 9 routes on most of his plays.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Edelmen would be garbage in this offense. Guys like Eric Decker would be much better fits in this offense, sadly, he's going to be way out of our price range.

This is exactly right. There are only two types of receivers that can be productive in this offense. Big, physical receivers that can out muscle DB's for the ball and athletic freaks that have speed and size to create their own seperation. Receivers like Edelman are not utilized properly here. Edelman is a nice fit to the Patriots offensive scheme. He would be a nice fit in a west coast offense. Here? I doubt it.