Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: The Baltimore Ravens should heavily pursue a new OC and DC for 2014.

I think you can argue that our 29th/25th (yds/pts) offense deserves a change for sure. I think youll be hard pressed to get OZ or Harbs to say our 9th/7th Defense does as well. Face guys, Pees has majorly improved our defense, even if we dont like the style or think we could be even better. I dont see us getting away from Pees even if Id like to personally. Honestly i dont see a quality defensive coach being available. that may be the case with OC as well.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    That's how they went through the post season last year. Get that run game and play action working and the QB will be back to a high level also. Hope it starts on Sunday
    But the running game wasn't even that good in the playoffs. It was average at best. Joe was constantly having to convert third and longs, because of their constant running on first down. The only 100 yard rusher throughout was Ray Rice and he had to run the ball thirty times to get that.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    5 straight years of playoffs (possibly 6), 3 AFCCG's and a Super Bowl win.

I don't think Ozzie (and especially Mr "Hands Off" Bisciotti) are going to try to convince him of changing one thing in term of his system.
    But look at what virtually always happens in the playoffs. The rush offense stalls and they have to rely on the passing offense. Flacco's first year, he made the crucial mistake. After that, it was dropped passes in Indianapolis, Pittsburgh AND New England that doomed them, in games that should have even been that close. The one time they even remotely deviated from their 'philosophy', Joe went wild, but he still had to make to ridiculous conversions. Instead of making your best weapon the focal point, you continue to leave him as background music?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    But look at what virtually always happens in the playoffs. The rush offense stalls and they have to rely on the passing offense. Flacco's first year, he made the crucial mistake. After that, it was dropped passes in Indianapolis, Pittsburgh AND New England that doomed them, in games that should have even been that close. The one time they even remotely deviated from their 'philosophy', Joe went wild, but he still had to make to ridiculous conversions. Instead of making your best weapon the focal point, you continue to leave him as background music?
    Run First Offense =/= Joe being the background player.

It's putting the offense in the position to better showcase his skills. He's an accurate, deep ball thrower. You need an effective running game to set that up.

This season is proof. No run game = Joe's diminished numbers.

He's not the type of QB that can do it all himself.

Blog Entries

The reason we keep having to come from behind and go on the road in the playoffs is, because the organization keeps leaving the offense as an afterthought, compared to the other units. Other teams like the Packers, Broncos and Patriots make their best offensive weapon the focal point of, not only the offense, but the team. The Ravens are the one team with a high quality proven QB that doesn't do that and the only reason they get away with it is, because Joe is so damn clutch. However, that's not fair to him. For him to constantly have to deal with what he's had to deal with. Inadequate system, play calling and weapons. Building the offense and making it the focal point doesn't mean you have to abandon the defense. Because all that's going to happen is that if the defense can't hold a lead late, they get a pass for constantly having to carry the majority of the weight, while Flacco and Co. take the heat for not putting up enough points. It's not fair to keep asking that man to take a knife to a gun fight.

Blog Entries

It's putting the offense in the position to better showcase his skills. He's an accurate, deep ball thrower. You need an effective running game to set that up.

No QB can do it by himself, and the reality that throwing deep is his strength doesn't mean he can't be more of an asset in the shorter range. Philosophically and systematically they give him little wiggle room if any at all. Greg Cosell himself has constantly talked about how no QB in the league is asked to make more pinpoint throws than Joe Flacco and how the system does very little to showcase him.

Blog Entries

That's what I was trying to say - even to some extent if the run is being stopped they have to keep the D honest. Especially when you get into winter.

I'd love to see a new OC here but just don't want to focus on it now

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

The Career Development Advisory Panel, a group put together by the NFL to form an inclusive list of head coaching and GM candidates with an emphasis on minorities, has Jim Caldwell listed as one of their top minority candidates. It was reported in the MMQB's weekly one-page magazine. Perhaps this will get Caldwell a bit more attention as a candidate, but given how the offense has performed for most of the year, I doubt that anyone else will really want to snatch him up.

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Perhaps, the reality is that Kubiak is a more natural Coordinator than Head Coach.

The issue with Caldwell is, as RaveninWoodlawn has mentioned before, his system in Indianpolis was not complex at all. They ran the same half dozen or so plays every game.

Stretch run, play action off of the stretch run
    HB Dive, play action off of the HB Dive
    Slant, slant and go

The rest of the system was Peyton throwing out fake audibles to trick defenses into believing they were running something different. It was just to open up the same plays. That's why the Ravens defense was so successful against Peyton, because Ray and Reed knew it was all bullshit.

Their A plan just worked really really well. When it didn't, they really couldn't switch up either.
    so in 10 years only the ravens figured that out? hmmm...

Ex, this is at least the 3rd time you've started this thread this season. :DeadHorse:

I don't know if Caldwell is the best OC or not. But irrespective of your views on offensive philosophy, he clearly hasn't had much to work with this season. When he did have more to work with the results were outstanding. I'm not sure how you look at that and conclude that he should be fired.

What I do know is that teams that continually fire coaches and coordinators rarely develop the continuity to be successful. As a fan base we pretty much all agreed that Cam had to go. The new guy has been around for 1 calendar year and we're already calling for his head?!? Maybe we can fire our OC every year at Christmas and then continue to wonder why players haven't perfected the current system.

As for DC, our defense is playing well. No change will happen unless Pees leaves of his own accord. I loved watching Rex's defenses, but as long as they're playing well I'm not one to complain about style.

Blog Entries

5 straight years of playoffs (possibly 6), 3 AFCCG's and a Super Bowl win.

I don't think Ozzie (and especially Mr "Hands Off" Bisciotti) are going to try to convince him of changing one thing in term of his system.
    Great point. Bisciotti leaves the football to the football people. If he had a problem he would change Ozzie or Harbaugh

Amen. Also I think the Deadskins are valid proof what of what happens when an owner sticks his nose into the franchise too much.