Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: The Baltimore Ravens should heavily pursue a new OC and DC for 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by esporter113 View Post
    Kubiak is an interesting option. I've heard him get a lot of praise for always finding ways to get Andre Johnson wide-ass open even though he's one of the best receivers in the league and should be blanketed at all times. And their TEs have always been really effective. He could probably do some great things with Pitta and Torrey.

But then again when everything was falling apart in Houston this year I heard a lot of people trash him for running a simplistic, vanilla scheme that was easy for defenses to key on (hence the pick-sixes).

Who knows where the reality is.
    Perhaps, the reality is that Kubiak is a more natural Coordinator than Head Coach.

The issue with Caldwell is, as RaveninWoodlawn has mentioned before, his system in Indianpolis was not complex at all. They ran the same half dozen or so plays every game.

Stretch run, play action off of the stretch run
    HB Dive, play action off of the HB Dive
    Slant, slant and go

The rest of the system was Peyton throwing out fake audibles to trick defenses into believing they were running something different. It was just to open up the same plays. That's why the Ravens defense was so successful against Peyton, because Ray and Reed knew it was all bullshit.

Their A plan just worked really really well. When it didn't, they really couldn't switch up either.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    This. Harbs is not going to fire both coordinators. The only was either is replaced, IMO, is if they decide to leave on their own (like Mattison).

So funny how fickle everyone is. This time last year everything was Cam Cameron's fault and Caldwell was the savior and our offense was going to break records going forward.
    Well, at the time, we thought that Caldwell would get the chance to implement Indy's system. Instead, he was forced to keep Cameron's. We thought he'd have more control and when we found out he didn't, it brought us back to reality. That they are still running the same system we complained about back then. Caldwell has run it a little better, but it still needs to go.

Who the hell runs a run first system, in 2013, with a Super Bowl MVP QB? Who does that?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    I've seen Caldwell in a list of names for potential head coaching spots in 2014. Doubtful. I just want more variety and open mindedness on offense.
    For much of this year I was convinced that Caldwell would get a HC gig with another team once the Ravens finished the 2013 season. And I found the prospect disappointing. Now I've almost done a 180 on my thinking. The Ravens' poor offensive performance this season will reflect unfavorably, in the eyes of many, on Caldwell. It could well give other organizations pause when looking for a new hire. Meanwhile, I find I'm not so keen on the idea of his staying in Baltimore. I'm not dismissing the execution troubles on the OL and in the running game, nor the loss of Pitta for 3/4 of the year. But the offensive scheme and playcalling are still lacking.

Blog Entries

I don't even think it's all of Caldwell's fault. Ozzie and Bisciotti need to convince John that a change is needed and that it is a philosophical change. First, however, they have to convince themselves, because they've gone along with the same philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I don't even think it's all of Caldwell's fault.
    Even so, perception is a powerful thing and it can't help Caldwell's chances of landing a HC gig.

Blog Entries

Well, at the time, we thought that Caldwell would get the chance to implement Indy's system. Instead, he was forced to keep Cameron's. We thought he'd have more control and when we found out he didn't, it brought us back to reality. That they are still running the same system we complained about back then. Caldwell has run it a little better, but it still needs to go.

Who the hell runs a run first system, in 2013, with a Super Bowl MVP QB? Who does that?
    That's how they went through the post season last year. Get that run game and play action working and the QB will be back to a high level also. Hope it starts on Sunday

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I don't even think it's all of Caldwell's fault. Ozzie and Bisciotti need to convince John that a change is needed and that it is a philosophical change. First, however, they have to convince themselves, because they've gone along with the same philosophy.
    5 straight years of playoffs (possibly 6), 3 AFCCG's and a Super Bowl win.

I don't think Ozzie (and especially Mr "Hands Off" Bisciotti) are going to try to convince him of changing one thing in term of his system.

Gary Kubiak or Kyle Shannahan. One of those Shannahan disciples to get our running game back on track. And yes, Monachino or bring in one of Seattle's assistants since they basically run a 43/34 hybrid base like the Ravens do, but closer to the 43 side.

It won't happen, but I'd love to have either Kubiak or Kyle Shanahan here as OC.

Both, IMO, are true coordinators. It's their specialty and they excel at it. The later gives you the element of youth, thus providing stability for years, assuming he doesn't get offered a HC gig somewhere.

This being Caldwell's first full season I'm going to give him a little bit of a pass given the challenge of a new blocking scheme that was initiated by Harbaugh and personnel changes due to injuries, trades and retirement. If we get to the playoffs for the 6th straight season I think there's reason to hold on to him for another year and see what a little retooling and re-tweaking does with our personnel.

As for Pees statistically were much better now compared to this time a year ago. We would all like to see a creative, aggressive and attacking defense but there's no concrete evidence that this kind of defense would be that much better than what we have now. If we can just re-tool a little via the draft I think we'll be in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    5 straight years of playoffs (possibly 6), 3 AFCCG's and a Super Bowl win.

I don't think Ozzie (and especially Mr "Hands Off" Bisciotti) are going to try to convince him of changing one thing in term of his system.
    :word

I don't get it. I really don't. The amazing success we have had with this franchise under Harbaugh and every year it's "fire _____" and suggesting drastic changes. Or thinking Bisciotti is suddenly going to start meddling or telling Harbs what to do despite every single thing he has ever said showing he does not like to be a hands-on owner like Jones or Snyder.

Blog Entries

Can we get through these last two games, playoffs and superbowl win before we start changing personnel?

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!