Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Re: A&E Suspends Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Wasn't his marrying 15 year old comment to someone who was close in age?
    That makes it better?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    That makes it better?
    Which part?

Blog Entries

Wasn't his marrying 15 year old comment to someone who was close in age?
    I dont believe so. I think he was referring to 20+ year olds at the very least by context.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I dont believe so. I think he was referring to 20+ year olds at the very least by context.
    That's what I heard, so I'm not really sure. Since his comments were in a speech as advice he was giving to someone, I'm not sure there is a way to tell.

As far as his other comments, since the crowd was laughing, I'm thinking they were partly in jest.

But as far as any of those comments go, I just read this comment on a Yahoo! article and agree with it:

Look, back in the day when Phil was a younger Man, it was not unusual for Men 18 to 21 to marry 16 yr old Women. it was not a big deal back than, and not against the law as long as her parents gave their blessing. Political correctness has advanced so far, so fast, that it even attempts to regulate love and marriage. Not really practical advice in these days, from Phil, but that is how his generation grew up.

Blog Entries

That's what I heard, so I'm not really sure. Since his comments were in a speech as advice he was giving to someone, I'm not sure there is a way to tell.

As far as his other comments, since the crowd was laughing, I'm thinking they were partly in jest.

But as far as any of those comments go, I just read this comment on a Yahoo! article and agree with it:
    Basically what my post was saying in the first place. Society has progressed way faster than some can keep up with. I feel our generation is going to be looking at us and gay rights in a similar way as we look at our grandparents or older generations about racial rights.

Robertson is stuck in that time because all he cares about is God and his family from what i gather so outside of that he still has a mind set of someone in the 50-60s on just about everything else because i think its of little importance to him personally. I may be reaching somewhat on that, but thats just what i get from his comments.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Basically what my post was saying in the first place. Society has progressed way faster than some can keep up with. I feel our generation is going to be looking at us and gay rights in a similar way as we look at our grandparents or older generations about racial rights.

Robertson is stuck in that time because all he cares about is God and his family from what i gather so outside of that he still has a mind set of someone in the 50-60s on just about everything else because i think its of little importance to him personally. I may be reaching somewhat on that, but thats just what i get from his comments.
    I don't think you're reaching too much. He may not still think this just because it's of little importance, but that and it's because that is how it was when he grew up.

Much ado about nothing IMO. I don't really agree with what he said, but it's no big deal either.

Blog Entries

I don't think you're reaching too much. He may not still think this just because it's of little importance, but that and it's because that is how it was when he grew up.

Much ado about nothing IMO. I don't really agree with what he said, but it's no big deal either.
    Thats what I mean. He grew up thinking that and hes had no reason to rethink it since. Just now he has a larger audience to take notice of such things.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

legal age of consent of 15 isn't too far out of the realm of a lot of states...in West Virginia, I believe the legal age of consent is 15.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    legal age of consent of 15 isn't too far out of the realm of a lot of states...in West Virginia, I believe the legal age of consent is 15.
    I think age of consent is 16-18 across the US. Theres also marriageable age which im not sure if it differs at all or not but almost all cases, anybody under 18 needs legal guardianship to be present to do so. So you can sleep with them without the parents knowing, but they need to know if youre marrying them. funny how that works.
    -JAB