Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 49 to 60 of 81
  1. #49

    Re: A&E Suspends Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty



    So neither of you can show where he said it? I guess you're both liars, which is about what I'd expect.

    I'm going to type real slow so y'all can follow along with me. Use google to look up the meanings of words more than two syllables.

    1+1=2 in math. This isn't math. It is the highly subjective realm of human speech. Robertson said black folks were happier pre-welfare era. He never once hinted, alleged, made passing comment about, or in any other way said they were happier under Jim Crow laws. The only people who have made that jump in logic are bigots.

    You say that Robertston enrolled in '66, a year after Jim Crow were officially declared unconstitutional. However, the first black student enrolled at LSU in 1953. Segregation of public schools in Louisiana started in 1960. There were boycotts against segregation in public transportation in New Orleans in 1953.

    Now you like math, so help me out. If he enrolled in '66, and LSU had been segregated since '53, that means... Yes, LSU had had black students for 13 years before Phil showed up. Robertson would likely have gone to public school with black students from the time he was 12 or 13.

    Robertson lived through the Civil Rights movement. He saw the struggles blacks were facing from the democrats. He'd have been five years old (roughly) when the boycotts started in New Orleans. He would have grown up during that period, and working with black folks like he did I'm betting he would've gotten a feel for their mood. He said they were happy, and their lives were improving at that time. It was a struggle, yes, but one good people were winning. They saw their lives changing for the better, so they likely were happy.

    You're claiming that Robertson said blacks were happier under Jim Crow laws. He was five years old when blacks started fighting for equal treatment, so it's a pretty good bet he knew they weren't happy about the laws back then. In order to substantiate your argument, you grasp blindly for straws hoping that if you shout RACISM loud enough, nobody will point out you don't have any facts.

    My claim is that Robertson said blacks folks were happier in the pre-entitlement era. I can back up my claim by directly quoting what he said. I can also back up my argument by historical facts.

    Now if you and Spammy would kindly start doing a little research before bothering me, that'd be great. I don't get paid to teach you two.




  2. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: A&E Suspends Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty

    Why turn to personal attacks?

    A large portion of my family lived in the south in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. Every single one of them would disagree with you and Mr. Robertson that they were happier during those days...that they saw their lives changing for the better. There were things to hope for, yes, but in my family there are still bitter feeling towards the South for the way my grandparents were treated. Not even serving his (my grandfather) country in WW2 was enough to be look at as anymore than "boy". My grandmother picked cotton in those fields...growing up in her house she always reminded us of that. She wasn't "happy". The songs blacks sung in those fields are the same negro spirituals that were sung during slavery. The Blues was birthed out of those struggles. During the 70s my Grandparents relocated to D.C. because they just couldn't take the South anymore.

    Please enlighten us, when exactly was this pre-entitlement era? I don't know if Robertson is racist. He is at least ignorant of the plight and feelings of the black community during that time.

    Also, anyone that thinks that when Jim Crow became unconstitutional everything was great for the black community is being misguided. There still was and to some degree (depending on the area) still is residential, commercial and industrial segregation.
    "I got this." - Justin Tucker




  3. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    27,362
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: A&E Suspends Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty

    To me it seems the biggest problem here is that Phil isn't exactly what any of is would call a "wordsmith".




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  4. #52

    Re: A&E Suspends Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty

    I responded with personal attacks because I don't respect bigots.

    You're not ever gonna hear me say that black folks were treated right back then. That wasn't the point of my post. My point is that things were beginning to look up for blacks and just maybe there was a feeling of things getting better. Your family wasn't happy in the south, a sentiment I wholly understand. Were your family hanging out with Phil? No? Then you can't say with 100% accuracy how the folks he did hang out with felt. Now you could make the counter argument that your family history paints it as unlikely black folks Phil knew were happier, but you can't state it as fact.

    Pre-entitlement era? You mean before the nanny state completely destroyed the lives of poor people? That's easy. Before our country started paying people to do nothing. Before it became common place for a man to abandon the children he sired because the government would take up the slack. When going on welfare was something to be ashamed of.

    My favorite quote from you is, "I don't know if Robertson is racist." Exactly. You don't know because he didn't say anything inherently racist. And yet he is being called a racist by the liberals. He said blacks were happier pre-entitlement. That actually makes sense because people of all colors are happier when they're working and improving their lives. The way the welfare system works in America hinders a person's ability to get out of poverty.

    And for your last comment. Gosh, you mean people are assholes? No! Really?
    http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...ites_hispanics

    There's a whole lot of "no shit" parts in this article, but the parts you might find interesting are...
    "Among black Americans, 31% think most blacks are racist, while 24% consider most whites racist and 15% view most Hispanics that way."

    and

    "Overall, just 30% of all Americans now rate race relations in the United States as good or excellent. Fourteen percent (14%) describe them as poor. Twenty-nine percent (29%) think race relations are getting better, while 32% believe they are getting worse. Thirty-five percent (35%) feel they are staying about the same."




  5. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    22,950

    Re: A&E Suspends Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post
    Just curious, but anyone wanna defend Robertson's statements that black people were happier under Jim Crow laws?

    Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2
    That's not what he said
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  6. #54
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    22,950

    Re: A&E Suspends Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty

    The problem with what Phil said regarding blacks is that he's attributing a class issue to race.

    Applying the term "pre-entitlement" to only blacks gives us insight to his thoughts about blacks in general, as if they're the only class that takes advantage of entitlements.

    I agree with his sentiments though. The entitlement system has destroyed many communities, mostly minorities ones. But he didn't say it like that.

    Could be him not being a wordsmith or him being a stone cold bigot. On this issue, we may never know.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  7. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: A&E Suspends Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    I responded with personal attacks because I don't respect bigots.

    You're not ever gonna hear me say that black folks were treated right back then. That wasn't the point of my post. My point is that things were beginning to look up for blacks and just maybe there was a feeling of things getting better. Your family wasn't happy in the south, a sentiment I wholly understand. Were your family hanging out with Phil? No? Then you can't say with 100% accuracy how the folks he did hang out with felt. Now you could make the counter argument that your family history paints it as unlikely black folks Phil knew were happier, but you can't state it as fact.
    That's exactly my point. It is highly unlikely that Phil knew black people at that time that were happy with the status quo. Black people more than likely didn't voice any negative feelings they had to Phil because he was a white man in the south. So his perspective of that time is skewed. Of course I can't say with 100% certainly...but it is not an unreasonable conclusion for me (and others) to come to given history and knowledge of how black people felt who lived in that time.

    Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Pre-entitlement era? You mean before the nanny state completely destroyed the lives of poor people? That's easy. Before our country started paying people to do nothing. Before it became common place for a man to abandon the children he sired because the government would take up the slack. When going on welfare was something to be ashamed of.

    My favorite quote from you is, "I don't know if Robertson is racist." Exactly. You don't know because he didn't say anything inherently racist. And yet he is being called a racist by the liberals. He said blacks were happier pre-entitlement. That actually makes sense because people of all colors are happier when they're working and improving their lives. The way the welfare system works in America hinders a person's ability to get out of poverty.
    That's an interesting take...Destroyed the lives of poor people.

    The welfare system is in need of major reform. But lets not act like no one on welfare has ever gotten off of it or use it to better themselves. My mother, sister, and I are prime examples of that. People complain that those on welfare are leeching off the government. Well lets fix the problem. But no, we're too concern with gay marriage, the war on Christmas, and abortion. Our priorities are out of whack. Work to fix the poverty issue and less people will be driven to welfare. Also reform it so it is less than easy to live on for an extended period of time. I don't think it should go away entirely as it can help those at the bottom get to the middle class or higher and achieve the "American Dream". But as with anything, idiots will always abuse the system/any system. Free loaders didn't just appear in the last 40 or so years. Let's have an honest open debate in this country as to why minorities, mostly blacks, are mostly in poverty and how can we change that. I guess its easier to say the government made these people fat, dumb and happy.

    Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    And for your last comment. Gosh, you mean people are assholes? No! Really?
    http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...ites_hispanics

    There's a whole lot of "no shit" parts in this article, but the parts you might find interesting are...
    "Among black Americans, 31% think most blacks are racist, while 24% consider most whites racist and 15% view most Hispanics that way."

    and

    "Overall, just 30% of all Americans now rate race relations in the United States as good or excellent. Fourteen percent (14%) describe them as poor. Twenty-nine percent (29%) think race relations are getting better, while 32% believe they are getting worse. Thirty-five percent (35%) feel they are staying about the same."
    Good article. I've seen similar numbers in the last few years. I will admit black people can be a little..."touchy" when it comes to race. But it's built upon generations of struggling to gain equal footing with white americans. IMO race relations are the best they've ever been....but we still have a long way to gone. A little more sensitivity from BOTH sides will go a long way.
    "I got this." - Justin Tucker




  8. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: A&E Suspends Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    The problem with what Phil said regarding blacks is that he's attributing a class issue to race.

    Applying the term "pre-entitlement" to only blacks gives us insight to his thoughts about blacks in general, as if they're the only class that takes advantage of entitlements.

    I agree with his sentiments though. The entitlement system has destroyed many communities, mostly minorities ones. But he didn't say it like that.

    Could be him not being a wordsmith or him being a stone cold bigot. On this issue, we may never know.
    Good point. He very well could've meant it that well. It's not the why I took it. Gonna be careful how you speak on matters such as that, as to get the point across clearly.

    The truth may lie somewhere in the matter of not being a wordsmith and being a bigot.
    "I got this." - Justin Tucker




  9. #57
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates
    Posts
    4,417

    Re: A&E Suspends Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty

    That's exactly my point. It is highly unlikely that Phil knew black people at that time that were happy with the status quo.
    That again is not what he said. He said they were "happier"; not with the status quo but with life in general.




  10. #58

    Re: A&E Suspends Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty

    I will say that it is my perception of white people in the south, from my experiences spending summers growing up in western North Carolina with family members and their neighbors, that there are a lot of people that aren't necessarily bad people, but have a very limited world view on race because they have not really been very exposed to other cultures. It's not always a matter of racism, but rather sometimes just ignorance. Maybe my view of what he's saying is based on that. It's not that he's saying "they were happier under Jim Crow Laws" directly, but he's speaking about that time and coming off as ignorant if he believes he can really understand how black people were feeling at the time just from seeing a limited part of people's days. I don't think he could possibly relate unless he experienced racism himself, but that would involve being immersed in a foreign culture with negative feelings towards people of his color.




  11. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    22,950

    Re: A&E Suspends Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post
    I will say that it is my perception of white people in the south, from my experiences spending summers growing up in western North Carolina with family members and their neighbors, that there are a lot of people that aren't necessarily bad people, but have a very limited world view on race because they have not really been very exposed to other cultures. It's not always a matter of racism, but rather sometimes just ignorance. Maybe my view of what he's saying is based on that. It's not that he's saying "they were happier under Jim Crow Laws" directly, but he's speaking about that time and coming off as ignorant if he believes he can really understand how black people were feeling at the time just from seeing a limited part of people's days. I don't think he could possibly relate unless he experienced racism himself, but that would involve being immersed in a foreign culture with negative feelings towards people of his color.
    Well I'm in the south and let me be the first to tell you your stereotypical view is wrong.

    Prior to hear, I lived in San Francisco for a year and I heard the N-bomb dropped there than any place I've visited / lived in Texas.

    White liberals are some of the most racist people I've ever met.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  12. #60

    Re: A&E Suspends Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post
    I will say that it is my perception of white people in the south, from my experiences spending summers growing up in western North Carolina with family members and their neighbors, that there are a lot of people that aren't necessarily bad people, but have a very limited world view on race because they have not really been very exposed to other cultures. It's not always a matter of racism, but rather sometimes just ignorance. Maybe my view of what he's saying is based on that. It's not that he's saying "they were happier under Jim Crow Laws" directly, but he's speaking about that time and coming off as ignorant if he believes he can really understand how black people were feeling at the time just from seeing a limited part of people's days. I don't think he could possibly relate unless he experienced racism himself, but that would involve being immersed in a foreign culture with negative feelings towards people of his color.
    I can sort of associate with this post...

    I grew up in Vermont. We had 1 black family in my high school. I'm not aware of any Jewish family's, I do remember a few from Pakistan, 1 from Cambodia and a Vietnamese family. The rest were straight up lilly white.
    The one Black boy in my grade, just so happened to be a trouble maker, but I correctly brushed that off due to small sample size.
    So I'm not joking, that before I went to college, my knowledge of Black people came from two sources... The Cosby Show, and then the Fresh Prince of Bel Air. Interestingly enough, that lead me to actually be VERY open minded about people of color.
    I went to College in Maine... not much change, except for the fact that we had 86 African Americans amongst over 11k graduate and undergraduates. OF those, 68 were full scholarship athletes. I know that, because it was in that little strip in Sports Illustrated one month, I think it's called "By the Numbers"
    Then I moved to MD and actually got to know some individual's of color.

    All of that was to say, that sometimes ignorance of these issues is of no fault of the individual. Some people, geographically speaking, HAVE NO CHOICE but to be ignorant.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland