Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

A&E Suspends Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty

If there is no contractual obligation for Phil Robertson to discuss his feelings on homosexuality...can A&E actually (legally) do this without some form of recourse from the Robertson family?

Also...whatever happened to freedom of speech? I understand that Phil probably should have recognized that his commentary would go viral (doubt that he cares though) and it could jeopardize their show. However, why is he not allowed to talk about what he believes in if someone asks him a question in an interview?

Seems to me that freedom of speed is really becoming something only available for a select few...
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: A&E Suspends Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty

I can't really answer these. He basically said he just doesn't get it and it's not his job to pass judgement on them.

I guess if you don't come out and say hey, gay or straight or whatever do what you want I support it, then it's considered "anti-gay".

A man who is a devout christian answered a question much like you would expect a devout christian to answer and people get upset, same with the Chick fil a guy. I don't see the big deal.

Ultimaltey though I think A & E will suffer because of this and he'll be back sooner than later.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I can't really answer these. He basically said he just doesn't get it and it's not his job to pass judgement on them.

I guess if you don't come out and say hey, gay or straight or whatever do what you want I support it, then it's considered "anti-gay".

A man who is a devout christian answered a question much like you would expect a devout christian to answer and people get upset, same with the Chick fil a guy. I don't see the big deal.

Ultimaltey though I think A & E will suffer because of this and he'll be back sooner than later.

From what I understand, they're a pretty tightly knit family. Additionally, they're already wealthy as shit from their Duck Commander/Buck Commander products...so it isn't like they need the TV show anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if they all just told A&E to go fuck themselves.

Blog Entries

Good read on the topic"

http://ideas.time.com/2013/12/19/the...ry-than-phils/
    GK Chesterton said that bigotry is “an incapacity to conceive seriously the alternative to a proposition.” If he is right—and he usually is—then I wonder if the Duck Dynasty fiasco says more about our bigotry than Phil’s.
    Side note, as often the case, the comments are mostly hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    If there is no contractual obligation for Phil Robertson to discuss his feelings on homosexuality...can A&E actually (legally) do this without some form of recourse from the Robertson family?
    Any employer can suspend an employee for cause.

Also...whatever happened to freedom of speech? I understand that Phil probably should have recognized that his commentary would go viral (doubt that he cares though) and it could jeopardize their show. However, why is he not allowed to talk about what he believes in if someone asks him a question in an interview?

Seems to me that freedom of speed is really becoming something only available for a select few...
    Freedom of speech is a protection against government abuse. That's it. All of the Bill of Rights for that matter restrains government, not a private endeavor. You, me, Uncle Phil, etc do not have freedom of speech protection from our employer.

You don't and never had freedom of speech elsewhere. In all cases, freedom of speech does not mean freedom from criticism or consequences.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Any employer can suspend an employee for cause.

Freedom of speech is a protection against government abuse. That's it. All of the Bill of Rights for that matter restrains government, not a private endeavor. You, me, Uncle Phil, etc do not have freedom of speech protection from our employer.

You don't and never had freedom of speech elsewhere. In all cases, freedom of speech does not mean freedom from criticism or consequences.
    Fair enough. You are right that the First Amendment just protects individuals from interference from the government and this is strictly an employer employee situation.

Additionally, after doing a little bit of research it would appear that their contract actually does stipulate no disparaging comments or offensive language toward gender race or anything of that nature. So in that regard that TV station has every right to suspend or fire Phil altogether for breach of contract.

I think what bothers me the most about this whole situation is that the TV station knew what kind of people they are and they knew how devout they are yet they didn't see this coming? As I said earlier I'm pretty sure that Phil nor any of them really honestly care if a TV network cancels the show not. They've made a ton of money off of their other stuff and quite honestly it doesn't really seem like any of them were really really really all about the show, especially Phil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair enough. You are right that the First Amendment just protects individuals from interference from the government and this is strictly an employer employee situation.

Additionally, after doing a little bit of research it would appear that their contract actually does stipulate no disparaging comments or offensive language toward gender race or anything of that nature. So in that regard that TV station has every right to suspend or fire Phil altogether for breach of contract.

I think what bothers me the most about this whole situation is that the TV station knew what kind of people they are and they knew how devout they are yet they didn't see this coming? As I said earlier I'm pretty sure that Phil nor any of them really honestly care if a TV network cancels the show not. They've made a ton of money off of their other stuff and quite honestly it doesn't really seem like any of them were really really really all about the show, especially Phil.
    You said it yourself. They had clauses in their contracts prohibiting this type of talk so A&E had the proper protections in place, showing they saw the potential of something like this occurring.

But I doubt anyone at A&E thought these guys would ever be in the position to discuss the pro and cons of gay marriage. It's a dumb show about duck calls. No way A&E knew it would become popular to the point they'd ever start discussing world affairs.

This is what happens when a good ol' boy talks to city folks.

You have to take culture into account when talking to someone. For a deep South Christian, Phil comes off as positively liberal. He says it's not for him to judge.

Hell, you ask most 60 year old guys from the backwoods of Louisiana about gay sex and you're lucky you don't get shot.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

The Duck Guy is back. The ducks have spoken.

Quack, quack.

What time does a duck wake up in the morning?

At the quack of dawn.

Blog Entries

Obviously I think he has the right to say whatever he wants. However, Show Business is certainly a different animal where that right seems to always have repercussions which anyone in hollywood should be aware of. To me it would be more shocking for him to have come out full on support knowing his religious beliefs so im not sure why it comes to a shock to anyone. A&E clearly prepared for this from what HR is saying but at the same time why cant they just say, its a reality show (scripted), those are his beliefs (unscripted interview) and do not represent us. The end. people need to get over being offended for differing opinions.

honestly im not sure why that shows even popular and i get most people are just pissed off hes not going to be on more so than the actual issue its raised.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

"From a public-relations standpoint, 'Duck Dynasty' is getting millions of dollars worth of free media coverage and reaching new people who will be intrigued by this controversy, and their followers have become even more dedicated."

Thompson agrees the show won't become toxic.

The GOP is going to lose this fight if they keep pushing this issue.

They're coming across as hypocrites by making this a free speech issue. It's the GOP that's always quick to point out that the first amendment is a restraint on the government. Now they're backing these boycotts of A&E?

Also, attitudes towards gay couples have been changing rapidly. They'd be well advised to at least drop the issue.