Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Re: A&E Suspends Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post

That's an interesting take...Destroyed the lives of poor people.

The welfare system is in need of major reform. But lets not act like no one on welfare has ever gotten off of it or use it to better themselves. My mother, sister, and I are prime examples of that. People complain that those on welfare are leeching off the government. Well lets fix the problem. But no, we're too concern with gay marriage, the war on Christmas, and abortion. Our priorities are out of whack. Work to fix the poverty issue and less people will be driven to welfare. Also reform it so it is less than easy to live on for an extended period of time. I don't think it should go away entirely as it can help those at the bottom get to the middle class or higher and achieve the "American Dream". But as with anything, idiots will always abuse the system/any system. Free loaders didn't just appear in the last 40 or so years. Let's have an honest open debate in this country as to why minorities, mostly blacks, are mostly in poverty and how can we change that. I guess its easier to say the government made these people fat, dumb and happy.
    Actually more whites are on welfare than blacks, but a higher percentage of blacks are on it. And I know that people use it to get back on their feet; my dad used it for a couple of months. If you want to see some truly disturbing stuff, look up what democrats were saying about welfare back when it started.

Here's an article you might find interesting. I haven't bothered to check the data Dr. Walter Williams uses due to a complete lack of interest in the subject and the fact that he's a freaking Doctor of Economics. That means expert.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...94221050061598

As for sensitivity on both sides, I realize you're not implying I'm racist. I'm an asshole. I think that there's the problem of the Boy Who Cried Wolf that's affecting race relations. This thread over the last couple of pages is a perfect example. We've established that what Robertson said wasn't inherently racist. Poor choice of words, yes, but not racist. And yet black "leaders" jump up and start screaming racism because if Jessie doesn't have his name in the paper every other day, he gets a mite antsy.

The Trevon Martin case is another example. Not the case itself because that's a hornet's nest I have no desire to poke a stick at. But when the story first broke, NBC altered the 911 call. That's not reporting. That's race baiting on an illegal scale as evidenced by Zimmerman about to win a huge settlement against them.

I treat everyone the same regardless of color. I'm an asshole with an inherent superiority complex. There's a general disdain for everyone until I get to know them. Then it usually moves from disdain to utter indifference.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

Dade brings up an interesting point.

Are minorities, black folk in particular, still oppressed?

To me it almost seems like mainstream media and people like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton do their best to make it seem that way, yet the Attorney General of the USA is black, the President is black and some of the wealthiest people in the world are black Americans (Oprah, for example).

Maybe this is something that feeds into the pre-entitlement argument?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    I treat everyone the same regardless of color. I'm an asshole with an inherent superiority complex. There's a general disdain for everyone until I get to know them. Then it usually moves from disdain to utter indifference.

Were we in the same fraternity? You literally just described 90% of my friends, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post
    I will say that it is my perception of white people in the south, from my experiences spending summers growing up in western North Carolina with family members and their neighbors, that there are a lot of people that aren't necessarily bad people, but have a very limited world view on race because they have not really been very exposed to other cultures. It's not always a matter of racism, but rather sometimes just ignorance. Maybe my view of what he's saying is based on that. It's not that he's saying "they were happier under Jim Crow Laws" directly, but he's speaking about that time and coming off as ignorant if he believes he can really understand how black people were feeling at the time just from seeing a limited part of people's days. I don't think he could possibly relate unless he experienced racism himself, but that would involve being immersed in a foreign culture with negative feelings towards people of his color.
    You don't think white people can be discriminated against? And yes, racism is simply discrimination based on the color of one's skin.

Let's see here:

I'm big and have a southern drawl so I must be dumb. I never get tired of that one.

I'm from the south so I must be racist. As alluded to in my previous post, I'm an asshole to everyone.

I've been thrown out of class because I played football. Literally, that's why my professor said I wasn't allowed back in class. As a student athlete and winner of multiple national championships, she said I was arrogant and thought I ruled the school. Now maybe she was right, but I've never had another professor say that. In fact, I was routinely praised for my hard work and dedication to my studies.

Everybody has been discriminated against. No I don't know what it's like to suffer racism. I have been discriminated against though and it sucks.

What I'm saying is that we're all ignorant of what other people have gone through. That's just common sense. HR is white and lives in the south, but I couldn't tell you what he's experienced.

And finally.

I can't tell you how much I'm gonna enjoy this.

It's not that he's saying "they were happier under Jim Crow Laws" directly, but he's speaking about that time and coming off as ignorant if he believes he can really understand how black people were feeling at the time just from seeing a limited part of people's days.
    Just curious, but anyone wanna defend Robertson's statements that black people were happier under Jim Crow laws?
    That's exactly what you said. A direct quote. There is a huge difference between being ignorant of a situation and being racist. If you had said, "anybody want to talk about Roberts making really word choices," then I wouldn't have argued. Instead, you said "anyone wanna defend Robertson's statements that black people were happier under Jim Crow laws?"

The reason I jumped to his defense is because you lied.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Dade brings up an interesting point.

Are minorities, black folk in particular, still oppressed?

To me it almost seems like mainstream media and people like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton do their best to make it seem that way, yet the Attorney General of the USA is black, the President is black and some of the wealthiest people in the world are black Americans (Oprah, for example).

Maybe this is something that feeds into the pre-entitlement argument?
    There is still racism going on. To argue that there isn't would take an interesting set of blinders.

My personal view on it is that liberals are largely to blame.

People view their groups as superior. We're all Ravens' fans so we tend to think more highly of other Ravens' fans. When you start lumping society together based on color, of course human nature is going to prevail. I can't remember who said it, but one the best quotes for this discussion is "The worst thing is a hyphenated American." What they meant was that saying African-American, Caucasian-American, Native-American etc... is stupid. We're all Americans and that should be what we're called.
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

There is still racism going on. To argue that there isn't would take an interesting set of blinders.

My personal view on it is that liberals are largely to blame.

People view their groups as superior. We're all Ravens' fans so we tend to think more highly of other Ravens' fans. When you start lumping society together based on color, of course human nature is going to prevail. I can't remember who said it, but one the best quotes for this discussion is "The worst thing is a hyphenated American." What they meant was that saying African-American, Caucasian-American, Native-American etc... is stupid. We're all Americans and that should be what we're called.
    I wasn't insinuating that racism is dead and gone.

I was active duty Navy down in Pensacola and there were a few times some buddies and I went over to Mobile for a weekend or Biloxi. I'm well aware that racism and bigotry still exist. :)

I know you weren't. My comment about blinders was a response to the inevitable remarks from the left about white people not thinking racism is as prevalent today.
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

I know you weren't. My comment about blinders was a response to the inevitable remarks from the left about white people not thinking racism is as prevalent today.
    Which is interesting to me in and of itself.

White people are supposed to think that racism is dead and gone, yet I can't tell you how many radio shows and magazines there are which say just the opposite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

That didn't last long. After a two week vacation Phil is back. It appears that many people aren' that upset about what he said.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    That didn't last long. After a two week vacation Phil is back. It appears that many people aren' that upset about what he said.
    What this shows me is that people are tired of zealots. Both sides have 'em, and both sides are really tired of 'em.
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

I think it shows that money trumps anything. Way to much money being made for them not to keep that show once it was apparent the rest of the cast would stop filming.

I think the latest video (2009) of him advocating marrying 15-16 year old girls (age of consent in LA is 17 ftr) is probably more telling of Phil Robertson. Everything was opinion, whether racist, degrading or whatever your take is. hard not to take his comments as advocating other men to marry underage girls, as he quite literally put it that way.

The biggest problem with Phil Robertson isnt that he mixes words. Its that hes speaking from a guy thats lived in a different era. you put phil back in the 50s early 60s and he seems pretty normal. 20 year old marrying a 16 year old? not really to odd. Not liking or understand gays? not really uncommon. Not fully comprehending race relations? I think thats fair to say was pretty common in his day.

You put my grandpa in front of a camera he may have said some off the wall comments as well. cant wait to see all the supporters of his "marry 15 year olds" speech though, you know before women get all uppity at 20.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I think it shows that money trumps anything. Way to much money being made for them not to keep that show once it was apparent the rest of the cast would stop filming.

I think the latest video (2009) of him advocating marrying 15-16 year old girls (age of consent in LA is 17 ftr) is probably more telling of Phil Robertson. Everything was opinion, whether racist, degrading or whatever your take is. hard not to take his comments as advocating other men to marry underage girls, as he quite literally put it that way.

The biggest problem with Phil Robertson isnt that he mixes words. Its that hes speaking from a guy thats lived in a different era. you put phil back in the 50s early 60s and he seems pretty normal. 20 year old marrying a 16 year old? not really to odd. Not liking or understand gays? not really uncommon. Not fully comprehending race relations? I think thats fair to say was pretty common in his day.

You put my grandpa in front of a camera he may have said some off the wall comments as well. cant wait to see all the supporters of his "marry 15 year olds" speech though, you know before women get all uppity at 20.
    Wasn't his marrying 15 year old comment to someone who was close in age?