Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: A&E Suspends Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Equal Opportunity Employment does not protect Independent Contractors. Otherwise he "MAY" have a case.
    That's not accurate.

IF he were a direct employee of A&E, I think it is safe to say that he was canned for his religious beliefs, despite the company using the language that he was suspended for "his opinion".
    Bigotry wrapped in "religious belief" is still bigotry. So were the Dixiecrats of the 50's and 60's simply displaying their religious beliefs when they used the Bible as a reason to promote segregation (i.e. mongrel races) or speak out against interracial marriage? Because that was precisely the same argument and they used the exact same Bible verses that people like Uncle Phil used.

I think A&E very clearly showed that they are the intolerant ones here, as is often the case with Liberals.
    Totally odd statement. So A&E is simply a collection of Liberals? Care to back that up? Because when I look at their show lineup, I see a lot of shows that cater to anyone but Liberals.

It appears HR, that you don't watch the show. It's not really about duck calls, per se... well, it obviously is, but its more a statement about family values in a christian family in the bayou. Much more of the show is related to the grandparents watching the grandchildren, and every episode ends with a family meal. Their faith is worn plainly on their sleeve. Being anti-organized religion, I don't find their portrayal of faith to be in any way offensive. They truly appear to be welcoming, salt of the earth individuals that I think I would enjoy greatly spending time with.
    "Salt of the Earth" individuals can be bigots too, as the case with the Robertson clan.

Houston, have you even seen the entire interview?

After the way GLAAD went after him, Phil is coming out of this one of the most popular figures in America exactly because he DIDN'T act like a bigot. GLAAD did.

bigoted: having or revealing an obstinate belief in the superiority of one's own opinions and a prejudiced intolerance of the opinions of others.

Phil was asked what he thought was sinful. That's when he said sexual immorality. He also pointed out that it was God's job to judge sinners, not his.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

If I were to make comments of a political or religious nature at work, and doing so reflected on my boss in a way he didn't appreciate, I would be fired.

So would any of you.

Why again does Phil deserve treatment any different?
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Houston, have you even seen the entire interview?

After the way GLAAD went after him, Phil is coming out of this one of the most popular figures in America exactly because he DIDN'T act like a bigot. GLAAD did.

bigoted: having or revealing an obstinate belief in the superiority of one's own opinions and a prejudiced intolerance of the opinions of others.

Phil was asked what he thought was sinful. That's when he said sexual immorality. He also pointed out that it was God's job to judge sinners, not his.
    I've read the transcripts of this interview AND other public comments he's made about gay people in general.

It's just as you defined it, bigotry, and it's wrapped in the false front of "religious beliefs".

If you change the object of his words and say black people or hispanics etc., it's evident. But when it's gay people, it's somehow ok? That's the height of hypocrisy.

He's certainly entitled to his opinion and I will support to the death his right to say what he feels. But nobody is immune to the consequences or the criticism of of his opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    If I were to make comments of a political or religious nature at work, and doing so reflected on my boss in a way he didn't appreciate, I would be fired.

So would any of you.

Why again does Phil deserve treatment any different?
    Because his religion says so. Apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I've read the transcripts of this interview AND other public comments he's made about gay people in general.

It's just as you defined it, bigotry, and it's wrapped in the false front of "religious beliefs".

If you change the object of his words and say black people or hispanics etc., it's evident. But when it's gay people, it's somehow ok? That's the height of hypocrisy.

He's certainly entitled to his opinion and I will support to the death his right to say what he feels. But nobody is immune to the consequences or the criticism of of his opinion.

Show me where Phil was intolerant of others. He said it's a sin, which is his opinion, and also that he didn't understand the attraction, which is also his opinion. He then said he loves everybody and it's not for him to judge. He never said they shouldn't be allowed to do what they want, which is a far cry from what GLAAD said.

As for him being free of consequences, you'll never hear an argument from me about that. A person is responsible for their actions. I just don't see where what he said can be considered bigoted. Wrong, sure. But not bigoted.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

There was nothing remotely bigoted about what he said.

That said, obviously A&E can do whatever it wants with its network and the 'show.'

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...john-osullivan

Blog Entries

The rest of the family told A&E "No Phil? No show."
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Isn't their net worth something like $400 Million?

If so, I bet they simply walk off the show.

Blog Entries

They were stupid wealthy before the show was even considered.

I mean, their original Duck Commander hand carved duck call is $50 retail. They have limited edition duck calls that go upwards of $300.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

That's not accurate.

Bigotry wrapped in "religious belief" is still bigotry. So were the Dixiecrats of the 50's and 60's simply displaying their religious beliefs when they used the Bible as a reason to promote segregation (i.e. mongrel races) or speak out against interracial marriage? Because that was precisely the same argument and they used the exact same Bible verses that people like Uncle Phil used.

Totally odd statement. So A&E is simply a collection of Liberals? Care to back that up? Because when I look at their show lineup, I see a lot of shows that cater to anyone but Liberals.

"Salt of the Earth" individuals can be bigots too, as the case with the Robertson clan.
    So independent contractors are protected by Equal Opportunity? That's not what my few minutes of research turned up, but you are married to a labor lawyer if memory serves, so that could easily trump my google abilities.

The worst thing he said was that it was a sin... that's not bigotry in my book, that is one's interpretation of the bible. He didn't try and slight the group or stop their practices, he was simply asked what he thought was a sin, and according to the bible, homosexuality is a sin.
    I simply equated A&E's actions to typical liberal actions, not stating that A&E is a collection of liberals...
    They sure are tolerant, as long as you agree with their POV.
    And that is sort of my point, I find it VERY odd for A&E, who's audience almost certainly agree's with Phil, to back up the extreme minority enveloped by GLAAD instead of their target market. This could very well be a fatal blow for the network.

Sure, slat of the Earth people can be bigoted, but I don't agree that this shows the Robertson's to be bigots. If he actually made inflammatory (evil, vile) statements as GLAAD suggests I would agree with you, but he did NOT.

Blog Entries

And start a new one on a different channel making more money. No way AE lets that happen,