Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 81
  1. #31

    Re: A&E Suspends Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty



    There was nothing remotely bigoted about what he said.

    That said, obviously A&E can do whatever it wants with its network and the 'show.'

    http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...john-osullivan




  2. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,932
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: A&E Suspends Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty

    The rest of the family told A&E "No Phil? No show."
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,535

    Re: A&E Suspends Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty

    Isn't their net worth something like $400 Million?

    If so, I bet they simply walk off the show.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,932
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: A&E Suspends Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Isn't their net worth something like $400 Million?

    If so, I bet they simply walk off the show.
    They were stupid wealthy before the show was even considered.

    I mean, their original Duck Commander hand carved duck call is $50 retail. They have limited edition duck calls that go upwards of $300.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  5. #35

    Re: A&E Suspends Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    That's not accurate.



    Bigotry wrapped in "religious belief" is still bigotry. So were the Dixiecrats of the 50's and 60's simply displaying their religious beliefs when they used the Bible as a reason to promote segregation (i.e. mongrel races) or speak out against interracial marriage? Because that was precisely the same argument and they used the exact same Bible verses that people like Uncle Phil used.



    Totally odd statement. So A&E is simply a collection of Liberals? Care to back that up? Because when I look at their show lineup, I see a lot of shows that cater to anyone but Liberals.



    "Salt of the Earth" individuals can be bigots too, as the case with the Robertson clan.
    So independent contractors are protected by Equal Opportunity? That's not what my few minutes of research turned up, but you are married to a labor lawyer if memory serves, so that could easily trump my google abilities.

    The worst thing he said was that it was a sin... that's not bigotry in my book, that is one's interpretation of the bible. He didn't try and slight the group or stop their practices, he was simply asked what he thought was a sin, and according to the bible, homosexuality is a sin.
    I simply equated A&E's actions to typical liberal actions, not stating that A&E is a collection of liberals...
    They sure are tolerant, as long as you agree with their POV.
    And that is sort of my point, I find it VERY odd for A&E, who's audience almost certainly agree's with Phil, to back up the extreme minority enveloped by GLAAD instead of their target market. This could very well be a fatal blow for the network.

    Sure, slat of the Earth people can be bigoted, but I don't agree that this shows the Robertson's to be bigots. If he actually made inflammatory (evil, vile) statements as GLAAD suggests I would agree with you, but he did NOT.




  6. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    13,453
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: A&E Suspends Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Isn't their net worth something like $400 Million?

    If so, I bet they simply walk off the show.
    And start a new one on a different channel making more money. No way AE lets that happen,




  7. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    1,259

    Re: A&E Suspends Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty

    Just curious, but anyone wanna defend Robertson's statements that black people were happier under Jim Crow laws?

    Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2




  8. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    8,273

    Re: A&E Suspends Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post
    Just curious, but anyone wanna defend Robertson's statements that black people were happier under Jim Crow laws?

    Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2
    No wants to touch those comments, because they are indefensible.




  9. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    1,259

    Re: A&E Suspends Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    No wants to touch those comments, because they are indefensible.
    Well, I'm <i>hoping</i> no one wants to try and defend them.

    Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2




  10. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    8,273

    Re: A&E Suspends Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post
    Well, I'm <i>hoping</i> no one wants to try and defend them.

    Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2
    I've seen people try and defend it.




  11. #41

    Re: A&E Suspends Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post
    Just curious, but anyone wanna defend Robertson's statements that black people were happier under Jim Crow laws?

    Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2
    "I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field. ...They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’ — not a word! ...Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues."

    Show me where he said they were happier under Jim Crow laws? I'm sorry, I'll point you to the link.

    youreanidiot.com

    He said that they were happier pre-entitlement programs. Ever considered that maybe he was right? Ever stop to think that maybe humans, as has been shown throughout history, are happier working towards a goal than having things handed to 'em? No, you probably didn't. In your mind the only path to true happiness is the Government.

    Robertson never said anything about Jim Crow laws, or that black people were happier being slaves. You're just incapable of doing any research and blasting your barely cognizant drivel on a subject you have no clue about.

    But what do I know. I'm only capable of looking up something before I talk about it.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, Hi Im Ben may I have a drink please?
    ProFootballMock




  12. #42

    Re: A&E Suspends Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty

    I'm more offended by another inference that black people are lazy and welfare leaches. It would have sounded better if that statement included Americans of all races and backgrounds.

    I don't think he's racist...ignorant to a degree, but not hateful.

    You weren't going to see too many black people expressing anger/frustration at "whitey" in the south during Jim Crow times on the fields because lynching was still very real.

    The homosexual comments to me were pretty tame.

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  13. #43

    Re: A&E Suspends Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty

    I can see where that could be implied, even if I don't think that was what he meant. Saying something like, "people were happier working than living on welfare", would've been much better.

    But to claim Robertson said that blacks were happier under Jim Crow laws is a blatant lie.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, Hi Im Ben may I have a drink please?
    ProFootballMock




  14. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    1,259

    Re: A&E Suspends Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    "I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. Im with the blacks, because were white trash. Were going across the field. ...Theyre singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, I tell you what: These doggone white people not a word! ...Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues."

    Show me where he said they were happier under Jim Crow laws? I'm sorry, I'll point you to the link.

    youreanidiot.com

    He said that they were happier pre-entitlement programs. Ever considered that maybe he was right? Ever stop to think that maybe humans, as has been shown throughout history, are happier working towards a goal than having things handed to 'em? No, you probably didn't. In your mind the only path to true happiness is the Government.

    Robertson never said anything about Jim Crow laws, or that black people were happier being slaves. You're just incapable of doing any research and blasting your barely cognizant drivel on a subject you have no clue about.

    But what do I know. I'm only capable of looking up something before I talk about it.
    Please enlighten me... What time period do you think he was talking about?

    How can you not see that he's making a dumb statement about supposedly being able to relate to blacks in the south at a time when they had to fear redneck justice if they even looked at a white woman the wrong way? Consider that he started at LTU in 1966, just a year after Jim Crow laws were repealed. Are you telling me this was after he went to college? He just got his degrees and then went to go work on farms picking cotton afterwards?

    He uses the whole thing as a preface to blasting blacks on welfare as if there aren't a boatload of poor white people on welfare themselves.

    The only possible defense is that he's an idiot who didn't realize there were different rules for whites and blacks in the time period he's talking about.

    Thanks for the hateful personal attacks by the way. They really drive your point home.

    Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by OhThePossibilities; 12-26-2013 at 04:37 AM.




  15. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    1,259

    Re: A&E Suspends Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    I've seen people try and defend it.
    And now so have I. Oh well.

    Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland