Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Should we be looking RB in this draft?

Not the strongest of classes for backs this year, but there are some nice options to look at. I'm not saying take one with one of our top two picks, but with Rice severely slowing down, Pierce having a sophomore slump (and very prone to injury), we should be looking at an explosive back for this offense imo. We should take WR, TE, or OL (depending on what we do in FA), before we get another HB, but say we land a big TE and WR in the first two rounds, whats to stop us completely upgrading the offense by taking a back who can contribute from day 1 in the 3rd rd? Cincy did the same last year when they took Bernard, and he has been an absolute stud in his rookie year.

If we go this direction, we should be looking at a smaller scat back type player, not a power runner as Pierce is kind of already that (although we totally use him wrong, having him run too many stretch plays, when he should be the one pounding the ball up the middle, which is what they do with Rice and fail nearly all the time). So what are everyone's thoughts on Ka'Deem Carey out of Arizona? I have a 2nd rd grade on him currently, but because of value, lack of size, and the devaluation of the position, I expect him to drop into the 3rd rd, where we could make moves to get him.

Blog Entries

Re: Should we be looking RB in this draft?

We should be looking RB in every draft.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Good post. I definitely agree; RB is a need, and preferably a shifty Darren Sproles type of guy who can be a threat in the passing game. Ka'Deem Carey is definitely a good player, although taking a RB in the 3rd might make me a little squeamish, what with all of our other needs.

Another guy to look at is Dri Archer. 5'8, about 180lbs, runs the 40 in the mid 4.2's. Absurdly fast, the guy is basically Tavon Austin playing for a worse team. You talk about guys having a 2nd gear... this guy has a THIRD gear. He's so fast to the hole, but he hits 2nd gear in the open field, and then he's got ANOTHER burst of speed to separate from the 2nd level. Pretty crazy. I would grab him in the 5th round if we have a compensatory pick there... check this video out.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    We should be looking RB in every draft.
    Affirmative.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

I like the idea of Dri Archer as a mid round pick.

Again though, I just feel like the Ravens (right now) don't have a damn clue on how to use someone like Archer.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Again though, I just feel like the Ravens (right now) don't have a damn clue on how to use someone like Archer.
    Agree. If Caldwell moves on by getting a head coaching gig (and I don't see him moving on otherwise) then maybe the new OC could use an Archer.

As to a RB, Ray Rice isn't going anywhere. Not until after the 2105 season. His contract truly sucks for the Ravens, though I am happy for him. So to pick a RB, we are picking someone to compete with Pierce. Pierce's contract which goes for 2 more years after this one, does not penalize the Ravens if they cut him. In fact they save a bit-431K against the cap next year and 660K against the cap in 2015. So he's in theory vulnerable. It all depends on if the ravens think his disappointing season is due to the OL or not.

With Rice we know it is partly the OL, and partly his injuries. This is Pierce's 2nd year in the league. If he can't be depended on to provide good backup to a wearing down Rice, including good blitz pickup as part of the skillset, then we should look this year to draft a RB and be serious about it. So I would be in favor of a bigger back because of the blitz pickup thing especially as we are phasing out a FB.

Blog Entries

AZ snagged Ellington late. He would have been a nice get.

Blog Entries

The Ravens could certainly use a back like that, but I honestly don't think they'd need to draft that guy. I believe they could find that type of guy as an UDFA. Also, I think the Ravens could use a back like. and a Power Back. Pierce presents the most power out of the backs currently at their disposal, but he's not a full time power back. He has more speed to the edge, than your average power back. He's more like Arian Foster, who Houston consistently tries to use on the edge. I think the Ravens need both.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

This is my view on it too. It would be great if they could get a guy like Ellington from Clemson last year and make him a difference maker on offense, but the Ravens have consistently shown to misuse specialty players on offense. Juscyck is the most recent example. Boldin was often misused too.

I pretty much agree with you all. I think they should be looking at RB's. Maybe we find a diamond in the rough in the mid to late rd's to maybe develop for the future. I'd love Archer but like wicked pointed out, would we utilize him or would he become a glorified kick return that we constantly complain about getting more touches?

I feel like the Ravens will try to improve the oline and hope Rice bounces back. I just hope they don't burn too many resources and picks to do that because its so unlikely Rice is ever even close to the player that he was. Teams needs to add weapons in the pass game and rely on Flacco and his receivers. That would help Rice and allow the team to better stomach being stuck with Rice's deal while they have to.

Blog Entries

Mike Evans dropping in the 1st, ASJ dropping in the 2nd, and Carey dropping to the 3rd to our lap would be one hell of a draft.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Good post. I definitely agree; RB is a need, and preferably a shifty Darren Sproles type of guy who can be a threat in the passing game. Ka'Deem Carey is definitely a good player, although taking a RB in the 3rd might make me a little squeamish, what with all of our other needs.

Another guy to look at is Dri Archer. 5'8, about 180lbs, runs the 40 in the mid 4.2's. Absurdly fast, the guy is basically Tavon Austin playing for a worse team. You talk about guys having a 2nd gear... this guy has a THIRD gear. He's so fast to the hole, but he hits 2nd gear in the open field, and then he's got ANOTHER burst of speed to separate from the 2nd level. Pretty crazy. I would grab him in the 5th round if we have a compensatory pick there... check this video out.

What in all things Holy? This guy is faassssst.

Ok, I'd like him as a 5th rounder. But I kind of think we need a guy who can play every down because I'm not even sure if Rice and Pierce are every down backs at this point. Carey out of Arizona could be an every down back in the mold of a G Bernard. Yes, we do have needs, but we're just not going to fill them all in the draft, we may as well focus on the O in the first 3 rds like we did last year with the D, and use whatever cap space we have to sign some vets to strengthen the Oline, and get a vet FS to replace Ihedigbo. If Suggs gets extended, or cut, we will probably allocate that money to re-sign Art Jones and Daryl Smith. That leaves us to truly focus on getting play makers, which is what this team needs on the O.