Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Daryl Smith next year

Has he priced himself out of our range? His deal this year is a steal. I get that we may not afford him -- but is Brown ready to take over? Or do we let Brown grow into the role?

Smith deserves a deal, but we may not have the juice to do it.

When you consider that Pitta, Monroe and possibly J. Jones and D. Smith need new deals, cutting Suggs (per the other thread) may make sense and then make us draft another pass rusher.

Will Smith be back? I have my doubts - particularly with Arthur Brown on the roster (even though Brown hasn't played as often or as well as some of us hoped).

Monroe, Pitta and Jacoby are probably higher priority because there is no clear replacement for them on the roster.

What do you all think?

Blog Entries

Re: Daryl Smith next year

The way he organized the defense Monday night, and the plays he's made all season, I think he's made himself a top priority. I say they will find a way to bring him back.

I know, I know, the cap... and all that. But the cap has always been there, and the Ravens retain nearly everybody they ever care to, one way or another.

Blog Entries

I think that if the team wants him back, he'll be back. Maybe it's just me but I don't see a 32 year old, 10 year vet inside linebacker getting a deal that the Ravens can't match or beat, even factoring in how well he has played this year. A guy like that isn't getting a large deal. Just a matter of whether the team will want him back given that they have Brown to fill that position.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

As good as he is, ILB is still not a premium position. I think we'll get him if we want.

5. Re: Daryl Smith next year

He's been a good part of the defense the entire season. He's got to be happy playing on a team that's winning more than the Jag's did in most of those ten years. I think he'll work with Ozzie to stay with us if we can get him a good deal. Keep up the great work Daryl we still have more work to do this year, but your first SB ring will be worth the grind.

Blog Entries

Older middle linebackers have not had a lot of interest on the free agent market the past couple of seasons. Ravenalytics is right. If the Ravens want to keep Smith they should be able to.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I think that if the team wants him back, he'll be back. Maybe it's just me but I don't see a 32 year old, 10 year vet inside linebacker getting a deal that the Ravens can't match or beat, even factoring in how well he has played this year. A guy like that isn't getting a large deal. Just a matter of whether the team will want him back given that they have Brown to fill that position.
    Exactly. If the Ravens had cap room for him this year (when the sky was falling and "we'd never be able to sign anybody, and we were headed for a 4-12 season and Harbaugh should be fired, and this is all Ozzie's stupid fault for winning a super bowl instead of planning for the future" .....) then they'll be able to make cap room for him next year too. I'm sure they'll try and get him a raise, but it won't/can't be a huge one. While I wouldn't say he'll give us a discount, I would say he's been in the league a long time, made a lot of money, and if he's smart he's got plenty saved, and (I hope) would rather be on a contender and play in meaningful / big games. Ultimately that's what all great competitors want. And I see nothing about Daryl Smith that says he's anything other than a total pro and a great competitor.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Agree, and let's look at this perspective...a guy who played for the Jaguars for 9 years must be thrilled to be in a playoff chase. He's already made million$ and perhaps now is looking for a trip to the Super Bowl. He also looks very comfortable in the middle of the Ravens defense. I think he will be playing in Baltimore in 2014... Bc

I think he'll get a fair deal from Ozzie and that he will take it. On top of that, I can't see many guys wanting to be on three teams in three years...especially, if ours makes the POs again; something DSmitty hasn't done since 2007.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Agree, and let's look at this perspective...a guy who played for the Jaguars for 9 years must be thrilled to be in a playoff chase. He's already made million$ and perhaps now is looking for a trip to the Super Bowl. He also looks very comfortable in the middle of the Ravens defense. I think he will be playing in Baltimore in 2014... Bc
    While i agree with what you're saying, technically, if he had been with them 9 years, he had been to the playoffs with them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    While i agree with what you're saying, technically, if he had been with them 9 years, he had been to the playoffs with them.
    Yes I know, but how many times? I think someone posted the Jags last trip to playoffs was 2007. That's a long hiatus. DS knows the Ravens are annual playoff contenders. Older players usually seek that out... Bc

I think they find a way to bring him back. I see Brown being part of the ILB mix next year. McLain's cap hit in 2014 is $4.4 mil. Not sure what they'll do with him. But the best scenario IMO, would be to have Smyth and Brown in the middle.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis